Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How could someone destroy a truck like this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:06 PM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Old93junk
Personally, I think we should have thrown Nancy Pelosi in the crusher, and kept the clunkers.
What do you have against crushers?
C'mon!

Old 12-23-2010, 07:11 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by frederic
If "jobs" are the primary goal, then it was the best choice of the several that were on the table. If "energy conservation" was, then no, it wasn't the best choice.

Absolutely, and that my friend is the definition of government - you nailed it on the head - to pool our resources together for the benefit of most of us.

That I do agree with 100%
BS.
The job of the government in a democratic society should be as a middle man. The idea is that the majority of the population votes yay or nay on different policies that govern how the country is ran. What you're describing is scary and far from a democracy. I wish the education system would do its' job so that the people of America could control the government, not the other way around. The dumbing down of America is why the government has all the control.

Here is what you are describing:
Communism - Communism is a sociopolitical structure that aims for a classless and stateless society with the communal ownership of property.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Kapusta
Cargo Master
Received 1,715 Likes on 641 Posts
C4C did not just benefit US economies. It also helped import car makers as well. You were not limited to just buying a US made auto under C4C. Imports still make up the majority of automobiles that are the most fuel efficient. In actuality foreign economies may have benefited more from C4C than our domestic economy. It all depends on what the actual total sales of each automaker under C4C added up to.
IMO, I still believe the US tax payer got the shaft on C4C.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:10 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
ZX,

No, I am not describing communism, or any particular arrangement of government specifically - instead, I'm merely defining what I believe it's sole purpose is - to provide for the people as a whole in ways they cannot provide for themselves as individuals.

For example - you and I are friends, and I want to send you a Christmas card. Instead of driving from where I am to where you are to hand you the card, I put 50 cents on it and it's transported from my house to yours by a government provided mechanism.

Another example - Your job is 30 miles from your house. Instead of driving on "dirt" to work you drive on a road. That road is paved with your tax dollars. And mine. And the next guy's. None of us have the funds or ability to pave roads across the nation. So our funds are pooled together to make those road appear. And bridges, tunnels, railways, airports and docks.

Yet another example. Defense and safety on all levels - national, state, and local. Military, police, fire, ambulance, etc. We all need these resources (hopefully as little as possible of course) and they are there because of our tax dollars are pooled and used to make that happen. It's likely that none of us can afford our own army, or our own fire/rescue squads, our own police force. So the government pools our money on various levels to make this happen. Everyone in my town pays for part of the three fire companies. Based on what I pay in property taxes each year, I probably own one tire on one of 37 fire trucks. My neighbor to the left paid for the front bumper and maybe the siren. All of my fellow neighbors together, bought three fire houses and 37 trucks. And when my house catches on fire, I'll have a parade of trucks and folks trying to save me and my loved ones.

That is not communism. I said nothing about classlessness or decided equality and only spoke to the government's attempt to maintain opportunity - for us - to have, maintain, and find jobs depending on our situations.

On a separate note (since you mentioned it), the way to control government and ensure it works for us rather than the other way around, is to hold those in power, elected or otherwise (covering all forms of government here, not just democracy) accountable for their actions.

And, we never do. And that is *OUR* fault. And because we whine more and do less about this each year, the problem is only going to get worse.

Oh, and by the way, the US has never been a democracy. Technically, it's a republic which is a very different animal. I'm sure you know that and I knew what you meant above, but I just wanted to point that out since I've run into many people over the years who had no idea.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:15 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Hey frederic, I wish you would become a supporter at some point. Your take and ability to articulate it would be a welcome addition to the "club".

Old 12-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
This thread will belong to the club, if a mod catches wind of the politics.........Be careful not to get heated about it in anyway.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:19 PM
blkfordsedan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crush all the Chevys you want............but send the old Fords to a good ole fashioned junk yard! We can spend our Saturday afternoons looking for restoration parts while our sons play amongst the vintage iron and develop their own appreciation of American automotive history.
That's how I was raised.............but I'm just one man with a dream.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Old93junk
This thread will belong to the club, if a mod catches wind of the politics.........Be careful not to get heated about it in anyway.
Nah, I haven't got wound up about politics in a long time. No point, really..
I feel like we're on the same page anyways. I misunderstood what he meant originally.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
There are SO many things political that I would like to say about C4C, but that would end up with a one-way ticket to the club for a otherwise great thread.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:37 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by zxwut?
I feel like we're on the same page anyways. I misunderstood what he meant originally.
Either that or I misphrased. I type incredibly fast and often with constant interruptions.

I realized after I sent my last reply what happened - you thought I said it was the government's job to provide, where as I was trying to say it's the government's job to do things for us as a whole that we cannot do as individuals.

Personally, I'm all for the smallest government that can be effective. The problem is, and always has been, is where is the intersection point on the graph between the "size" and "effective" graph scales. That of course depends how one defines size, and how one defines effective.

And that's we discuss, debate, and argue. We all have individual ideas of what those two words mean. And that's okay, it's the way it's supposed to be

Old 12-23-2010, 09:39 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by LMS Residential
Hey frederic, I wish you would become a supporter at some point. Your take and ability to articulate it would be a welcome addition to the "club".
would you mind PMing me what you're talking about, because for whatever reason, the "club" is not registering. Isn't FTE the ultimate Ford Truck Club?

Or am I missing something really obvious?

Old 12-23-2010, 10:16 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/subscriptions.php no reason for a pm,it's nothing secret. You get the benefits listed in the link including "the club" forum that was being referred to above. In the club you can discuss things a lot more in depth(politics,religion,etc) and heated(as long as you don't start personal attacks and name calling).

Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
According to my American Government teacher, a government's job is to protect it's peoples' natural rights, no matter what form of government is involved. Also, I believe the best way to describe our government would be a democratic republic. It is a mix of a little of everything. Natural rights would be the rights to life, liberty, and property (pursuit of happiness).

Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 PM
CWPottenger
Senior User
Originally Posted by big-ugly
I believe the best way to describe our government would be a democratic republic.
Actually currently it is more of an Oligarchy!!! Big problem...

Democratic Republic ---> small problem...

Republic ---> as intended by our Founders and our Constitution....

Old 12-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Representative Republic.
Unrestricted Democracy quickly descends into mob rule.

Quick Reply: How could someone destroy a truck like this?