Sponsored by: DP Tuner

injector cups

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:18 AM
mjlewis
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injector cups

well i was in a parking lot a few weeks ago admiring my buddies newly repaired 06' PSD 6.0, he got new head gaskets, studs and EGR delete and spent over 4k. Another buddy was with us had he has a F350 DRW with a 7.3. he said that he just got done doing his injector cups at 140k miles. said he did them himself. He told me to watch out for this at 140/150. Now i've babied my PSD and didnt think too much about what he said.
Now I have a diesel smell when the heater is on and i can smell diesel when i turn the PSD off. Never had this issue before. I'm not making coolant, and my oil level is fine. i cant see any diesel in the engine bay and no leaks on the drive way...
BTW, my truck just crossed over 140k...
so that got me thinking back to my buddies comments about the injector cups. Now i know that there are 2 ways to do this maintenance.
1. take the heads off the engine, remove and drive in new liners.
2. some shops have a tool that they made or purchased that allows them to remove the injector cups with the heads still on and then have a punch that drives the cups back into place.

i know some folks do this themselves, i just don't have the time or machine shop to fab a puller for this. my question is how much have folks paid to have the cups replaced? i'm thinking just go ahead and do all 8 and put in new O-rings.

thanks.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't think you would get a fuel smell in your heater if you did have fuel in the coolant unless you have a heater core leak
I would check for external leaks first before worrying about bigger things
could just be fuel drain o-rings leakng

Old 12-15-2010, 10:20 AM
mjlewis
Senior User
actually after i typed this message i got to thinking. where is the heater intake for the cab at? i could have a leaky o-ring, i'll go check again in the engine valley to see if i see anything. might be a fuel bowl drain valve o-rings. if so that's an easy fix. i'll just order a kit from Guzzle.
i just got a case of the "what if's" after i heard the story of the injector cups.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:31 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
If you drain is leaking you can get the o-rings at a hardware store.I have been running them in my truck for about 4 years.I have a bag of the good ones riding around with me but I really ain't into fixing what ain't broke
Where in Ga are you?In the pines I would think southern part

Old 12-15-2010, 10:57 AM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eyah sound like the fuel bowl drain leak. i had a bad fuel smell at the begining of last winter and three little orings and about 45 minutes of worked fixed me up.

Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

Old 12-15-2010, 11:35 AM
mjlewis
Senior User
i should update my profile. i'm in atlanta now, moved up from St, Mary's a few years ago. i see you're in Blairsville, how's the weather treating u up there?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:39 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
It is warming up some.It's now 32* and still have a couple inches of snow on the ground.think the low today was 12* and 7* yesterday.Highs have been in the 20s for a few days