My Harley Ex, Finally done!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:10 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TYZ78F150
Hey VAsheriff,
I got a ticket from a state trooper back in October for having my 4runner at 20%. This was up in springfield though. I live in Stafford, and haven't been messed with yet after 6 years of living in there. I assume the "sheriff" part of your sig might tend to help you out a tad bit huh? HA HA
20% in Virginia would be illegal on the front doors of a 4Runner, with or without a medical exemption.

I have a medical exemption for the driver and passenger doors. The exemption allows me to take the front doors down to 35%. From there back you can have any degree of tint your heart desires in Virginia. I have 5% on everything behind the front doors. I actually have about 2% on the rear gate glass, an original 20% with a layer of 5% on it.

snips from state code 46.2-1052 -------

§ 46.2-1052. Tinting films, signs, decals, and stickers on windshields, etc.; penalties.

G. Nothing in this section shall prohibit applying to the rear side windows or rear window of any multipurpose passenger vehicle or pickup truck sun-shading or tinting films that reduce the total light transmittance of such window or windows below 35 percent.

"Multipurpose passenger vehicle" means any motor vehicle that is (i) designed to carry no more than 10 persons and (ii) constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road use;

Old 12-09-2010, 07:18 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cbradford
Or he has a medical reason!
I do have a medical exemption in Virginia. I was diagnosed with photophobia after the city I worked for put dark tint on our sheriff cars so people couldn't see who we were transporting. Switching back and forth between the city vehicles and my personal vehicles played havoc on my eyes.

This medical exemption allows me 35% all around on a normal passenger sedan, and 35% on the front windows of a pickup truck or SUV. The norm without a medical waiver is 50%.

And of course, anybody can have anything on the rear doors and rear windows of any pickup truck or SUV.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:40 PM
kosmo101
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what does something like this conversion cost..meaning taking a stock 03 and making the front end look like yours? What parts exactly need to be replaced.

Thank you

Old 12-09-2010, 07:41 PM
JumpinJoe
Mountain Pass

Nice Look on the HD. Question, are the bumpers taken off and painted (my chrome is starting to oxidize.. maybe it's time) and the steps painted, or do you have to buy new fiberglass parts? In other words, is the HD conversion paint or replace? Thanks in advance for the info.

Originally Posted by bigrayq

Old 12-09-2010, 08:35 PM
bigrayq
Junior User
Wow alot of activity on this thread today! Let me answer some questions.

Vasherrif, When I picked it up it actually had super dark tints on all the rear glass. The tint was old and turning kinda purple. I had those removed and I just liked the increased visibility so much that I just left the factory privacy tint on the rear and went with 20% on the two front windows. Plus I kinda like the contrast of the black with the beige Leather interior.

Robd827, The tires are the OEM tire size on the Harley F-250 rims. I believe its 275/65 R20

Kosmo101 and Jumpinjoe, The 05 front end conversion is kinda pricey and I bought it all new, some Aftermarket some OEM. 1st the parts you need are the 05 one piece lights. I got mine on ebay, I got the Harley blacked out ones but they have them clear and other styles as well Price was like $179.00, Next is the 05 Excursion Header Panel. They sell aftermarket ones and OEM. I went Oem and it was like $120.00, next, Frontgrill, I bought it on ebay Aftermarket $249.00. Then the upper bumper piece that sits just under the lights. I ordered the one that could be painted and went OEM. They sell a textured plastic one also but its trickier to paint so I've been told, price $100.00, then main bumper, I went aftermarket, I think it was like $190.00 I, then Lower valance under the bumper, like $50.00, also the Foglights and the some 05 bumper brackets, roughly another $150.00.

Everything came together great, and looks Factory. I went with the OEM header panel cause it pretty much lines everything up and I've heard the aftermarket ones are kind of Flimsy.

I hope that answers all the questions. Again, Thank all of you for commenting, It makes the build that much more fun and gratifying. Most all of my local friends love it except I've gotten mixed reviews on the chrome Harley Davidson lettering along the rear side of the truck. Thats actually my favorite part of the truck. To me the truck wasn't really complete until I did that.

Thanks again Guys!

Old 12-09-2010, 09:16 PM
bigrayq
Junior User
a few interior pics

Old 12-09-2010, 09:58 PM
kosmo101
New User
cant seem to find that grill on ebay.. do you know who the seller was or the brand name? any help is appreciated.

thanks kevin

Old 12-09-2010, 10:22 PM
bigrayq
Junior User
mkmcustoms.com is the webpage. I went through ebay but they have their own web page also. I just saw that They actually sell an entire front end conversin kit with everything you need

Old 12-10-2010, 04:45 AM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
That truck is just plain...not plain...it's just awesome! Thanks for sharing! I love it! Btw is it possible to get a harley interior seat set? That would rock, even in my truck.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:21 AM
kosmo101
New User
hi

they dont seem to have that exact grill....

also your steering wheel...was that changed as I had no seen an 03 with the temp/volume pad on the wheel.

thanks

Old 12-10-2010, 07:33 AM
bigrayq
Junior User
Thanks Peace to peep! I love your truck as well. The only other wheels i even considered putting on my Ex. are the ones you have on yours! Harley Seats would rock, but we are talking some big money.

Kosmo, here's the link to the grille, and I'm not aware of a change in my steering wheel. I assumed it was OEM. I bought the ex used and I was unaware the 03 didn't have the temp/volume pad

Ford Harley Davidson Grille Fits 2005-2007 Super Duty / Excursion

Old 12-10-2010, 07:38 AM
kosmo101
New User
yea seems to be a difference between eddie bauer edition and limited.

one last thing..did you have/remove the side cladding or is it painted body color? i cant tell from the photo. I assume you had the front and rear bumpers painted to match?

thanks!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:45 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Black is IT !!!! (when clean )

When I went to trade my 03 Black Limited in for the latest and greatest 05,
there were no more blacks left, so had to settle for an 05 Eddie Bauer....

Still love it though !

fyi - steering wheel controls go back a ways - depends on trim level, options, etc...

my 03 had it for sure and iirc so did my 02....

Old 12-10-2010, 07:48 AM
bigrayq
Junior User
The rear Bumper was already Black, the new front bumper was all painted to match. I don't know what you mean by the cladding? I assume you mean the fender flares which were also already black.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:50 AM
bigrayq
Junior User
Thanks for the info Jdad!

Quick Reply: My Harley Ex, Finally done!!