1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Wicked Wheel install

Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 AM
seanlleiker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wicked Wheel install

I just purchased the WW. I'm reading that some guys don't like it and some are saying it is bad for your turbo. I do pull a 10,000 pound horse trailer and I'm looking for a little pick me up. I have a 4" straight pipe and an open air cleaner. What do you guys think of the wicked wheel. Oh yeah, I have a 97 F350.

Sean

Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
IIRC, 94.5-97 PSD's came with a "WW" style wheel installed from the factory. This is an upgrade [EDIT: DOWNGRADE, SEE BELOW POSTS] for 99+ SD's to help with turbo surge. Unless yours is damaged, there would be no performance upgrade from install the wheel. Someone can correct me if I'm terribly mistaken.

Robb

Last edited by Robbgt; 01-10-2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: See Below Posts
Old 01-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
You just bought the same wheel that is already in your turbo.

Bob just named it something fancy to get sales up. its just the OBS turbo wheel. He sells it to SD guys to band-aid the turbo.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Robbgt
IIRC, 94.5-97 PSD's came with a "WW" style wheel installed from the factory. This is an upgrade for 99+ SD's to help with turbo surge. Unless yours is damaged, there would be no performance upgrade to reason to install the wheel. Someone can correct me if I'm terribly mistaken.

Robb
It's not an "upgrade" for the SD wheel.
The SD Wheel is far more aggressive than our turbo wheel.

However, you are not incorrect on the other info.

Surge is from lack of air to the wheel.
It's not like surge in a gas engine. Most people mistake turbo surge for bucking or other things.

To fix the SD surge issue, you should put a bigger intake on the turbo. Viola, more power, instead of a band-aid to cover up the problem.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
It's not an "upgrade" for the SD wheel.
The SD Wheel is far more aggressive than our turbo wheel.

However, you are not incorrect on the other info.

It's not like surge in a gas engine. Most people mistake turbo surge for bucking or other things.

To fix the SD surge issue, you should put a bigger intake on the turbo. Viola, more power, instead of a band-aid to cover up the problem.
Ah, thanks Talyn, I knew it was something like that

Old 01-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Ah, thanks Talyn, I knew it was something like that
It really is bad info, and I believed it as you had for a few years till I learned it right.

But we are all good now. =)

Old 01-10-2011, 11:37 AM
seanlleiker
Junior User
Thanks for the information, I will return the wheel. Is there something I can do to the turbo without buying a whole new turbo. I've seen a new cover you can buy with a bigger port. Does this help? Thanks for your guys help

Sean

Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by seanlleiker
Thanks for the information, I will return the wheel. Is there something I can do to the turbo without buying a whole new turbo. I've seen a new cover you can buy with a bigger port. Does this help? Thanks for your guys help

Sean
Nobody makes a ported shroud housing for the OBS turbo that I'm aware of. There may have been something at one time, but not anymore.
What are you trying to accomplish? You can install a 1.0 exhaust housing to get a little quicker spool up. Other than that there aren't many options for the turbos for these trucks.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Talyn
Not true. Surge is when the turbo is producing more air than the engine can use, so it backs up in the intake until the air has nowhere to go.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:04 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
What are your goals for the truck? What do you use it for? We might be able to give you a little direction rather than having you buy stuff and then ask if its a good buy...

Old 01-10-2011, 01:44 PM
seanlleiker
Junior User
I pull a 4 horse trailer with living quarters, it weighs 10,000 without horses. I'm just trying to make it pull a bit better. I have a 4" straight pipe with an open air cleaner. I have shimmed the fuel regulator. I was hoping to get my turbo to spool a little faster. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

Old 01-10-2011, 02:01 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Talk to Jim at Rosewood diesel for an upgrade on your stock injectors. Not near as expensive as you may think. First though, put some gauges in, pyro, boost, tranny temp if auto. Add a good custom chip and you're good to go. My trailer pictured weighs +-16k loaded and I set the cruise at 75 and go, kick off in hills to keep exh. temps down. Mods are in my sig. Look into an intercooler also means you pull a lot of weight. DIY an intercooler for about 400 bucks, give or take. If you do this, you will need a bigger hpop to run the injectors fully, also not near as expensive as you may think. Talk to joey@terminatorengineering for help there. Your stock turbo is fine with upgrades like these

Old 01-10-2011, 02:02 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Towing that much you may not want to go with a smaller exhaust housing, it can bring the EGT's up.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:33 PM
seanlleiker
Junior User
thanks, I will take a look. thanks 427 fordman

Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Depending on how much you are looking to spend... A good start for that would be a custom tuned chip with a tow program.

You have the exhaust and intake which are good. Next would be gauges to keep an eye on temps. Most important gauge is a Pyrometer or Exhaust gas temps gauge.

So gauges, then custom tuned chip. See what that does for you. If your still looking for more, you will need to build your injectors which can start to get spendy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wicked Wheel install