1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

engine/trans mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 09:50 PM
Big Hands
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy engine/trans mounts

well the old 292 in the 55 f100 bit the dust as i knew it would. It sounded like a pea thrasher and I was going to run it until it went...it did, left me on the side of the road and had to call my mopar buddy to get me back to the shop. I have a 302 and AOD to put in ....but which mounting kit to use, bolt in preferably. Have seen some from several differnet vendors, but whose is easiest? best? have stock suspension now but will put in ifs later. Thanks for your help

Steve

Old 03-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
engine/trans mounts

Sure hope you're not going to throw that old 292 away.

Old 03-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Big Hands
Senior User
engine/trans mounts

Gee Earl, is there a use for it besides a boat anchor??? I adjusted the valves a few weeks ago and one valve only opened barely and seemed to skip. I decided to drive the truck until the motor died then switch for the 302/automatic.

Didn't think there would be much value in the 292. Have a friend who wants the 3 speed.......What would the 292 be worth, generally speaking??

Still catching h_ll from my mopar and c**vy friends

walking now

Steve

Old 03-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
engine/trans mounts

Gotta tell you, if it's not totally trashed it could be worth a lot to somebody like 53choptop. He had his block freeze and crack. Yes, he'd have to have your block remachined - but he's already got all the stuff to go in it. I just hate to see a rebuildable block go away since there isn't an unlimited supply.

Old 03-04-2003, 04:06 PM
Big Hands
Senior User
engine/trans mounts

Agreed Earl, only so many blocks still in existence. My aim is not 100 % original but semi hot rod. I am not interested in rebuilding it, but this being capitalism I would probably part with it for some pictures of dead presidents.

Off to peruse catalogs

reduced to driving the new ford truck

Steve

Old 03-04-2003, 07:54 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
engine/trans mounts

Just curious were the rocker arms getting oil?

Old 03-04-2003, 08:16 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
engine/trans mounts

Originally posted by Big Hands
well the old 292 in the 55 f100 bit the dust as i knew it would. It sounded like a pea thrasher and I was going to run it until it went...it did, left me on the side of the road and had to call my mopar buddy to get me back to the shop. I have a 302 and AOD to put in ....but which mounting kit to use, bolt in preferably. Have seen some from several differnet vendors, but whose is easiest? best? have stock suspension now but will put in ifs later. Thanks for your help

Steve
BigHands,
I have a 302 with an AOD in my '59. If I can help with anything, give me a hollar!
Daryl

Old 03-05-2003, 06:28 AM
Big Hands
Senior User
engine/trans mounts

daryl, the arms were oiling , not a tremendous amount but they were oiling. To get anywhere near factory settings for the valves, several were run to the limits of adjustment, which would indicate heavy cam wear, I had decided to just run the thing as long as I could to enjoy the truck while restoring and then put in the 302.

I am not going to give up on the 292 ..will probably tear it down just to see what happened.

Steve

Old 03-05-2003, 06:34 AM
Big Hands
Senior User
engine/trans mounts

57 ford...

As mentioned to daryl, it was oiling and holding about 25 lbs going down the road at 30 mph. didn't make any noise just cut off, oil looks good, has been changed about 100 miles ago and had Lucas oil stabilizer in it.

Hands

Old 03-05-2003, 06:36 AM
Big Hands
Senior User
engine/trans mounts

Daryl, thanks for your offer. BTW, did I see your truck at Mt . Airy show last year? Saw some awesome trucks there. Good show, saw more 4 speed cars there than have seen for a long time.

I may have some hook up questions.

Thanks again

Steve

Old 03-05-2003, 07:04 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
engine/trans mounts

Originally posted by Big Hands
Daryl, thanks for your offer. BTW, did I see your truck at Mt . Airy show last year? Saw some awesome trucks there. Good show, saw more 4 speed cars there than have seen for a long time.

I may have some hook up questions.

Thanks again

Steve
Steve,
No, I've never had my truck at a show yet. Don't think I ever will, unless I go completely crazy and have the engine compartment painted. You can see my truck on my gallery here on FTE or at www.59ford.com. They named it "Slick and Quick" (boy, little do they know... Quick it ain't !!!)

Sorry about your 292. Even cracked, it's a keeper. Let us know what the ailement turned out to be once you do surgery on her. Are you planning on building the 302 at all? What rear gears are you running?

Daryl

Old 03-05-2003, 07:57 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
engine/trans mounts

Big hands, What I think happend to your 292 is your rocker arms were starving for oil wore out you cain't realy tell until you loosin them up and feel the play in them. The valves were bearly opening causing the engine quit. Just guessing, This is common for them a good set of push rods,rocker arms and a external rocker arm oiler may fix it.

Old 03-05-2003, 10:03 PM
bhabben
Senior User
engine/trans mounts

Steve,
One man's trash is another man's treasure. I'm sure there is someone that would love to have your old 292. Put her up for sale.
Adios,
Brett