Modular V10 (6.8l)  

v10 check engine light NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 07:10 PM
bad69boss
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking v10 check engine light NEED HELP!!!

just picked up my new (to me)pull vehicle f250xl short bed crew 2000 v10 auto. We drove it from houston tex. to santa barbara california. On the way home, one of the stops was ft. stockton. the next day we filled up at a chevron. when we pulled away the check engine light went on. We read the manual and it read, it could of be bad gas or emission. after 3 more fill ups and 2 cold starts it is still on. what do you guys think? i would like to fix this my self...

Old 03-06-2003, 08:04 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Go to Autozone or aplace like that. They usually will do a scan for free.

Are you experiencing any driveability concerns?

When you filled up was the truck running?

Old 03-06-2003, 10:09 PM
bad69boss
New User
Lightbulb v10 check engine light NEED HELP!!!

My ten runs great. no drivability probs. truck was off at the time of fill up. service engine light stays on does not blink. i was thinking it may be the censor located on the exhaust pipe. i noticed that one of the 3to4 wires conected to the censor was bare. i dont know if this would make a difference of how the censor reads and if it would set off the service light.

Old 03-08-2003, 09:22 PM
bad69boss
New User
Angry v10 check engine light NEED HELP!!!

Light has gone off. bad gas. do not get gas at the chevron satation at fort stockton in texas...

Old 03-09-2003, 11:17 AM
Karic
Elder User

Glad you found the problem.

It's my understanding (Monsta, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that a steady "check engine" light is either a poorly seated fuel cap, or the truck doesn't like the gas. If so, it would take some time to clean out the fuel system.

A flashing light indicates either an emissions problem or trouble with the checking system itself.

Just my .02 worth.

Rick

Old 03-09-2003, 02:21 PM
alieng
New User

Mine has come on too.... I'm not sure what caused it.

It stayed on, several refuels.... ran great, no problems driving or towing. A friend of mine (happens to be a mechanic) told me to disconnect the battery and reconnect it after a couple of minutes to reset the trouble code. I did and the light went out and stayed out for some time. Finally, on a long trip it came back on, stayed on same thing.

About a month ago I changed the oil and filter, did the battery trick again and it hasn't come on again since. I'd have him scan the thing to find the trouble code but he's 1000 miles away. If it comes on again, I'll have to go to a dealer to have it checked.

Anyway, wanted to get the battery trick out there in case it's a fluke and comes on again. Apparently if there really is a problem, it'll come right back on.

Bryan