Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I HATE California **SMOG**

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Bert56
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CalCity
Do you think that I could get away with installing an aftermarket Cat on the truck? It would be my luck that I spend $400 on an aftermarket one and then the smog guy say "yeah, nice try but thats not going to work".
I bought an '05 Mustang GT (w/ high flow cats) from a L.A. seller last March and the thing passed no problem.

It seems it depends on who does the inspection as this Pony is not stock in any way.

Good luck,

Patrick

Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
tell swartzniger to pay for it.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Unfortunately guys they use the stickers as a secondary, the manufacture date is what they go by because when they enter the vehicle information into the "California" smog computer, it tells the tech "If the vehicle was manufactured between these dates then it will require a cat". I wish it were as easy as swaping the stickers or just removing them altogether and then saying "well I don't know what happened to them". I really want to do this honestly becuse I don't want to run into this every year or two when I need to do it again. It's just a hassle. I used to have a car that was all tuned up and I had to go through this every damn year. When I got the diesel I said "who cares if its modified, its a diesel".
This may be true for early '99 build dates but not true for later year 7.3 models. I now for a fact that we purchased 4 new trucks at the exact same time around late 2000 ish. We placed our order here in Arizona but we requested to take delivery of two trucks in California because they were for that local branch's use. We were told by the dealer that those two trucks would need to have cats and would cost about $1800 more for each truck. We decided to take delivery of all 4 trucks here in Arizona and then transport them to CA ourselves. They are CA registered without cats.

So, for later years, the stickers are the only way to tell if the truck had a cat or not. Early '99 could be different like you say. If so, then you can probably find a suitable aftermarket cat and install it. I have replaced many a cat in other vehicles to get them to pass emissions, replacing worn out parts with new parts is perfectly legal in most states. I can't see the inspector failing you because you installed a new cat.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Is your truck a 6 speed or an auto? 6 speed trucks have cats where autos don't. (this is true for non-california models, maybe different for cali trucks, I don't know for sure)

Old 12-20-2010, 07:22 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a road trip to Santa Cruz give me a call we will go get your truck smogged... But for that much you could probably just buy a aftermarket one and take it to a different shop.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by plgebbia
Is your truck a 6 speed or an auto? 6 speed trucks have cats where autos don't. (this is true for non-california models, maybe different for cali trucks, I don't know for sure)
We have at least 2 manual trans trucks in our fleet without cats. Neither are Cali trucks. I have heard the manual=cat and automatics don't theory before but that doesn't fit with our stock. I don't know how many 7.3 trucks we have exactly, but we have a dozen or two and we have a mixture of cat and non-cat trucks. Trans doesn't seem to matter.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Someone told me the 6 spd and auto thing, and it has proved true on the trucks I have worked on, but I don't know for sure....

Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I live in Southern California near the Lancaster/Palmdale area in a small town called California City....I'm really at a loss for what to do....I don't know what the hell to do.
Ever come up to the Central Coast?

Take a road trip up here to Monterey and I know a place where they follow the rules, but they also have common sense.

Case in point, when I got my F250 smogged last month, I talked to the tech about certain 7.3L's having cats and other 7.3L not having cats. He grabbed his new emissions book, looked up 7.3L and pointed to where it said "Non-Catalyst" for 7.3's. When I told him certain older model 7.3's came with cats, he smiled and pointed to the "Non-Catalyst" in the book again and said, "That's good enough for me, why look deeper?"

My truck had zero smoke during the snap tests. The tech told me if I had too much smoke, I'd fail, or if I had a SES light on I'd fail.

I passed with flying colors.

I gave the guy a $20 dollar tip and told him thanks.

Common sense....it's still out there.

Stewart

Old 12-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by gchavez
We have at least 2 manual trans trucks in our fleet without cats. Neither are Cali trucks. I have heard the manual=cat and automatics don't theory before but that doesn't fit with our stock. I don't know how many 7.3 trucks we have exactly, but we have a dozen or two and we have a mixture of cat and non-cat trucks. Trans doesn't seem to matter.
Originally Posted by plgebbia
Someone told me the 6 spd and auto thing, and it has proved true on the trucks I have worked on, but I don't know for sure....
See, that's weird. This isn't exactly the easiest thing to research, but everything I've been able to dig up and find, up until a recent post by Greg a few weeks ago (I think it was Greg), basically alluded to E99 trucks having cats (hit or miss, trans not a factor) and L99 ZF-6 equipped trucks having cats but not 4R100 equipped trucks.

Oh well....

Stewart

Old 12-20-2010, 08:20 PM
CalCity
Senior User
Just to be sure, if the truck had a cat on it, than it would be after the down pipe right? I think that the last guy put an eliminator pipe on there.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Sheldon Plankton
Senior User
Originally Posted by gchavez
....Although we only require testing here in two counties, the rest of the state is free as a bird.
I don't see how they can get away with that. When we moved to FL in the mid 90's, there were half a dozen counties scattered around the state that required emissions tests. This was deemed an unfair tax on the residents of those counties and now AFAIK no county in FL does emissions tests any more.

Cali has high tax rates, a ticking financial timebomb in the form of unfunded public sector pensions, and an atmosphere hostile to business. Its only gonna get worse.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Yes, it would be after the downpipe. There's no way to get a cat to fit between the turbo and the downpipe.

Ever come up to the Monterey Peninsula?

Stewart

Old 12-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Sheldon Plankton
Cali has high tax rates, a ticking financial timebomb in the form of unfunded public sector pensions, and an atmosphere hostile to business. Its only gonna get worse.
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!!!

Stewart

Old 12-20-2010, 08:32 PM
CalCity
Senior User
Monterey is about 300 miles from here but I don't see why I wouldn't be able to bring the trailer and family up there and stay at the beach for a couple of days after the holidays.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:48 PM
N4TECguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by snakedoc
well i can believe that it is Ca where talking about :-

i got it just move for the sick place.
Not being able to re-sell used cats is a federal law, it is illegal in all 50 states...whether it happens or not, different story
Originally Posted by fisherman2626
I just got my truck smogged and its a 02 f250 no cat straight pipe aftermarket air intake and chipped and it passed fine.
Not all 7.3s came with cats. Mine came from the factory without one but it's a North Carolina truck

There is an emissions sticker on the underside of the hood that tells you whether your truck had a cat or not. But if your truck has an aftermarket exhaust some places will still fail it anyway, with or without cats. You're not supposed to modify it at all in the eyes of CA...

Quick Reply: I HATE California **SMOG**