Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radius Arm Bracket Broke

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Barry Eck
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Radius Arm Bracket Broke

1995 F-150 has a broken passengers side Radius arm bracket have not got it up on the lift for a full inspection. Noticed the bracket has bolts in it this would make me think it has been replace before. I also have a 1990 F-150 4 wheel drive the bracket appears to be the same and it still has the factory rivets, we have already cut the front axel out. What type of other damage could have happened to the front end ? This seems to be a common problem with these trucks. Good news we have a few parts trucks here. Any tips and or advice about this project will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance;
Barry

Old 12-05-2010, 11:14 PM
fairlane68
Senior User
No, it's not a common problem...unless the truck has been beaten on. If the bracket has bolts in it, it means that the radius arm bushings have been replaced.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Barry Eck
Junior User
Radius Arm

Thank you for your reply, I am looking for new information yes perhaps your right the radius arm is not a common problem as this is my first truck to have this problem it is not from being beaten on. I am seeking advice about the solution not talking about the problem, to correct this. I do have four F-150 and two F-250 some of the common problems are the spring hanger shackles rotting out. I find here in New England we have tons of salt and other chemicals thrown down on the road way. I've replaced a few sets of the spring hangers. Another issues on one of the trucks a 1996 F-150 4x4 the A frame drivers side is failing with rust/rot issues these trucks are never taken off road except on a job site & adult driven. Do you have advice about this repair, since this my first one. Just trying to save some time since I am not an expert.
Thank you in advance,

Old 12-06-2010, 07:53 AM
chinook507
Freshman User
Radius arm bushing have been problems with Fords. My 91 Explorer had them replaced twice with no abuse. My 94 explorer needs them replaced with no abuse either, so I kinda disagree with Fairlane68's abuse comment. I dont wanna discount his credentials but this seems to be a complaint by many Ford Truck owners. It is just one of the things you deal with when you have a 4wd Ford. I am not sure about a better bushing sold out there but I am definitely looking so I can replace the Explorer's bushings, I was thinking of a poly bushing this time.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:15 AM
fairlane68
Senior User
Originally Posted by chinook507
Radius arm bushing have been problems with Fords. My 91 Explorer had them replaced twice with no abuse. My 94 explorer needs them replaced with no abuse either, so I kinda disagree with Fairlane68's abuse comment. I dont wanna discount his credentials but this seems to be a complaint by many Ford Truck owners. It is just one of the things you deal with when you have a 4wd Ford. I am not sure about a better bushing sold out there but I am definitely looking so I can replace the Explorer's bushings, I was thinking of a poly bushing this time.
I didn't say the bushings weren't a common problem. Go back and read what the OP said and what I said. I was responding to his comment about the radius arm brackets themselves breaking. That is NOT a common problem. The bushings are a wear item...they're supposed to be replaced. How often depends on what kind of use or abuse the truck is subjected to.

Now that you've mentioned where you are and have put your location in your profile, no, it's not uncommon to see trucks that live in the salt belt to gradually disintegrate. How to fix it? Well, short of a full frame-off and repainting and coating every part under the truck, you'll never get it all, and once it's started to corrode, the clock is ticking. I grew up in Virginia where they salt the roads and have the beach saltwater to deal with, so I've had a truck or two develop some rot. Including my Bronco. Fix it if you can, or if not, strip it and junk the rest. Got a sandblaster? If you have 1/8" thick steel parts falling off the frame, that truck is gone, because it's likely that the frame has rotted through.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:55 AM
rockin300
Post Fiend
mine cracked on my truck a year ago and it was due to being a plow truck

Old 12-06-2010, 02:08 PM
chinook507
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fairlane68
I didn't say the bushings weren't a common problem. Go back and read what the OP said and what I said. I was responding to his comment about the radius arm brackets themselves breaking. That is NOT a common problem. The bushings are a wear item...they're supposed to be replaced. How often depends on what kind of use or abuse the truck is subjected to.

Now that you've mentioned where you are and have put your location in your profile, no, it's not uncommon to see trucks that live in the salt belt to gradually disintegrate. How to fix it? Well, short of a full frame-off and repainting and coating every part under the truck, you'll never get it all, and once it's started to corrode, the clock is ticking. I grew up in Virginia where they salt the roads and have the beach saltwater to deal with, so I've had a truck or two develop some rot. Including my Bronco. Fix it if you can, or if not, strip it and junk the rest. Got a sandblaster? If you have 1/8" thick steel parts falling off the frame, that truck is gone, because it's likely that the frame has rotted through.
Relax...sorry I misread.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:45 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The bracket could have been replaced or it could be bolted b/c the bushings were changed also. I have never pulled the brackets out to change radius arm bushings before, but I know some people do. When you change the brackets, sand blast them or sand them down really good and coat them with POR-15 or something to prevent rust. If you have the front end out of the truck you might as well check the beam brackets to make sure they aren't cracked or anything. Go ahead and put in new axle pivot bushings and of course new radius arm bushings. Also if the front end is out you should check the ball joints and replace if needed.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Barry Eck
Junior User
Thank you for you added information yes out of 5 trucks two of the frames are all done in different spots making them just parts trucks for the others. Just for the Point of Order we purchased a new spring hanger/shackle that was powder coated from Ford new when the paint was ground down still being new, there was rust on the steel under the paint. It is of the opinion these Trucks are designed and engineered to fail. My point the 1989 & 1990 F-250 frames are in much better shape than the 1995 & 1996 F-150 4x4 one of each was used from some plowing, however the ones not used for plowing are in worse shape.Thank again for the feed back need to get the truck into the heated garage and up on the lift.
I' ll keep you posted with our progress.