Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Bi-Xenon HID Light Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snuff I have been looking for months for a clean stock rear bumper for my truck to install lights in like that... I am even on a will call list for one at 2 different wrecking yards!
My bumper is pretty dinged up from the previous owner hauling firewood or I would put them in it, pretty easy for me to do considering I have access to an abrasive waterjet.
Anyhow I figured while I am waiting to find a good bumper then a $20 set a farm lights would help a lot and they do for sure.

Dave I like that 30 feet test, will have to try that one myself! For years I have had a rule of thumb I use when adjusting any lights on vehicles. If you pass someone on a 2 lane road and your low beams light up the inside of there rig so much that you can tell the color of clothes or clearly see what they look like then they are just too darn high. Right now when I pass oncoming traffic I am barely putting any light into the front window of cars and none into pickups.

One thing I have learned over the past few weeks about HID's is that the old rule of 2" low and to the right at 25' isn't near enough! I have mine at 2" to the right but they are a little over 4" low at 25'. Maybe this explains why even so many stock rigs with HID lights or those that upgrade and have them professionally adjusted still blind people. I feel that new aiming standards for HID's over halogens are needed.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:57 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
Haha, you serious WarOzz?
Quick CL search up here and I saw 4, I know the wreckers have a ton where I used to live, and my uncle has at least 5 in his yard...

Old 02-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ed just brake down and get the LMC bumper with the back up lights already in there maybe if the price was in half lol
Google Image Result for http://www.lmctruck.com/features/fc/images/FCBMR.jpg

Old 02-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I can't even guess how many safety inspections I have seen done, in many states.

I can tell you that it has been years since I have seen anything other that if the light burns or not checked.

Back in the 60's, there was actually a set of lines on inspection station floors, a large L painted on the floor 30 feet or so away from a wall.
Vehicle pulled up with drivers side tires up to the side line with the front tires on the other line.

Then the hot spot of the left and right headlights had to be inside a box for each light painted on the wall in front of the vehicle.

Given what the state allows an inspection station to charge for a vehicle inspection, there is no wonder that the light alignment is not checked.

States that do not have a safety inspection, well once again the first thing that gets you pulled over is a bulb not burning.

So it is no wonder lights are shining everywhere except where they should be.

And the worst part, since the lights are shining up in the trees, over in the woods or right down into the ground, the drivers can't see where they are going, so they run high beam lights even in town under street lights.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:51 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Dave, the place I go for inspection has crosshairs on the wall. I don't know if they really pay attention to them or not, but its there. I usually watch what they're doing if I can, but haven't really looked to see if they watch the alignment much. I'm pretty sure where the lights are aimed is more of a safety hazard than the rust holes around my rear fender-well. Now if the guy was really doing his job, the rust under the cab probably would have been an issue *innocent look*

Old 02-04-2011, 07:42 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SnuffthePunkz
Haha, you serious WarOzz?
Quick CL search up here and I saw 4, I know the wreckers have a ton where I used to live, and my uncle has at least 5 in his yard...
Rear bumpers down here are hard to come by, ones that are not banged up that is. Front bumpers are everywhere cause a lot of guys put on iron bull bumpers on the front.

Originally Posted by Coalroller
Ed just brake down and get the LMC bumper with the back up lights already in there maybe if the price was in half lol
Google Image Result for http://www.lmctruck.com/features/fc/images/FCBMR.jpg
From what I hear the LMC bumpers are for looks, flimsy if ya know what I mean.

Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
I can't even guess how many safety inspections I have seen done, in many states.
I have only ever had one state inspection and that was when I was 16 living down in southern California... I put a 3.8 V6 into a 72 vega and had to go get a state inspection for a lifetime smog certificate. The only inspections I know of in Oregon are up in Portland and that's for smog I think.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WarOzz
From what I hear the LMC bumpers are for looks, flimsy if ya know what I mean.
Really? i havent actually bought anything from them yet to be honest... Wow that kinda stinks, but i guess if you dont really use your truck it would me ok but i have a feeling that if they are just for looks than id pry bend mine in the first couple days i have with as much as im up and down on it lol

thanks for the heads up though

Old 02-04-2011, 08:53 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
I have bought some stuff from LMC and it's worked fine, I just hear some of there stuff is not as heavy duty as stock and your better off at the junkyard lol

Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
gotcha... good to know info

Old 02-04-2011, 09:14 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have never had to have my truck inspeacted i think they forem on druck tap and bailing wire

Old 02-04-2011, 09:48 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
I thought these days most rednecks had upgraded to gorilla tape and zip ties?

Old 02-04-2011, 09:54 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im old school i rock the classics

Old 02-04-2011, 10:00 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Joe I am pretty sure you are in your own school

Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
Joe, their talkin about real trucks, not rolling scrap.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:10 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SnuffthePunkz
Joe, their talkin about real trucks, not rolling scrap.
omg now that's funny!

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon HID Light Upgrade