Leaf Spring Swap info requested - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Leaf Spring Swap info requested

Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 AM
tjdad62
Senior User
tjdad62 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Leaf Spring Swap info requested

I have been doing some research into the leaf springs in my 1950 F3. I have a 1970 F100 9 inch that will be replacing the old tired rear. My questions are, (1) Has anyone used the leaf spring setup from those years (67-72) in their truck? (2) Has anyone used a set from a 73-79 F100/150? (3) If you did use them, how much fab work was required? I read that the 9 inch that I have is a very easy swap and was wondering if the leaf springs were along the same lines as far as ease of installation. I know that TCI offers a complete swap kit including leaf springs, but if I can use some that are already available to me and they will work, I can save myself some additional cost and shipping expense. Not trying to be a cheap @$$, just trying to avoid having two sets of springs around the already cramped garage.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:57 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
The TCI kit is nice but a little pricey for me. Though not familiar with the 67-79 rear springs, my guess is that they would be too long. I have heard of someone on the Forum using Bronco and Ranger springs but I don't remember who that was. When I was looking for some replacement rear springs for my 49 F-1, I found most all rear springs from cars and trucks were too long. However, I stumbled upon a set of early 90s Dodge Dakota D-50 springs and they were actually shorter than the F-1 springs so that's what I used. I like the Dodge truck springs although I have not yet driven it on the road. They are three leaf progressive springs. The trucks rides on two leaves and the third one is a heavy flat leaf that comes into play with loads. You get a soft ride plus load carrying capacity if you need it. I mounted the 10 bolt GM rear end from a 75 Malibu on top of the springs and the springs and hangers to the side of the frame rails with fabricated homemade brackets and I did not have to C-notch the frame. I added a shock crossmember and used 55 F-1 rear shocks. I still have over three inches of travel in the rear suspension. I got the spring plates from Summit. If you find some D-50 springs in a salvage yard be sure to tell them you need the hangers and shackles or they will cut them with a torch. These springs dropped the rear about 4-5 inches.

Here are a few pictures: