1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tie rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:02 AM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Tie rod ends

On a '50 F-1 with the original suspension are the left and right tie rod ends supposed to be the the same size and shape, other than the reversed threads on one end? I assumed they should be the same, however, the way my truck is set up now the one on the right (passenger side) is larger and the body is tapered.

The one on the left has straight sides and is smaller ( it also has Ford script on it).

I realize that it's likely that one or both may have been replaced over the years. However, the replacement parts I purchased at NAPA are also different. They are both the same shape - similar to the left one - but the right one is bigger than the other and the bolt that goes into the spindle is longer.

Since they both have the same function I assumed that they would both be the same size and shape. Is there some reason why they would be different or is the supplier being lazy and not bothering send matched sets?

Old 12-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmmm, When I replaced mine on the 51 I never checked to see if the originals were different. But, the replacement ends were the same, and do work perfectly.

Like you I would venture to say one is a replacement. And it might be a "universal" that worked for more than one model.

Before you remove the old ones, if they are a different lenght that the new ones, be sure to measure the distane between them very carefully so you can get them back in at close to the right distance.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:29 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
The size and shape of the body isn't important, really, as long as it's strong enough to do the job. What is important it the size and shape of the tapered shaft that goes into the spindle. As long as that's the same and the parts get tight once installed, you should be good. Any other differences can be chalked up to supplier or manufacturer differences.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:16 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Before you remove the old ones, if they are a different lenght that the new ones, be sure to measure the distane between them very carefully so you can get them back in at close to the right distance.
Good idea but a little too late. I've already taken them out. I should be able to put them back in and get them fairly close to where they were by turning them to the point where rust ends and the grease begins.

The size and shape of the body isn't important, really, as long as it's strong enough to do the job. What is important it the size and shape of the tapered shaft that goes into the spindle. As long as that's the same and the parts get tight once installed, you should be good. Any other differences can be chalked up to supplier or manufacturer differences.
That's part of what I'm concerned about since the tapered shaft that goes into the spindle is longer on one than the other although the tapered section appears to be the same. I also have to confess that I get a little hung up on details like this. If they're supposed to be the same then it bothers me when they aren't. I guess it has something to do with my toilet training.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:57 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 616 Likes on 552 Posts
You should probably recheck the Toe-in, after you change tie-rod ends anyways. Being careful to get it back to where you were before you took it apart is a good thing, but not not usually good enough to get it where it really belongs.