6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

G4 Elite Fold A Cover on an 2011 8' bed

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:33 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
G4 Elite Fold A Cover on an 2011 8' bed

Do you have one?

I am considering this cover. If you have one<

How many sections?

Can you fold it and still access the front portion?

Do you have to fold it up all the way or can you stop say just short of where the 5th wheel hitch would be?

I would want access to the forward section for a tool box when the cover is partially folded, while using a 5th wheel trailer.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:31 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out my albums - Many pics for you to see.......

Old 12-23-2010, 06:17 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
I have a back flip HD tonneau cover ordered. Selling price, no freight, no tax $899.00 I bot the HD which is 5/8" thick as compared to regular 1/2" model.

Video film on line shows if flips to near zero at front, and each section is double latched, and tailgate locks back.

They are made on west coast and price fixed for each dealer to sell. Photographs will follow probably by mid January as I have no shipping date yet and it has been a week since I ordered. Great videos on line. I have long bed.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:36 AM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
If it isn't cut properly at the factory it won't accomadate a toolbox under the cover like the one shown in my gallery (it fits under the cover, and opens completely without touching) (See my albums for deails.) - Talk to Ivan at the factory he will take care of you. The last panel - near the cab - has to be cut smaller than average, and if you use a regular sized G4 - a toolbox UNDER the G4 won't open completely. Personnal preference that's all...

Old 12-23-2010, 07:10 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
GMUGNEIR:

Seems to me your album, etc. is advertisments for GM products. If you didn't do it, then you should correct it.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:21 AM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
No - I have no problems viewing it - and several others have commented that they think my custom cut cover is a neat design - maybe you have problems with your computer?

Old 12-23-2010, 10:48 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Guys I am looking for someone with the G4 Elite, not a Bacflip
Two different animals.
The G4 has the forward most panel that opens to the rear to access a toolbox.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:52 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by rmosso1
GMUGNEIR:

Seems to me your album, etc. is advertisments for GM products. If you didn't do it, then you should correct it.
Whose album?

Old 12-23-2010, 12:50 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Originally Posted by porthole
Guys I am looking for someone with the G4 Elite, not a Bacflip
Two different animals.
The G4 has the forward most panel that opens to the rear to access a toolbox.
Yes I know they are different manufacturers, I just thought you mignt be interested in considering an option. I looked at those and considered that same cover, which in fact gave me the idea of what I have now, I wanted a full size truck box under my cover. The box that comes with the G4 is way too small for my needs - it is basically a very shallow box that you can put a few small items in and it is very easy to break into. But I needed the capacity and the strength of a dedicated truck box, but just didn't want to see it, hence my unique cover that is in my album. It is great. - Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Have a good holiday

Old 12-23-2010, 02:41 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

No misunderstanding, I knew where you were going with it when I looked at the pics.
I wasn't planning on using their tool box - you see the price of that thing? Almost $500.

I have a weatherguard box similar to yours. With my GMC when I would put the fiberglass tonneau cover on I would just take the lid off the weatherguard. Worked well that way.
Was figuring on the same use maybe with the G4.

The website is not very helpful, and it appears neither is customer service, since i haven't gotten a call back yet.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:37 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
I just changed my order from a HD bak flip to a fiber glass bak flip. It cost about $1,000. but you can put 500 pounds on top of it. The HD is rated at 400 pounds and the regular one is 200# at 1/2".

I am probably paying top price, but it was $200. less than my local quote and no shipping and no sales tax.

I'll be happy with what I am buying. I have called the factory twice and they acknowledge my order from an outfit in Cleveland and were going to ship on Tuesday, December 28th.

As info, not trying to steal someone's thread...

Old 12-23-2010, 04:40 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Fold-A-Cover; not the G4 version. Had one on my short bed 04 which I kept and put on the 06.

When I bought the 08 I bought a new Fold-A-Cover as it has a long bed.

The old Fold-A-Cover had a seal at the tail-gate that allowed opening and closing the gate with the cover closed; the new cover requires me to open the fold-a-cover prior to closing the tail-gate as they changed the seal design. I don't like the later seal for this reason.

When I tow the fifth wheel I fold the cover all the way forward and the only issue is that the stacked height of the cover will reduce the clearance between your fiver and truck bed if you are in a tight turn. Some thing to consider if you are turning tight on uneven ground. Don't ask me why I know this.

On the long bed I could turn around and see my fifth wheel hitch when backing up to the fiver prior to installing the fold-a-cover; with the cover installed and all folded stacked open, I can not see my hitch looking over my shoulder (I do have crew cab). Maybe if I were taller; and I am 5'-10"......

I have some crates and a tote all the way forward in bed for storing some tools, Diesel Kleen, low profile bottle jack, boards, etc. When I had the first blow-out of one of my OEM provided Chinese RV tires it was a total pain in the rear to get to the jack and tools I needed with the RV hitched and cover folded. The second blow out was no issue since I had to drop the RV on the road to find a tire shop and buy a tire. What a day......

One last thing. I gave the first fold-a-cover to my son-in-law since he had a short bed. It is still on his truck. The cover is black; it gets very hot in the summer sun. He was opening the cover all the way; and has he flipped the three sections toward the front they bounced as he released them a little too soom because they were burning his hand; the assembly flipped the last section open into the rear glass of the cab (which shattered).

I had replaced the seals with a kit I purchased from Fold-A-Cover in 07 on that particular cover purchased in 2004. This would be the seals between the folding sections. They basically split open. A co-worker has a fold-a-cover he purchased in 2001 IIRC; and he has replaced his seals. My current cover was purchased in 2008 and I have had no issues with the hinge seals on it.

So that is my experience with Fold-A-Cover; but not the G4 version. When I buy a new truck I am considering buying a retractable hard cover.

Bob

Old 12-23-2010, 04:43 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

The F1 covers looks good, and Bakflips website is certainly far better then "Fold A Cover's"

Old 12-23-2010, 04:45 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both covers I had were 4 sections; but the one for the eight foot bed is more difficult to fold as the sections are larger and heavier. Part of this process has me leaning over the dually fenders too. I think my wife could handle the short-bed version but I don't think she can fold the long bed version with the dually fenders in the picture.

The front cover can be opened with the whole cover closed; but, with the whole cover folded forward and open, access to the front of your bed is most difficult as you have to reach under the stacked cover.

The cover is not designed to say just open the rear section and go down the road; although I have done same by anchoring a web strap in the bed, up through the side seal of the 3rd back section, across the folded 4th and 3rd sections, back down to bed through opposite side seal and anchored inside bed. If you don't do same the wind will blow it shut.

Bob

Old 12-23-2010, 04:48 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
I can understand the heat on black as I live in GA. I looked at those roll tonneaus but no meat!

Same old, same old, you only get what you pay for. So far, just in talking the BAK flip folks seem to be real with a two year warranty.

I had an A.R.E. top on my 2008 F-350, but it was too cumbersome even when pulling with a ball hitch. IMHO...

Quick Reply: G4 Elite Fold A Cover on an 2011 8' bed