1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Saginaw P/S Pump Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:10 PM
dyingtolive
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Saginaw P/S Pump Conversion

So I went to the junk yard the week before last and grabbed a power steering pump. The one I have is leaking badly, and the one I grabbed looked almost brand new. So, I sat there thinking about it, and I remembered seeing something about the Saginaw conversion on here, and after reading about the differences between the two pumps, I figured I might as well give it a shot. Seems to me that all I need is the pump, bracket, and hoses off of an 80-86 E-Series van, preferably with the 300I6 (so that the bracket fits on my engine.)
Now, I couldn't really find much information on the conversion. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places, or wasn't looking hard enough, but it seems to me that, with those parts (pump, bracket, hoses), it would be a plug and play kind of procedure. Am I correct in thinking this? Or would I need more parts? Would there be any kind of custom fabrication that I would need to do?

Thanks, guys!

Old 12-20-2010, 11:45 PM
bghnkinf250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You got it, pretty much plug and play. I found that the pump and brackets off my 5.8 fit my new 6.9 diesel.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:02 AM
dyingtolive
Elder User
Awesome. I just wanted to make sure I knew what I had to do and had everything squared away before I attempted the conversion. I'm gonna try to make it up to the junk yard tomorrow and exchange the pump I pulled a couple of weeks ago for a Saginaw pump. I'll post pictures and a write up when I actually get a chance to do the conversion.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:43 PM
dyingtolive
Elder User
After working on this thing all day, I have found that this is not a plug and play kinda swap. Not for the 300 I6, anyway. I don't know, maybe I didn't get all of the parts that I needed. But, the bracket on the Saginaw pump doesn't match up to the mounting bracket on the engine. The return line isn't long enough by itself to fit on the Saginaw pump, and the high-pressure hose rubs on the bottom of the power steering belt, although I could probably re-route that and it would be alright. I tried taking the bracket off of the stock pump and putting it on the Saginaw, and only one of the holes matched up, plus the bracket doesn't mount flush to the pump, so the pulley isn't straight. Now, if I had a cutting wheel/grinder, I could fix that, but I have neither. I haven't quite given up on it yet, but right now I'm at somewhat of a loss. At some point, I'll get it figured out.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:41 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What is the difference between the Saginaw and C2 Ford pump?

I have the Saginaw in my diesel motorhome witch i've heard all Ford vans have.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:50 PM
JimsRebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
This is on my junk yard wish list also… but I haven’t figured it out yet.

As I have AC on my 4.9 the power steering belt needs to go on the middle V belt position.

If you can post some picture of what you tried to install, it might help me not repeat the same.

Did you take the Power steering bracket off (4.9 van?) the engine block?
Jim

Old 12-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,708 Likes on 1,381 Posts
I am too lazy to research it, and for a reference for this thread, why would you want to do this pump swap? I haven't heard of much trouble with the stock factory system on our trucks, except it's prone to get air in it and be noisy.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:22 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I bought my '89 F150 6cyl, the power steering was unbelievably noisy! Very loud whine, fluid was toped up. The truck has sat for a number of years and only had 54,000 original miles when I bought it. After driving it over 5k miles, whining has slowlly faided away, now doesn't make a sound at all.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,708 Likes on 1,381 Posts
The noise is from pump cavitation, because there is air in the oil. Sounds like the air eventually worked it's way out of your system.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:34 PM
dyingtolive
Elder User
Originally Posted by JimsRebel

If you can post some picture of what you tried to install, it might help me not repeat the same.

Did you take the Power steering bracket off (4.9 van?) the engine block?
Jim
Yeah, I can try and snap some pictures tomorrow when I get back to work on it.

And interestingly enough, the pump that I found wasn't mounted to the engine at all. Yes, it did still have the bracket on it and the hoses hooked up, but it was laying on top of the front axle. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anywhere on the engine block that it looked like the bracket on the pump would mount to, perhaps the person that left the pump laying there took that bracket off the engine. And that was the only van on the lot with a carbed 300 I6 with v-belts. The other one had a 351W, I think, which I might go check out tomorrow, and the rest were fuel injected and had a serpentine system.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Bagbyknoter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just out of curiosity what JY you going to the pull a part off 675 or somthing closer

Old 12-06-2011, 10:40 PM
wrjacobs2006
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did my saginaw swap today. It took a couple of hours due to my methods of things and that im in a small town in the middle of nowhere. I found an old saginaw pump from an econoline van easy as could be to replace my f150 oem pump. Just unbolted the old one and bolted on the new one with new brackets that came with it. Had to get a new e150 high pressure line but the return line on the f150 worked great. No more wining from my truck. Project was no more than $50 bucks and shouldnt take more than an hour if you have all the parts handy.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:33 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the forum wrjacobs!

Old 12-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know of a Saginaw pump that bolts to the existing bracket?

Old 12-07-2011, 06:25 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Now that the Cardone 206244 is NLA?

Napa shows the NSP-816795.
Some people say that Napa can't get them, but they are still in the system.

Quick Reply: Saginaw P/S Pump Conversion