Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

trans shudder issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:19 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
trans shudder issue

I have a 01 4x4 with the cd4e.It is shuddering when I'm driving over 43 mph.I tried the drain out 4 quarts of trans fluid and put in 4 quarts of Mercon,3 times.I noticed that if you push the button to turn off overdrive nothing happens any one know what may be wrong with the o.d issue? Any ideas of additives or fixxes for the shuddering?

Old 12-12-2010, 06:25 PM
tonyford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like time for a new tranny...wish I could help you further...and bet you don't want to hear that...vehicle is going on 10 years old, you don't state the mileage or if the tranny was maintained throughout the life of the vehicle. the cd4e is the weakest point in the early Escape.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:31 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
it has 180,000 fluid was changed at 100,000

Old 12-12-2010, 07:44 PM
tonyford
Elder User
I doubt honestly that it has anything to do with the fluid, but waiting till 100K IMHO is not a good idea, but it depends if you are going to keep the vehicle or not, if you are, take your Escape to a good trans place have them diagnose the problem, then decide if the trans is worth fixing. Or shop around for a used cd4e trans. Sometimes it's just as cheap to change trannys rather than fixing the broken one.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:42 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Any one know about the overdrive switch or what might be wrong with it?I know the light on the dash works when you first turn the key on it lights up.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:54 AM
sandrat
Posting Guru
Sounds like two issues: First, the shudder. Does it come and go reall quick, lasting for just a second or less? If so, it's probably the torque converter. Had some problems with those. The torque converter clutch is going bad and is slipping. Sometimes they'll fail engaged and cause a stall when coming to a stop, especially after highway driving. Second issue could be two things, the first being that there is a code stored in the PCM for the torque converter fault, and that often times will not allow you to turn overdrive off. Or the wiring to the switch is bad in the gear selector or steering column (column shift I'm guessing?)

Old 12-14-2010, 01:02 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
thanks for the reply I talked to a trans shop and he said the same thing about it not shifting out of overdrive.AS the shuddering it seems to do it the most in o.d. and going up a hill if you let off or give it more gas it stops.Trans shop says most times a power flush will fix it or worst case $800-900.00 for a new torque converter installed.I'm hoping for the power flush and code reading fix it for $140.00.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:47 PM
sandrat
Posting Guru
Save the cash. I've done transmission flushes w/ various additives (at the customer's request) to fix torque shudders in Escapes. It will fix them short term, but usually they're back within a few thousand miles. Crown Vics, now those I can fix a torque converter shudder in with a flush and quart of Lucas, but those are about it. I'd put that $140 towards a new converter.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:50 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
thanks for the reply i'll probably just go for the converter.Got any pictures of your Capri? I had A 74,82 and A 85 love the bug eye fox box.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:37 PM
sandrat
Posting Guru
Please don't mention the car. I was supposed to be getting the frame rail repaired on it, now it looks like my "body guy" may have ruined the whole thing. It's beginning to look like my 75% clean body will end up in the scrap yard.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:01 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Talked to the trans. shop About going thru the hole trans and new converter sounds like $1200 -worst case $1800.00

Old 12-18-2010, 11:29 AM
sandrat
Posting Guru
What does going through the whole trans involve? Are they going to rebuild it or is that just an inspection? Actually $1800 as a worst case scenario doesn't sound that bad, depending on what their definition of "worst case" is.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:39 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
will its $425.00 to do a rebuild and $60. for a gasket kit so i'm thinking it is an inspection and then what needs replaced will drive up the price.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:42 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Don't rule out a engine miss, the transmission will amplify a engine miss when the converter is in lock up.

Not saying that's your issue but we have the "transmission shudder" complaint a lot in our shop and sometimes its a engine miss. I have had a CD4E shudder before but its not all that common. A good scanner with data stream will be able to tell for sure. You might get lucky with a set of plug wires.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:41 AM
DuallyMike
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but since it's a trans issue I'll ask. Got stuck in a huge drift last night on the way to work. Trying to get out, seemed like the trans was slipping in reverse. Left it sit for a while and when I got pulled out, not sure if it was slipping or not. Got to work and went to back into space. Seemed like it slipped (not sure if it was snow or ice) and then suddenly clunked and started moving. Think maybe I just overheated the band?

Quick Reply: trans shudder issue