Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Coastie6
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starting problem

Guys, my "new" 2001 v10 (109,500mi) is having an intermittent starting issue. Sometimes when I go to start I get nothing, I mean nothing; the gauges all light but nothing. If I put it in neutral starts right up. I'm assuming its some kind of sensor for either the shift position or brakes or something like that. As I said, it's intermittent I can go several days or weeks without it happening.

Can anyone provide some insight as to where I should start, trouble shooting process, fixes and if it is a do it yourself project.

Thanks!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:24 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
You may have a sticky neutral safety switch?

Old 01-08-2011, 04:26 PM
bkrhoades
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It could be the Park/Neutral switch. It's rare that they go out, but I had a 2001 Chebby that was doing the same as your truck is, till one day it did'nt start at all.....( left me stranded ), and it was the Park/Neutral switch.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 PM
badlar
Senior User
Does your shifter feel loose and/or sloppy? Check out this thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ift-lever.html

If these bolts are loose it prevents the tranny from going fully into Park, which means the switch sensing that position is not allowing the truck to start

Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Coastie6
Cross-Country
That is a possibility. The shift selector does not seem to "convincingly" go into gear. I guess it could be called "slop". I'll check it out. I looked at the thread, someone said you had to remove the steering column shroud and the ignition switch, another said they only had to remove the fuse panel shroud. Any consensus here, better yet, any pictures?! Thanks

Old 01-09-2011, 03:15 PM
badlar
Senior User
I didn't have to remove the steering column shroud, only the fuse panel shroud, I think that is how they tracked down the problem was starting at the top of the column, It's pretty tough to get a picture under there, I will give it a try if I have the chance

Old 01-09-2011, 03:36 PM
badlar
Senior User
I just went and had a look, you don't have to remove the fuse panel shroud either, here is a picture, on the right is the steering column, but this picture is backwards because I was standing on my head when I took it. In the middle of the picture is the two torx head bolts that have to be tightened, this is actually to the right of the steering column

Old 01-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Coastie6
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by badlar
I didn't have to remove the steering column shroud, only the fuse panel shroud, I think that is how they tracked down the problem was starting at the top of the column, It's pretty tough to get a picture under there, I will give it a try if I have the chance
Thanks so much. I'm hoping this is all this problem is. Was a bit concerned it might be bigger.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Coastie6
Cross-Country
I just went and had a look, you don't have to remove the fuse panel shroud either, here is a picture, on the right is the steering column, but this picture is backwards because I was standing on my head when I took it. In the middle of the picture is the two torx head bolts that have to be tightened, this is actually to the right of the steering column

Wow! that was a great visual aid. I when out and tightened them, but they really did not budge so I don't think they are the cause of the problem. I guess it might possibly be the tube and bushings mentioned in the "Shifting Problem" post you linked to. Just wish they had mentioned the starting problem in that thread. I hate to just start throwing parts at a problem. Hoping to define some troubleshooting guidelines to go through before I start spending money. I'm going to link this thread to the shifting problem thread because I think your photo will be helpful to those that have a problem cause by these torx screws. Any other ideas or suggestions as what I should look at are appreciated.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:10 PM
badlar
Senior User
Next spot I would check is the switch where the linkage goes into the tranny - it is on the left side of the tranny, I don't know if it is adjustable or not because I can't tell by looking at it, but it may be worth a shot.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 PM
rob1994AerostarAWD
Junior User
I had the same problem on my 2000 F250. The shifter was loose and on one occasion it wouldn't start in park until I wiggled the shifter. When I checked a few minutes ago, both Torx screws on the bracket were loose. I just went out and tightened them up under the dash. I didn't have to remove any covers or shrouds. Five minute job. The photo on this thread was helpful.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:40 AM
SDV10
Senior User
There is an adjustable screw in the fuse panel cover under the steering column. It is plastic and aligns the shifter on the instrument cluster with the shifter on the tranny. Mine broke and I zip tied it back together. Also, yes the park/neutral switch is adjustable and has marks on it. It also has two bolts and they can come loose. I have an extra switch laying in the garage that is a good switch so let me know if all the other things lead you to the switch I can ship this to you. I can try to post a pic of the adjustment 'wheel' under the column if you can not find it. It is on the cable and pretty obvious. Mine broke after I adjusted it so it would start in park so be careful and nice to it.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reviving a slightly old thread...What an excellent photo. Here is my input, as I used this photo this evening to fix a loose or sloppy shifter on my truck:

This "should be" a 5-minute fix if you simply get a T30 Torx bit, a 2" ratchet extension, and a flashlight. You do NOT need to remove your "fuse panel" plate under the steering column. Simply lay on your back with your head next to the brake pedal and look up with the flashlight. You will see the two screws as shown in this awesome photo (they are to the left and ABOVE the slotted wheel in this photo). Make sure both screws are snug with the T30 torx...I needed the 2" extension in order to use a ratchet. I simply tightened both snug (they WERE loose), and my shifter now clicks positively into every gear setting on the column, versus the sloppy "hunting" I used to have to do.

Voila! If I hadn't seen this photo, I wouldn't have known what I was looking for...so...

THANKS Badlar!!! REPS TO YOU!!!

Old 04-02-2011, 10:02 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
One trick to do is to remove one screw at a time and put some Loctite on the threads. That way, they won't come loose again.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:06 AM
badlar
Senior User
No Problem Tailgate, thanks for the reps!

Quick Reply: Starting problem