6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

first 3 years ok now trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 AM
cornfiled stroker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first 3 years ok now trouble

Well folks after 3 years of mostly trouble free life with my 05 f250 6.0 70,000 miles I now have a real problem. Last week I drove 1400 miles pulling a trailer up mountians ect with no problems. Yesterday driving truck with the family and no trailer I get about 150 miles from home, stop at a red lite and truck kinda starts missing. When the light truns green I take off and yep I got a miss for shure. Its was slow off the line then it kinda comes to life but when the trans locks in 5th it sarts shaking again. I then pull over to open the hood and look around. I found a small amount of coolant had puked but that could have happend last week when towing the trailer. Then I thought maybe I got some bad fuel so I changed fuel filters along the road (PITA) this didn't help anthing. (old filters had 6000miles on them) I then called my powerstroke guy back home and he said I should be ok to drive it home and asked if it was smoking. It wasn't smoking when I left after changing filters but buy the time I got home it was smoking bad when I would get on the throttle.

Sorry for the long post.
Any help would be great,
CFS

Old 01-04-2011, 10:51 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you have tuner? Mods?

Test for exhaust gas in coolant. If yes, do Head Gasket diagnostics.

Then next check for EGR valve leak.

Beware --- you can hydrolock your motor if you are smoking coolant.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 AM
cornfiled stroker
Junior User
Yes I do have some mods. Custom sct tunes (X street, Street, & Tow never ran on X Street much usually on street and if pulling I use tow tune or no tune), no kitty, coolant filter, & revx in last two oil changes. I change oil every 5000 with mobil 5-40syn, fuel filters every 10,000 and alway use ford filters. I have lost maybe a cup of coolant, but this is the first time it has ever puked any. The smoke is when I get on the throttle and is black and stinks like raw fuel. BTY this is whith the truck set back to stock.

I got it at the shop and am waiting to hear what they have to say.. I would like to have a heads up on them so I don't get stuff I don't need.

Thanks,
CFS

Old 01-04-2011, 11:22 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a guess, but maybe one+ injectors failed and started dumping fuel.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:26 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Mods like that and tunes often = open season when the dealer sees it out of warranty.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
1954oldred
Senior User
Originally Posted by High Binder
Just a guess, but maybe one+ injectors failed and started dumping fuel.

I'm with you Highbinder, see if you can get a scan tool on it to be certain.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:54 AM
lenzhotrod
Senior User
Depending when the vehicle was bought you may still have your 5year -100,000 mile warranty!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
cornfiled stroker
Junior User
not under warr. truck was purchased in late 04

I am also thinking a injector or two but the coolant puke has me worried. Oil & egr coolers tested good about 10,000 miles ago but I guess that doesn't make them good now.

Keep em comming and I will let you know what the mechanic says when I hear from him.

Thanks
CFS

Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
If you do injectors... make sure you get Ford OEM remans... they are the only ones that have a nationwide 12 month warranty...

Old 01-04-2011, 02:43 PM
cornfiled stroker
Junior User
Ok boys and girls...Get ready for this.....When I asked him what caused all this he said I must idle a lot, well my miles/hours equal 48 miles per hour.. I thought that was pretty dam good. and no I don't leave it idel all day.

This is what the mechanic says I need.
1. egr cooler
2. oil cooler
3. three injectors and he recommends all 8 be put in
4. Ficm needs repalced

This is what he would also do:
1. High pressure oil pump fitting
2. Egr block off kit
3. Head studs (arp) and gaskets

What would you guys do?

This is what I think my options are:
1. fix ficm & two or three injectors, then drive it with a for sale sign in the window.

2. do everything on his list and keep this truck and hope for a good 100,000 miles of trouble free driving.

ps mechanic is supposed to be the area powerstroke expert......

Thanks again,
CFS

Old 01-04-2011, 02:47 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
You can do a used motor for about the same... and keep the old block to kick around.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:42 PM
cornfiled stroker
Junior User
I guess I could do a used motor for about the same but who's to say its any better?? I know every single time this motor has had any work done to it and have record of every oil change, tires, belts, fuel filters, ect.. In fact I even have record of every single wash job... To say the least I am **** about my stuff. This truck has a average wash job of 1.3 times per week.

My motor its self should be in good shape and who knows about a used one.

FYI I was the kind of guy that thought with a 6.0 if you did the required matinace it should be a good running truck...Guess I was wrong...Thinking about going to the dark side 07 or older Dodge.

Mechanic says he can make it run forever only problem is he said it will take about 8500 bucks!!!!!!!

CFS

Old 01-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What price did you get for this work?

You're at 70,000 miles now. I would think with all that work done you'll easily set yourself up for a lot more than an extra 100,000 miles.

What to do next will also depend on your current payment situation.

Some examples ...

If you have the truck paid off and you have the work done and keep it on the road.

Lets say you get a personal unsecured loan for $6,000 and pay it off over 5 years, at 10.25% for an unsecured you'd be looking at $128 per month.
If you have the title and use it to get a secured loan at your local credit union that rate could be 4.4% and then your payment would be $112 per month. (these rates are from my local credit union)
Of course you could be able to afford this upfront, I've no idea, or you could pay these amounts off early.
(For around $6k I'd imagine you could make this thing pretty much bullet proof and add a few new toys too)

If you still owe on the truck and sell it, you may just wipe that slate clean and still be left looking for financing on your new purchase.

If you sell it, you run the possibility of not getting rid of it for a while, or not getting the $$$ you would like. (That happened to me with my last truck - 2006 F150 with 42,000 miles. I had to make payments on it for 9 months after I initially put it on the For Sale market)

If you use the sale dollars to buy another second hand truck, you may likely be buying one with an engine just like your current one .. i.e. no studs, no new cooler, no egr delete etc. Then you still may need to do that work .. plus you won't know the maintenance history like the way you know your own truck now.

Another option ... trade it in on a spanking new 2011 ... welcome to the big leagues for truck payments.

Just another few ways to consider it aside from just mechanical.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cornfiled stroker
Mechanic says he can make it run forever only problem is he said it will take about 8500 bucks!!!!!!!

CFS
Well forget what I said about $6k ... geez $8,500 seems like a lot to have to put into a truck with 70,000 miles.

edit ... I reread the post & see the FICM and injectors.

Okay ... so take out a $10,000 loan and go to town ... may as well enjoy it. Get it lifted, add DVD, add heated seats in the rear, get it to 750 HP, paint flames down the side.

Seriously though ... I hope it works out well. $8,500 would be a kick square in the nuts for me right now. I hope some others on here can help you resolve this for less $$$.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:07 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Once you start running tunes, all bets are off.

Mine is very nearly stock... and look at my mileage.

I doubt you can do better with anything else.

Quick Reply: first 3 years ok now trouble