1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

What kind of hitch do you have and why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 02:09 AM
lud04X
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run a superhitch for use with my 9.5ft camper on the 8ft bed. I pull a Jeep on a trailer behind my F350 so I wanted an extended hitch that would do it safely. It will do 12,000 lbs on the hitch extension with a weight distributing hitch.

SuperTruss :: Hitch Extension from Torklift

Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys have no idea how close I came to putting a gooseneck on my wifes 73 electra. That thing was a mint condition powerhouse. It had the 455 4 barrel with rear air ride and has pulled almost 20000 pounds on the receiver hitch before. A GN would have been even better.

I want one of those extended hitches with the load distributing bars but have never really looked into them. My truck rides fine right now with the camper and horse trailer. No bounce or anything and it's got factory overloads and sway bars. But if I get into traffic I do get nervous. I'm always paranoid about having to do an evasive maneuver and it not responding like it should. The load distributing hitch should stiffen things up a bit.
My camper only hangs out just barely past the bumper but I got this whole rig off a friend of ours and he has cremed the rear camper jacks against the front of the horse trailer before. It wasn't pretty. He's also ripped the rear jacks off trying to drive in some ruts on a fire trail at ruidoso. STUPID! I'm still not even sure how he made it on that trip since both factory auto hubs were mangled messes and not working.
One of these days when we win the lottery I'm just getting a nice big 3 horse with a custom living compartment in the front half. Then I can leave the slide in at home when we have the horses. TIll then I need to do the best with what I got to be safe.

Oh, I saw a pickup with a 3 horse trailer off the road in that arkansas ice the other day. I know he went for a rough ride and it was laid over on it's side against a hill and jackknifed but the trailer was still hooked and sortof upright. The truck was a real wreck. I hope the horses were ok. I know if they had come unhooked there would be no chance at all.