Sponsored by: DP Tuner

oil leak too

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Deuce45
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil leak too

Today after I backed down the driveway (fairly steep) I noticed a trail of oil then a small pool under the truck. I looked around and saw it collecting on the passenger side of the motor then coming down to where the tranny and engine meet and then dripping from the transmission pan (I think). I only had a few minutes of daylight to really get a good look and it seemed like its coming from high up on the motor to the rear on the passenger side.

I read a bunch of the other posts that have been going around on oil leaks but I'm stuck on some of the terms so I wanted to post this and ask the questions so I know what I'm looking at tomorrow. What's the "valley" and what side is the HPOP on? Also oil pan is on the driver side and tranny pan is on middle to passenger right?

Anyoneknow what a suspect could be with the limited info I gave? I'll get under there and really clean it tomorrow so I can give more detailed info.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:25 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Most of the oil leaks are on the top of the motor in the valley. Stand up on your front bumper and stare straight down at the motor. You'll see the fuel filter housing, pipes and a bunch of junk on top of the motor. Grab a flash light and look down below all that stuff on top of the actual engine block. That is the valley. You will probably see a whole bunch of oil in there.

Clean it up with some simple green and low pressure water, then try and watch to see if the leak is coming from the front, middle, or back part of the engine. There are o-rings in each of those locations, and you probably need to replace one of them. We just need to narrow it down to figure out which one.

The HPOP is toward the front of the motor. The oil pan and tranny pan are both underneath in the middle. The oil pan is under the motor in front of the tranny pan. The oil cooler is on the driver side if that's what you're thinking of.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Deuce45
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so the valley is where the motor Y's correct? i'll spray it out tomorrow