1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

off subject but it cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:45 AM
mt54
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well its not all that cold here, sometghing about 2 feet of snow that makes you feel all warm inside
I'm 1hr south of Buffalo, NY
I guess that says it all.....................

Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its warm up here!!! only -12 degrees celcius, by the way, I left the door open!!!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:34 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by arrowheadfred
I started this trend not to bit c h about the cold But to rub it in . LOL LOL When yall were kids you had to live were mom and dad whated to live. MOST of you all are grown know so its your on choice to live in the cold. Being from florida all my life I DON'T GET IT. LOL LOL LOLNUM NUTS
Wait until you get a little older and that humidity starts working on you. I lived in Florida for 50 years before moving to the beautiful White Mountains of New Hampshire. In my youth the 90-100 degree temps didn't bother me either but as I approached retirement age I couldn't tolerate it any longer. I don't like the extreme cold and I put up with the snow but I do love the cool summers here...

Old 12-06-2010, 10:12 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I have found that as I age I prefer the colder climates too. I think it has something to do with if you are cold you can always put on a sweater but if you are hot, you can only take so much off before it becomes socially unacceptable.

And if you are aging anything like I am, the older I get, the heavier I get so taking clothing off in public is heavily frowned upon.

Sorry if that gives you a disturbing mental image!

Old 12-06-2010, 12:09 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by BACAGrizz
I have found that as I age I prefer the colder climates too. I think it has something to do with if you are cold you can always put on a sweater but if you are hot, you can only take so much off before it becomes socially unacceptable.

And if you are aging anything like I am, the older I get, the heavier I get so taking clothing off in public is heavily frowned upon.

Sorry if that gives you a disturbing mental image!
I wouldn't mind a little more rain, a little more humidity, lots more greenery, but it seems like as soon as you get any of those you get bugs. NM is largely free of flies, skeeters, etc.

If anyone finds a place that has as mild of winters as ABQ, tolerable dry summers, low taxes, cheap real estate, and greenery, let me know! Oh, and three women for every man... I'm just sayin'...

Old 12-06-2010, 12:23 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What's a fire ant?? LOL

Old 12-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by old_dan
What's a fire ant?? LOL
Something only Satan would like, here is what Wikipedia says:

Fire ants are a variety of stinging ants with over 280 species worldwide. They have several common names including ginger ants and tropical fire ants (English), hormigas bravas or hormigas coloradas (Spanish), fourmis de feu (French), Feuerameisen (German), mod-kun-fai (Thai), Pulang Langgam(Filipino), and aka-hi-ari or aka-kami-ari (Japanese).

Trust me you don't ever want to meet them. Stinging buggers........ARRRGG

Old 12-06-2010, 01:16 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah...I know, but we don't have them here! I became familiar with those when I used to spend summers on my uncle's farm in Kentucky.

My brother in law moved to Mississippi. He called me a little while after he'd been living there and said...."did you know that you aren't supposed to run over the fire-ant hills with the lawnmower?"

Last edited by old_dan; 12-06-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 12-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I wouldn't mind a little more rain, a little more humidity, lots more greenery, but it seems like as soon as you get any of those you get bugs. NM is largely free of flies, skeeters, etc.

If anyone finds a place that has as mild of winters as ABQ, tolerable dry summers, low taxes, cheap real estate, and greenery, let me know! Oh, and three women for every man... I'm just sayin'...
Hey Ross, come on up here were the winters are mild, warm dry summers, and lots of greenery and three women for every man (Not). Only thing is: taxes are high and real estate is out'a this world high. We have a few flies and skeeters but they are tolerable. The summers are great if you like crusing, camping and fishing. We're about 15 miles from the most beautiful mountains in the world, the Rockies. Let me know when your in the area.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Mervy49
Hey Ross, come on up here were the winters are mild, warm dry summers, and lots of greenery and three women for every man (Not). Only thing is: taxes are high and real estate is out'a this world high. We have a few flies and skeeters but they are tolerable. The summers are great if you like crusing, camping and fishing. We're about 15 miles from the most beautiful mountains in the world, the Rockies. Let me know when your in the area.
I went up to Victoria and toured much of the island, and have been to Whistler-Blackcomb -- you live in a beautiful place! Pricey doesn't begin to say it tho. I didn't think $80 for High Tea fit my budget! Fortunately at Whistler I was on someone elses' meter.

PS -- summer needs to be longer than a couple months to suit me -- and ABQ is in the Rockies, I agree with your assessment

Old 12-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Talking about them fire ants, many years ago as a young adult I was bush hogging 4 acres of pasture I had with a little 8N ford tractor and a 5 foot pull behind mower and dang near felt like I was about to flip that 8N! Right front tire ran up on about a 2 foot high mound of them red devils! I'd hit them mounds with the mower and nearly stall it out! And yes Fred its COLD up here too! Suppose to be down around 22 for our lows the next 3 nights!

Old 12-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Speaking of all this beautiful weather and all the fringe benefits that it provides, does anybody have a reccommendation on which brand of those drive on rubberized garage mats is best? I want the one that has a ridge around the outside so it holds all that mud and water when my truck (not my old trucks--they're tucked away for winter) thaws out. My garage gets flooded every single time I pull in during weather like this.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:31 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
when you are used to 118+ in summer 26 degrees in flipping cold for desert rats like me....fifty two f1,,,you have a nice truck,,,,dont ever treat that truck bad...a lot of folks spend years to have a nice truck like that,,,your lucky to have one like that,,,it dont matter if it was given to you or your rich,,,etc,it is a piece of american history and everyone respects that,sorry i went off subject
Thanks, my grandfather and I rebuilt that truck. It took 3 years to complete. I love it. It is my show truck so it lives at his house in temperature controlled environment. I continue to put options on it as I find them. I have gained a lot of respect for the older vehicles and have learned a ton from that restoration. I am currently building a mild custom 51 for a daily driver...

Old 12-06-2010, 05:45 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
Wayne S, it is suppose to warm to low 70's by the weekend, then cold again Monday.
I am about 40 miles from there, have fun and leave some fish for the next guy...

Paul

Old 12-06-2010, 07:06 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
zephyrhills fl

Originally Posted by Wayne S
We are going to have our coldest week of the season this coming week.I hope the door is closed in Fl by Wednesday cause I will be flying to Zephyrhills Fl Wed morning.Can't wait to go fishing with my Dad.
I LIVE IN HUDSON FL ABOUT 25-30 MILES FROM ZEPHYRHILLS IT WOULD BE NICE TO MEET YOU BOB