Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Locking in Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Innocent Bystander
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking in Hubs

From reading a couple of other threads, am I right to say it's good for the 4wd's health to run with the hubs locked and xfer case disengaged once in awhile? I've got electric shift on my truck (2002) so can I do that? If so, how do I go about it? (never having owned a 4X4 before).

Old 01-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Joelong258
Senior User
All you need to do that is lock the front hubs in all the way to the right and that engages the front differential and makes it spin. I do this when its snowy or im on a road where it may get slick so all i got to do is reach over and flip on the 4x4 with the switch. Its quite handy if you have them locked in cause you know the 4wd is engaged. I too have esof.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 PM
lhud
Elder User
Joe,
I think what you mean is that when you lock the front hubs without the shift on the fly activated, only the front axles turn.
The differential does not activate until the shift on fly is activated.
As you indicate, this is handy during winter if you encounter ice or snow, all you do is activate the shift on the fly and you are in four wheel drive.
Only be careful that you activate the full 4wd according to the owner's manual recommendations, i.e. I think they say at certain low speeds or even a stop.
Not pickin' on ya, just makin' sure the "innocent bystander" being new to 4wd's understands.

Thanks,

Old 01-02-2011, 07:13 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander
From reading a couple of other threads, am I right to say it's good for the 4wd's health to run with the hubs locked and xfer case disengaged once in awhile? I've got electric shift on my truck (2002) so can I do that? If so, how do I go about it? (never having owned a 4X4 before).
Once a while if I am no a straight road and running a moderate speed, I will using the ESOF into 4wd just to exercise the hubs.. It easier than moving the hubs from Lock to Auto..