1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

AOD floor shifter options

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
AOD floor shifter options

Hi everybody!
I have chatted a little with HILLBILLY BOB on this,but wanted to see what others may be using.

I can always order the LOKAR for the AOD and that may be the way I have to go, but there should be other factory floor shift options that went with the AOD, and I like to shop at the salvage yard before the aftermarket.
Hillbilly Bob has a ford aerostar setup that he is working on. Its got a longer stick and that makes sense.
I am keeping the stock benchseat at this time...always subject to change later. I could do some welding on the tunnel pan to bring up the floor mount or something like that. just want some feedback on what y'all may be using, thats all! Thanks in Advance!

Old 12-03-2010, 10:37 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geez! i`m not quite finished my shifter install but here it goes!! i went to the wreckers a few weeks ago and found a shifter out of a mid 2000 t-bird with a 3.8l v6, its a nice cable operated shifter, the only thing its for a aode and has 1,2 D instead of 1,d,od, i also took the complete housing which fits into the floor hump, I then built a hump onto my transmission acess cover and mounted the shifter to that,took the shifter handle off and indicator, the plan is to extend the shifter something similar to a genie shifter, i can post pictures next week of what i have done so far if your interested, total cost of shifter so far is $10.00

Old 12-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Thanks pitshop! no rush on the pics! but its sounds like a good way to go for $10. heck you can mess up quite a few times for that price, thats how I look at it anyway. I have bought two different steering columns, learned some things, and still have a third of the cost of an aftermarket column!
Not sure what the "GEEZ!" is for but if your are worried about me being done before you? you can certainly relax! I'm nowhere near seeing any light at the end of the tunnel...not even close!
Just makin plans for the shifter because I want to know if I need to do any changes in the floor pan/tranny cover gonna be pullin the cab off within the next thirty days.
i really would like to replace the floor pan but i may just patch a couple of questionable areas and call it good.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:28 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 290 Likes on 200 Posts
Does your truck have a Y-Block?If it does,I suggest you mosey on over to the Y-Blocks Forever site.Join up, search their archived posts, and you'll come across one that a guy describes using an AOD, correct tail-shaft, etc. He lists all correct parts, and doing it his way places the shift lever in the correct spot that requires no cutting of the floor board,or replacing/modifying of the stock seat.You should join that site,you'll enjoy it.

P.S. - In case you put one of those off-brand,crack-head,scrub motors in your truck, they will patiently and lovingly show you how to repent of your evil ways,and help you back onto the straight and narrow path.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
P.S. - In case you put one of those off-brand,crack-head,scrub motors in your truck, they will patiently and lovingly show you how to repent of your evil ways,and help you back onto the straight and narrow path.
Well it IS a Ford engine...there may have been a crackhead or two at that salvage yard, but I don't drugs and I'm not quite sure what you mean by scrub motor, and yes I DO need to SCRUB my motor, but I don't think thats where you were goin with that!

Old 12-03-2010, 11:56 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I know this isn't an AOD....it's a C6, but I bought a Lokar shifter cheap on ebay. It is quality hardware, but there are two things that I really don't like about it: 1. one of the mounts is fastened to the band adjuster. That is a special nut with a built in seal....they say to put some silicone on the shaft...like silicone sealant will stand up to ATF; and 2. the shift **** can't really be changed without some fabrication work because there is a release button built into the **** (that is a minor point...but no custom ****).

Old 12-03-2010, 12:01 PM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Thanks pitshop! no rush on the pics! but its sounds like a good way to go for $10. heck you can mess up quite a few times for that price, thats how I look at it anyway. I have bought two different steering columns, learned some things, and still have a third of the cost of an aftermarket column!
Not sure what the "GEEZ!" is for but if your are worried about me being done before you? you can certainly relax! I'm nowhere near seeing any light at the end of the tunnel...not even close!
Just makin plans for the shifter because I want to know if I need to do any changes in the floor pan/tranny cover gonna be pullin the cab off within the next thirty days.
i really would like to replace the floor pan but i may just patch a couple of questionable areas and call it good.
its all good!! i like sharing my ideas! i just like completing them before i post them up! but i`ll post em up just for you!! just came back from lunch and snapped a few pics, its actually off a mid 90` bird

don`t have pictures of the shifter bezel on, i kinda misplaced it!, but my idea is to build a alluminum shaft that slides over the shifter shaft and either have a button on the shifter **** or the shifter itself push down to unlock the detent.
the mechanism will be covered with a boot and a fiberglass enclosure built into a console

Old 12-03-2010, 12:03 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
I'm not quite sure what you mean by scrub motor
C***y = Scrub.Whew,that's nice to hear you have a Ford motor, and are not an Infidel!LOL

Old 12-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
ibuzzard
Yeah thats what I was thinkin ya meant! Nope!! if I had a CH**Y pickup project then it would have an engine from the same manufacturer, but I like to match FOUR letter words with FOUR letter words!
yeah the front suspension is out of "JAAG"...see how that works!

PITSHOP:
even though its not done, I get to see your tunnel work, I like what you are doin there! I love to graft stuff in like that! It makes the possibilities almost endless! Now I gotta go visit my "crackhead" salvage yard boys!

old_dan:
thanks for the heads up on the lokar! I agree that seems a little desperate to mount it to the band adjuster. maybe I will steer away from that. Thanks for the info!

Old 12-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

P.S. - In case you put one of those off-brand,crack-head,scrub motors in your truck
Hey, I resemble that remark!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I guess it's a Cootie Bobbed, poodle truck too.

Drew

Old 12-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Drewski,
I would love to drive that truck of yours even with the Generic Motors Corp. powerplant!

cause that thing is super cool!!!

No offense from me! its just that like a little purity(whatever that means)

Old 12-03-2010, 01:41 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Originally Posted by Drewski 2
Hey, I resemble that remark!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I guess it's a Cootie Bobbed, poodle truck too.

Drew
Sorry, Drew, I enjoy participating in the time-honored tradition of Scrub-Bashing, and I'm sure 'Those Guys" equally relish the opportunity to malign the integrity of us Ford guys. Then again,there's the problem of just exactly what to do with you half-breeds,LOL!Really,build whatever pleases you, you're footing the bills.Steve.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry, Drew, I enjoy participating in the time-honored tradition of Scrub-Bashing, and I'm sure 'Those Guys" equally relish the opportunity to malign the integrity of us Ford guys. Then again,there's the problem of just exactly what to do with you half-breeds,LOL!Really,build whatever pleases you, you're footing the bills.Steve.
Doesn't bother me, just part of the fun of building cars and trucks that are just a little different. Really wish I had an old 354 or 392 Hemi in my truck. Then it would really be a mongrel. Oh yeah, I forgot it's already got some mopar heritage.(roof skin) Now if I could just find some studebaker and rambler parts to use on it.

Drew

Old 12-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies. Its always a big help!

Old 12-13-2010, 02:38 PM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
So, did you get a shifter yet??

Quick Reply: AOD floor shifter options