Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How could someone destroy a truck like this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Newcomer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zxwut?
Nobody is arguing about anything. Just answering his question.
Yeah, I knew once I read what I posted that I had used the wrong word. My bad...... sorry

Old 12-24-2010, 10:45 AM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No worries.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:58 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Newcomer
frederic, not sure on this one, but I think you may have mistook CJ's post to ZX for a response to mine. They are arguing about C4C, or did I misunderstand your response to CJ??
I may have misread, and if so, my apologies.

I do tend to blast through here at a high rate of speed sometimes

Old 12-24-2010, 03:21 PM
CWPottenger
Senior User
C4C had little to nothing to do with environment concerns....

Old 12-24-2010, 03:39 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by CWPottenger
Go outside and play. The adults are talking.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:05 PM
CWPottenger
Senior User
Go outside and play. The adults are talking.
Well I think I might since adult your not....

Have a Merry Christmas.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:12 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by CWPottenger
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood Kicks-Off CARS Program, Encourages Consumers to Buy More Fuel Efficient Cars and Trucks

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood today kicked off a buyer incentive program designed to help consumers purchase new fuel efficient vehicles and boost the economy at the same time. The Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS), commonly referred to as Cash for Clunkers, is a new federal program that gives buyers up to $4,500 towards a new, more environmentally-friendly vehicle when they trade-in their old gas guzzling cars or trucks.

"With this program, we are giving the auto industry a shot in the arm and struggling consumers can get rid of their gas-guzzlers and buy a more reliable, fuel-efficient vehicle," Secretary LaHood said. "This is good news for our economy, the environment and consumers’ pocketbooks."

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) also released the final eligibility requirements to participate in the program. Under the CARS program, consumers receive a $3,500 or $4,500 discount from a car dealer when they trade in their old vehicle and purchase or lease a new, qualifying vehicle. In order to be eligible for the program, the trade-in passenger vehicle must: be manufactured less than 25 years before the date it is traded in; have a combined city/highway fuel economy of 18 miles per gallon or less; be in drivable condition; and be continuously insured and registered to the same owner for the full year before the trade-in. Transactions must be made between now and November 1, 2009 or until the money runs out.

The vehicle that is traded in will be scrapped. NHTSA estimates the program could take approximately 250,000 vehicles that are not fuel efficient off the road.

See a trend here?

http://www.cars.gov/files/official-i...n/July27PR.pdf

Here's the official findings along with press releases from day one of CARS.

CARS.gov - Car Allowance Rebate System - Official Information - Formerly Referred to as “Cash for Clunkers”

Old 12-24-2010, 05:39 PM
EasternAggie
Freshman User
Makes me sick

I couldnt do it. Saw a video where they did it to a two stroke detroit, I think it was a 6v53. Horrible.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:51 PM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've traveled a fair bit (we even adopted our daughter from Russia) and I find, despite radically different governments, almost universally people are not happy with their government.
A close friend in Moscow, Alexi, and I were talking about the mysteries of the feminine mind (there's not a lot to do in Moscow in December) and I'll always remember he said "It is an international problem."
Perhaps getting a responsible and responsive government that has a sense of service to its citizens is "an international problem".

Old 12-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
C4C went about it all wrong in many respects.
Viability of engines should have been established at dealers, GOOD engines should have been offered for resale to auto recyclers.
Bad, sick motors could have been destroyed as planned.
Too many good engines bit the dust that could have been used by folks who cannot afford a nice new plastic car.

Mechanics win
Auto recyclers win
Less well heeled folks who just needed to keep their good older car on the road, win.

C4C was a epic waste of tax payer dollars and usable parts, all under the guise of "environmental" concerns and stimulus attempts.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:18 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Old93junk
C4C went about it all wrong in many respects.
Viability of engines should have been established at dealers, GOOD engines should have been offered for resale to auto recyclers.
Bad, sick motors could have been destroyed as planned.
Too many good engines bit the dust that could have been used by folks who cannot afford a nice new plastic car.

Mechanics win
Auto recyclers win
Less well heeled folks who just needed to keep their good older car on the road, win.

C4C was a epic waste of tax payer dollars and usable parts, all under the guise of "environmental" concerns and stimulus attempts.
I agree that it was a waste of money, but I disagree that they should have resold the engines. If they had done that, one of the major issues that cash for clunkers was trying to address would have been disregarded.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:19 PM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood Kicks-Off CARS Program, Encourages Consumers to Buy More Fuel Efficient Cars and Trucks
"The whole purpose of the program was to provide some kind of catalyst to kick-start the economy" ~ George Pipas, Ford Motor Company

"There can be no doubt that CARS drummed up more business for car dealers at a time when they needed help the most." ~Bill Adams, spokesman for the Department of Transportation

Reagan still said it best... "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"

Old 12-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Resold good engines would have been a wash, they would have replaced sick engines still being nursed along. Or they would have been sitting on racks for considerable time before re-entering the operating status.

I also agree with the Ronald Reagan comment, he would have been horrified at C4C.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:06 PM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that it was a waste of money, but I disagree that they should have resold the engines. If they had done that, one of the major issues that cash for clunkers was trying to address would have been disregarded.
"The fuel economy increase from the trade-in to new car seems large, but it doesn't have that big of impact on environment" ~Christopher Knittle, Economics Professor, University of California at Davis
Knittle calculated the program will save approximately 270 gallons of gasoline per car, per year. If a total of 750,000 (the actual number was 690,000) vehicles are sold, as appears likely, approximately 12,000 barrels of oil a day will be saved in a country that consumes 9 million a day. (using the standard of 19gals of gas from 1 barrel of oil) 690k cars x 270gal per car = 186300000 gal saved per year, 186900000gal/yr ÷ 365 days = 510410.95 gal saved per day. 510411gal/day ÷ 19gal per barrel = 26863.73 barrels of oil per day. With a consumption rate of 9 MILLION bpd, that drops us to a consumption of 8.97 MILLION bpd... thats a huge whopping drop of......

ready for it....

you sure?

Ok......

0.29848588888% or roughly three tenths of one percent

But wait you say.... add that savings up over a year and it adds up!!! OK, we can do that too!! 26863.73bpd x 365 days = 9804995 barrels saved (using a cost of $80 per barrel) 9804995 barrels x $80 per barrel = $784,399,600 or just over 784 million dollars. So end result, we spent 2.75 Billion to save 784 million this year in oil costs... don'tcha just love gubmint math

Old 12-24-2010, 07:24 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
I think the whole idea of C4C was to get our old vehicles off the streets and get us into newer, dare I say, more reliable vehicles. They were trying to free up some market space, but as with everything, there is always a "catch-22". They may have created the market space, but in doing so they created a lot of debt on our citizens, debt that, I for one, cannot afford. Our country is already in a huge debt (I do not have the exact number, and will not take a stab in the dark). As with every decision, it simply cannot please everyone involved. There is always a "better" way to go about things, but better for who? I agree 100% that it was a shame, becuase my hobby is rebuilding old cars. I would love to be able to own a brand new f150, but for what I use my trucks for, it would be a crying shame for me to even drive one. My old "clunkers" suit me perfectly. I can see advantages to both sides of this discussion, but whats done is done. There is no reviving any of those vehicles involved, so all we can do is keep our good ol' girls runnin the best we can. When we can't keep them running anymore, then we will have to either buy a newer, "better" vehicle, or walk.

Everything I typed is purely my opinion, and I do not mean to offend anyone in giving it.

Quick Reply: How could someone destroy a truck like this?