Sponsored by: DP Tuner

John Woods Tow master or Ford HD4R100

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Billyclub
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Woods Tow master or Ford HD4R100

I think I already know the answer but I can't help myself. I'm in the midst of making a decision of which transmission to go with and I've narrowed it down to these two. If I could afford BTS I would surely go with that one but the few extra hundred dollars really takes out of range for me. Ed has been super in getting me the info I need and John has been good about taking some time to talk with on the phone. I think both transmissions are going to be a good investment but as always I want the best I can afford. I tow a TT @6600 dry and loaded around 8K. Gonna DP tune when the transmission issue goes away. This is JW's standard everyday towing tranmission.
This place is great for sound advice, thats why I'm a member.
Give me your opinion.
Glenn

Old 01-05-2011, 11:57 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
U cant go wrong with either, but if it was my choice, John Wood would get my business. he will take care of u

Old 01-05-2011, 12:32 PM
orng1
Postmaster
John woods will build you what you need. If I had the cash I'd go that way.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:40 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are near JW, I would also go with his Towmaster Transmission. I also spoke with John on the phone when mine was going out, he is the one who suggested I go with the HD4R100 as I did not have the time to allow the trans to be built and shipped, before a long trip with the trailer. I thought it was pretty cool he offered up the idea as even the local dealer's (not Ed) didn't even know about the HD4R100 at the time.

Besides, if you want JW is a DP Tuner dealer IIRC, he can hook you up all the way around!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:46 PM
orng1
Postmaster
Yeah I was there on a test and tune day when he was installing dp tuners and adding changing tunes with Jody.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:59 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
I'm very interested in which one you choose & why. I've got 185k on mine & tow a bit more weight than you so I'm thinking I'll have this question to answer sooner than later. I'd just say to go with the best you can afford but the more I think about it I don't know if the Ford trans is bested by the others with the service I'm getting out of mine. For sure I don't know enough about trans to make a judgement & I'm sure the JW or BTS are not a joke but it's a pile of money (to me) that we are talking about. Good luck with your decision & hope it all works out good for you.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
This is a no-brainer.

John custom machines several hard parts within the trans and has parts cryo treated. The torque convertor he uses is beefed up and upgraded too.

Hands down, any JW build will blow away a factory HD trans.

Stewart

Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 PM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
I am with Stewart, JW trans, sorry Edmo!!

Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
When the 'mods' get into the Thousands of Dollars, it is good to research it from every angle.

My sig line tells you my choice. Money, I believe well spent. I drive in several different applications so it fits the bill. (and burns the tires)

Old 01-05-2011, 03:12 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
It is a known fact that people who have been in this predicament and tried to save a few dolloars with the HD4R100 or another "beefed" up trans other than BTS or JW, ended up spending more money in the long run and wished they would have gone with a BTS or a JW over the others. Take advice from those of us who recommend the JW or the BTS and go with one of those two. it will be the BEST decision u ever make. even with a stock truck i think either one of those two transmissions would be worth it

Old 01-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Billyclub
Senior User
Given i'm probably going to trade her in about 18 monthes I will probably go with the Ford HD. I'm saying this with some trepidation but I think it will suit me fine for 1-2 more summers of towing. If money wasn't the issue then it would be either JW or BTS but it is and my truck is not heavily modded so I think I will be fine. I got 11 years out of the original.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
definitely if u are trading it in, then the HD is for u

Old 01-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Billyclub
Given i'm probably going to trade her in about 18 monthes I will probably go with the Ford HD. I'm saying this with some trepidation but I think it will suit me fine for 1-2 more summers of towing. If money wasn't the issue then it would be either JW or BTS but it is and my truck is not heavily modded so I think I will be fine. I got 11 years out of the original.

If you are going to trade it off, why put the HD in, doesn't ford have a cheapo depo model that will still be under warrenty by the time you get rid of it?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brother Les
If you are going to trade it off, why put the HD in, doesn't ford have a cheapo depo model that will still be under warrenty by the time you get rid of it?
This logic makes a lot of sense to me.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
When my trans took a dump, I had to go will stock OEM cause I couldn't afford either(HEAVY DUTY) one.

so what is best for you is the way to go.

Quick Reply: John Woods Tow master or Ford HD4R100