Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overhead Console Light Sockets Broken Copper Ring

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:32 AM
7.3 Ex
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I installed brighter Sylvania bulbs into my dome lights and after a couple weeks noticed tonight they were no longer coming on. Found the same problems that if I wiggled the bulb holders the lights would flash off and on. The ribbons are torn. What's worse is that the plastic mounts melted to the holders and I had to shatter the bulbs to get everything apart. I've tried using a rasp by hand but the plastic is too hard so I'll need to use an air tool to reopen the holes.

Still can't fit a stock sized bulb into the openings and the bulb holders are melted and busted. If I can acquire replacement bulb holders I could fit smaller bulbs into the same holes. I don't want to replace the entire console. I'm considering using the three wires that go to the ribbon and wiring in my own lights. What would be nice is if anyone knows of an aftermarket kit that would upgrade the present dome lights. I still have the cover and buttons and would definitely prefer to have the lights operate as they did from the OEM.

If no kit is readily available, what are some suggestions for better bulbs and ways to mount and wire new upgraded replacement lighting in the same dome light location?

Old 03-12-2011, 05:35 AM
wikdwest
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 7.3 Ex
I installed brighter Sylvania bulbs into my dome lights and after a couple weeks noticed tonight they were no longer coming on. Found the same problems that if I wiggled the bulb holders the lights would flash off and on. The ribbons are torn. What's worse is that the plastic mounts melted to the holders and I had to shatter the bulbs to get everything apart. I've tried using a rasp by hand but the plastic is too hard so I'll need to use an air tool to reopen the holes.

Still can't fit a stock sized bulb into the openings and the bulb holders are melted and busted. If I can acquire replacement bulb holders I could fit smaller bulbs into the same holes. I don't want to replace the entire console. I'm considering using the three wires that go to the ribbon and wiring in my own lights. What would be nice is if anyone knows of an aftermarket kit that would upgrade the present dome lights. I still have the cover and buttons and would definitely prefer to have the lights operate as they did from the OEM.

If no kit is readily available, what are some suggestions for better bulbs and ways to mount and wire new upgraded replacement lighting in the same dome light location?
Well, something like this is my backup plan if I get tired of trying to piece together factory parts from the junk yard.

24x LED Super White Interior DOME Lighting w/ ADAPTERS - eBay (item 330541214630 end time Mar-18-11 22:04:41 PDT)

Good luck

Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 AM
ericmmcv
Junior User
7.3 EX I bought a complete console off of ebay for 75.00. I only needed the actual on/off buttons for the dome light. The rest of the console is complete and has what you need I believe. Take a picture of your console and the light bulb set up and I can send you a picture of what I have. I think everything you need I have in the existing console.
2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion Overhead Console - eBay (item 270711630492 end time Mar-01-11 13:18:27 PST)
That is the link to the one I bought.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:09 PM
7.3 Ex
Tuned
Thanks ericmmcv. Probably a few days before I have time but I'll look into it.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Super Bright LEDs ? LED Lights, Bulbs, and Accessories
RV bulbs section
T10-PCB-xWHP9
Cut the copper trace connectors off of the wiring in the OH console,and the T10 plug off of these lamps and direct wire them. Zip tie to the black plastic "cage", and reinstall the cover.
Done. No more problems-ever.
JL

Old 03-19-2011, 01:39 AM
7.3 Ex
Tuned
Johnny Langton, thanks for posting that information. Very cool website. I read on their site that their LED bulbs are not as bright as standard halogens. The reason I installed the Sylvanias was that one bulb was out and that I needed brighter light. I am assuming their additional brightness was accompanied with much greater heat that melted the bulb holders and plastic cage.

My copper ribbon is probably too torn to reuse. I'm assuming that was the ground. Do the LED bulbs not require any ground? Or is there a ground wire up there at that T10 plug I can tap into? Are there any LEDs that will fit in there and be of competitive brightness to the Sylvanias? I'm all about zip ties if that's all it takes to mount new lights.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:26 AM
7.3 Ex
Tuned
Lightbulb Replacement T10mm Wedge Base Sockets

Answered my own question looking at more pictures online that LED bulbs obviously require hot and ground. Is it the middle wire in the console that is the ground? For anyone looking to replace the bulb holder in the console that same website offers them for the 194 bulb that twists to lock into place like instrument cluster bulbs. The part is T10S-TW.

T10mm Wedge Base Sockets Specifications

Old 03-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Johnny Langton, thanks for posting that information. Very cool website. I read on their site that their LED bulbs are not as bright as standard halogens. The reason I installed the Sylvanias was that one bulb was out and that I needed brighter light. I am assuming their additional brightness was accompanied with much greater heat that melted the bulb holders and plastic cage.

My copper ribbon is probably too torn to reuse. I'm assuming that was the ground. Do the LED bulbs not require any ground? Or is there a ground wire up there at that T10 plug I can tap into? Are there any LEDs that will fit in there and be of competitive brightness to the Sylvanias? I'm all about zip ties if that's all it takes to mount new lights.
The single replacement bulbs are not as bright as the same in an incandescent,but the LED board style with 10 or so of the high power LED's is brighter. If I remember right,the center was the ground,and each sided was a switched positive for the overhead lamps.
JL

Old 07-16-2012, 07:21 AM
samw57
Cross-Country
Johnny,
can you post some pictures of how you did yours? I'd like to see it before I tear into mine.
thanks.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:34 AM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also had this problem, replaced just the light part of the console with one from an Expedition. Changed the bulbs to the led's and now there's plenty of light.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
samw57
Cross-Country
my plug is fine, it's my ribbon that is broken. it's my drivers side ribbon.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:38 PM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a few consoles on eBay right now.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Sian_Sam
New User
If anyone is still having issues with their dome lights; I just did a write up on the bulb conversion that I did. Total cost: $13 + a little time. Like you guys, there was no way in hell I was going to pay Ford to replace the entire console.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:35 PM
samw57
Cross-Country
Yes, I still need to replace mine. You have any part lists or instructions/pictures?

Originally Posted by Sian_Sam
If anyone is still having issues with their dome lights; I just did a write up on the bulb conversion that I did. Total cost: $13 + a little time. Like you guys, there was no way in hell I was going to pay Ford to replace the entire console.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Sian_Sam
New User
Yes, the write up has a parts list and pictures. It is titled "burnt dome light conversion/fix"

It is currently on the second page of threads, or find it through my user name.

Quick Reply: Overhead Console Light Sockets Broken Copper Ring