1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

It steers

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:53 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It steers

Finally seeing some progress. I can actually call it a machine now because something moves. Got my front axle hung, spindles, backing plates and steering linkage hooked up.
Only question, I see the drag link is bent on one end. Am I correct in thinking the bent end goes to the pitman arm? Or does it make a difference.
Also I bought new tie rod ends from C&G, as well as a new drag link kit. In order to get my tie rod short enough I had to cut 1/2" off each tie rod end. The threaded portion was too long and when I put the tie rod on I had a large toe in problem. No big deal though as my toe is correct now @ 1/16" toe in.
Sorry for the dark pics, I finished up at sunset.

Attached Images   
Old 12-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fixnair
Finally seeing some progress. I can actually call it a machine now because something moves. Got my front axle hung, spindles, backing plates and steering linkage hooked up.
Only question, I see the drag link is bent on one end. Am I correct in thinking the bent end goes to the pitman arm? Or does it make a difference.
Also I bought new tie rod ends from C&G, as well as a new drag link kit. In order to get my tie rod short enough I had to cut 1/2" off each tie rod end. The threaded portion was too long and when I put the tie rod on I had a large toe in problem. No big deal though as my toe is correct now @ 1/16" toe in.
Sorry for the dark pics, I finished up at sunset.
I don't think the drag link is supposed to be bent, the one on my truck is perfectly straight. I might be wrong though. Didn't this subject come up before or did I miss it?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:50 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Those milestones are wonderful for keeping our interest up. Congrats.

I don't believe the drag link should have a bend in it, but as long as it doesn't bind and you can get the alignment correct it won't hurt anything.

I've seen pictures of some that were bent and can't imagine how they would get that way, even if abused. I wonder if it was just a QC issue with some suppliers......

Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Alcaeus
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My drag link is bent on one end and I have seen others the same. I believe that that is how they were stock. Of course I have a 56 so this may not apply. I think I remember my bend being opposite the pitman arm. I can check tonight.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My 51 drag link is straight too. But that little bend won't hurt anything. It won't hurt anything to have shortened the threads on the tie rod ends either - AS LONG AS YOU LEFT WELL ENOUGH FOR THE CLAMP TO HOLD TIGHT!

Your set up looks great!

PS if you are going to travel at freeway speeds or use radial tires you might want to think about bringing that "toe" in to 3/32 or even 1/8"

Old 12-15-2010, 06:02 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Gotta love it when a plan starts to come together!
BTW...my Saylor-Beale air compressor is still humming along with the rebuild kit I bought from you a couple of years ago, thanks again.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:09 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Thanks for the advice Julie. I was wondering about 1/16" being enough toe in for todays usage. There is plenty of purchase on the threads of the tie rod tube. At least 1". By the way I'll be in you neck of the woods this weekend. Going to visit my kids and my son lives a few miles south of Escondido, Scripps Ranch I think.
Thanks also for the compliments on my setup. It was kinda dark but I have the frame up on a home built rotissere. So much easier.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you put the wheels and tires on to set toe in? I think they need to be on to set it correctly (might be wrong). But good to see progress I am at about the same stage.

Paul

Old 12-15-2010, 11:23 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Glad to hear it Charlie. I'll be in El Cajon Saturday having lunch with my daughter. She lives on Evilo St just off Second Av.
And Paul, I do not have the wheels on yet. I still have to get the bearings and seals for the hub. When I do get my hubs on I plan on using an alignment tool to set toe. Right now I just measured from the backing plates.