Minnesota Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: fordpower88

SW Metro Diesel Mechanic Recommendations please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:16 AM
epfire#233
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SW Metro Diesel Mechanic Recommendations please...

Happy New Year!

I'm new to both this forum and diesel ownership. I recently aquired a 2005 Ford Ex 6.0 PSD with 36,500 miles and will not have the time nor the knowledge/experience to do much of the maintenance myself.

I live in Eden Prairie and would like to hear from you if you have a good diesel mechanic in my general area you could recommend.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Kind regards,

Aaron

Old 01-05-2011, 09:20 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome Aaron. I do not know a good diesel mechanic but hopefully someone can chime in with a contact for you. We tend to do most of our own work though.

Feel free to join the BS thread also

Old 01-05-2011, 09:27 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Welcome Aaron! Like Jay said we are all mostly DIYers. There really isn't that much that is involved with maintaining these trucks, it is all pretty straight forward. If you need help with anything don't be afraid to ask! The GTGs are a good place to get things worked on too.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 AM
epfire#233
Junior User
Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind welcome and will certainly not be shy to seek advice and ask questions. This site has already been very educational and helpful.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-17-2011, 12:21 PM
epfire#233
Junior User
The Excursion arrived last week Wednesday with no issues and looks great. Additionally, it's started great even with the summer blend oil from TX. I'll be changing the oil and doing a coolant flush this weekend. Looking forward to wrenching on my new toy. Have a good week!

Old 01-17-2011, 04:20 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Congrats on the new toy!

Old 01-17-2011, 05:00 PM
fordpower88
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by epfire#233
The Excursion arrived last week Wednesday with no issues and looks great. Additionally, it's started great even with the summer blend oil from TX. I'll be changing the oil and doing a coolant flush this weekend. Looking forward to wrenching on my new toy. Have a good week!
Congrats on the new toy! Pics please!!!!!

BTW there is gonna be a GTG out at my place the weekend of Jan 29th and you are more than welcome to come out and show off the X or do a little wrenching!! There is a thread started on it already!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:59 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by epfire#233
Awesome! Lets see some pictures! You are pretty close to me, let me know if you want help or anything with the truck

Old 01-17-2011, 09:54 PM
epfire#233
Junior User
Thanks guys... I'll post some pictures this weekend.

Troy - thanks for the invite, I really appreciate it. I'm unable to make in on the 29th, but will do my best to make it another time.

Aaron

Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 PM
walt501
Junior User
You're fortunate you're in the Twin Cities because should you need something beyond routine maintenance and repairs you have Boyer Ford Truck on West Broadway. They only deal in Ford Trucks and have technicians on duty that specialize in the various PowerStroke diesel engines.

Boyer Trucks

If you want to buy discounted Ford parts, check out Tousley Ford and tell them you're a member of "thedieselstop.com". I know - wrong site, but you'll get all your parts at a greatly reduced price from what a local dealer will charge.

Tousley Ford Parts Depot

Enjoy your new truck!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by walt501
You're fortunate you're in the Twin Cities because should you need something beyond routine maintenance and repairs you have Boyer Ford Truck on West Broadway. They only deal in Ford Trucks and have technicians on duty that specialize in the various PowerStroke diesel engines.

Boyer Trucks

If you want to buy discounted Ford parts, check out Tousley Ford and tell them you're a member of "thedieselstop.com". I know - wrong site, but you'll get all your parts at a greatly reduced price from what a local dealer will charge.

Tousley Ford Parts Depot

Enjoy your new truck!
That's some good info right there. Might have to try that some time.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:01 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Thanks for the info Walt. That is good to know

Old 01-27-2011, 09:12 PM
fordpower88
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by walt501

Boyer Trucks

Tousley Ford Parts Depot

Enjoy your new truck!
Excellent information!! Thanks!!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:02 AM
Josh88Ford
Elder User
Get rid of the 6.0 and get a 7.3!
That is a good find with that low of miles, but that doesnt mean you wont have problems. I would suggest doing mods to make the motor bulletproof before they do happen. I am not a fan of the 6.0 but i know their major downfall is the emissions junk.
I run sheaffers 15w30 partial synthetic year round and have yet to see a problem. Your truck will love it and you will need a thinner oil for the winters here. 7.3s need 3000 psi to start fire up the injectors so you can imagine what the weight of oil can do when its cold. I also run sheaffers diesel treat fuel additive and it has no problem when its -40.
I would also suggest putting a coolant filter from dieselsite after you do the flush. It will save your waterpump and other coolant system components.
Theres a lot of info on this site. Good luck and before you know it you will have PMS! (POWERSTROKE MODIFICATION SYNDROME)

Quick Reply: SW Metro Diesel Mechanic Recommendations please...