1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Power Brake conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Erniebob
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Brake conversion.

Hi Everyone, new to this forum. A lot of Wisdom, Knowledge and experience here. And I'm sure I will need it. Have a 52 F2 that needs total restoration. Brakes is my first consideration. Has anyone converted to power brakes with the stock system? Just kind of throwing it out there. I want to build this truck as a everyday driver and I don't want to break the bank. Thanks for listening. Ernie.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Alcaeus
Elder User
Here is one of my favorite threads on front end work, brakes, etc. The stock system works well enough but so does disk or power. Its all up to your preference.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...nd-savy-2.html

Old 12-09-2010, 02:59 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ernie!

You may find, depending on the condition of your original parts, it may be cheaper in the long run to convert to discs. If you need to buy new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, springs and hardware, hoses, etc, just for the front end, the front disc conversion kit is cheaper, and it comes with bearings, seals, bolts and brackets, etc. If you're buying a booster and master cylinder anyway, that cost is no different, so you may as well get all the stuff together that matches.

Before making any decissions, shop and compare. ;-)

Old 12-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Alcaeus
Elder User
and WELCOME to the forum! I didn't see your post count. Hope to see you around more.

Post Pictures!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Erniebob
New User
Thanks for the welcome and the advice on the brakes Guys. This will give me something to ponder over. Will be changing over that split rearend to maybe a 9 inch with 5 lugs if I go the Front disc Brake route. Thanks again for your input. Have a Merry and Blessed Christmas All. Ernie

Old 12-10-2010, 10:26 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE! If you go with power drums or discs you may want to consider using a hanging pedal and a late modeled power booster from a donor car or truck. The under-the-floor MC is a PITA since it's hard to fill and fraught with problems due to it being lower than the calipers (fluid tends to drain back into to the MC requiring special inline valves to prevent that) and it's much more expensive than a salvage yard brake pedal and booster if you're on a budget!...

Old 12-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Erniebob
New User
Thanks for the welcome Vern and the good advice on that power brake unit. I've got a few things mulling around in my head and will take your input into consideration. That definately would be a wiser way to go. Thanks, Ernie.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:17 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Howdy,

The other thing you might consider is to use a split system M/C for the increased safety.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Corrupt Silence
Senior User
I'm by no means trying to thread jack, but saw something that concerned me. I'm doing a complete new brake setup on my truck. I have the Volare front with disc brakes, and a 9" rear axle with drum brakes. I was planning on buying the power brake kit that sits under the floor in the stock location. (Never thought about it being lower and bleeding back into the master cyclinder. ) What if I went with the No Limit version that comes with the remote resevoir?
BOLT ON BRAKE KIT 1953-56 FORD F-100 COMPLETE KIT w/ REMOTE-No Limit Engineering
Or is it simply wiser to do the firewall mount? I was trying to keep under the hood clean and as an added bonus not have to worry about valve cover to booster clearance issues.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Corrupt Silence
What if I went with the remote resevoir
……………….and a couple of in line residual check valves and you’re sailing.

What is in fact undesirable to some is nothing but a challenge to others!

Old 12-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Phoenixson
Senior User
I'm by no means trying to thread jack, but saw something that concerned me. I'm doing a complete new brake setup on my truck. I have the Volare front with disc brakes, and a 9" rear axle with drum brakes. I was planning on buying the power brake kit that sits under the floor in the stock location. (Never thought about it being lower and bleeding back into the master cyclinder. ) What if I went with the No Limit version that comes with the remote resevoir?
BOLT ON BRAKE KIT 1953-56 FORD F-100 COMPLETE KIT w/ REMOTE-No Limit Engineering
Or is it simply wiser to do the firewall mount? I was trying to keep under the hood clean and as an added bonus not have to worry about valve cover to booster clearance issues.
I've got the same question. I actually bought a firewall mount MC that has not been installed yet. I'm worried it will change the character of the truck to much.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Corrupt Silence
Senior User
Originally Posted by Old F1
……………….and a couple of in line residual check valves and you’re sailing.

What is in fact undesirable to some is nothing but a challenge to others!
Too true. Thanks...

Old 12-11-2010, 08:58 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
If you want to use the under-the-floor kit to keep the firewall clean I can understand. I care more about functionality than looks on my truck. If you use the inline residual valves front and rear then hopefully you will not have the problem with fluid draining back to the MC. I had a 29 Ford years ago with an under-the-floor MC and the fluid drained back even WITH the inline residual valves so I had to be sure that I pumped the brakes once before stopping every time I stopped. I swore after that I would never use an under-the-floor system again. Also, you have to deal with getting the holes in the floor where the pedals go through sealed and getting the exhaust routed around the MC. It just seems simpler to me to use the hanging pedals. Valve cover and booster interference is a non-issue since power brake boosters come as small as 7 inches in diameter. The 87 Chrysler booster and MC with stock combination valve works perfectly on my 48 with Volare front and Mopar drum rear. I also use Dot 5 fluid in it...

Old 12-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Corrupt Silence
Senior User
Thanks for the heads up! That's exactly why I'm always on here. (I may not post a lot, but I read damn near everything.) Better to learn through others misfortune. lol

Old 12-11-2010, 06:06 PM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a under floor power brake system with a dual M/C and mustang power brake booster.. I filled it two years ago and had no reason to check it since. There are no leaks and I mounted a buzzer under the dash off the fluid pressure switch so if I have a issue it turns on the buzzer.How often do you need to check or fill up the fluid in your newer vehicles?
Larry