1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

How many of you?...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Gagew90
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many of you?...

Ever feel like tracking down your trucks previous owner and hurting them very badly, my truck only has 110k miles on it and the lack of maintenance just makes me sick

Old 12-01-2010, 11:58 PM
mongo12
Senior User
well i wouldn't go that far to beat him (badly) but i would like to know how he survives life. my truck has 244,xxx bought for 4900 and the brakes were gone, glow plug system was shot, water pump took a dump, starter was shot, the bed was abused by a slide in camper, and NO BLOCK HEATER!!!!!!!!!! This guy lives Truckee, CA were single digits are supreme and the roads are slick. thought id give a little rant.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:39 AM
marks500
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gagew90
Ever feel like tracking down your trucks previous owner and hurting them very badly, my truck only has 110k miles on it and the lack of maintenance just makes me sick
Oh Yes I do! lol

Old 12-02-2010, 10:44 AM
B Big
Senior User
My '95 dually. The previous owner NEVER took care of. When I got it there was an empty can of starting fluid plus a half full can in the the cab, the batteries were old, the starter solenoid was bad & the glow plug circuit was shot. He would jump the solenoid with a screw driver while spraying starting fluid into the air intake.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:48 AM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
sorry you guys had that! i happened to find a log in my truck of every maintenance done to her since day one, tons of receipts!! he got porked a few times at ford for something i do in my garage to my truck on a daily basis LOL i wish you guys had the same! every oil change was at 3k and brakes were done, lube was religious.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:17 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
The problem with my truck is that it WAS maintained!

By IDIOTS that have no business even touching a lawnmower let alone a one ton truck. two of the shops are ones that I quit, actually stormed out cussing and making a major scene, because the owners and most of the mechanics were crooks. They filled my transmission with gear oil, charged the owner for an entire brand new clutch assembly and FLYWHEEL from Ford but only had the disc relined. I know the work of the guy that did the reline. The only problem when I got it was the pedal assembly. I'm sure that was it all along too. I've since had to replace the entire clutch thanks to a piece of the wrong kind of hose installed on the fuel filter by the FORD dealer. It blew and soaked my clutch in diesel fuel.
They had the rear brakes on completely backwards, two carrier bolts in the rear diff left loose when all they did was replace the pinion seal. NO reason whatsoever to pull the carrier. I won't even get into the wiring mess they did. I had to replace the entire engine and dash harness. Oh and one of the original front auto hubs was missing most of the parts so it wouldn't work. And both of the inner wheel bearing locknuts were on backwards. Pin facing inwards. IDIOTS! I did get my hands on one of the mechanics. The one that ripped him off on the front brake job. He's unemployed now. And I seriously doubt he will ever find work in this area again. This is the reason I refuse to work for any shops any more. They are all flat rate and you will not get a mechanic that takes pride in his work when speed is all he is concerned with. Most shop owners encourage speed over quality here too. It's just sickening.
Oh I almost forgot, one local well known truck shop charged the previous owner over 2000 dollars diagnosing that annoying sluggishness and strange noise under the hood when it's below freezing. Ya all know the EBPV valve working like it should. Their cure for it, unplug the ebpv and sell him a new ac compressor claiming the compressor was the cause. I was so mad when I read that ticket that I burst a blood vessel.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Iallwork
Elder User
I suppose they even put the tires on inside out.lol

Old 12-02-2010, 12:04 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
might as well have. Firestone here sold him load range D tires when it calls for E. It had this slide in in it when I got it too. The also owner never took it off so they knew. They were some fancy winter tire that cost more than the michelins I have on it now.

It was all a case of lets see how much this 60 something year old man can pay before he gets suspicious. It's all too common with people that don't know anything about cars.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Gagew90
Senior User
sometimes you feel bad when a PO doesnt know about diesels or general maintenance for that and gets taken advantage of, then there is the PO's that never gave a *****, i swear every component was unplugged in my engine compartment, if it didnt work they either cut the wiring or unplugged it, EBPV, fuel bowl heater to name two that were unplugged but both worked fine when i plugged them back in, trailer brake wires were just cut, when they took the bumper off to put a tommy gate on instead of zip tying the bumper lights and trailer plugs they were just cut, i dont even wanna get into the fluids or brakes or steering!, and i've been saying PO but the PO of my truck was a major trucking company up here in seattle, shop mechanics did this, its sickening. on the bright side though the poor maintenance past gave me one h*ll of a truck for cheap

Old 12-03-2010, 03:31 AM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
i know this sounds really terrible but im kinda on the glad side the po didnt take care of my truck because i got mine for dirt cheap. the salesman at the lot was kinda of an idiot so after test driving it and almost being shaken of the road by the bad brakes and yelling at him not to floor it like its a gaser immidiatly after starting it and pouring white smoke and all the other little stuff i got him down to 3k. now dont get me wrong i was pretty pissed when i got home and changed all the fluids and filters and they were all jet black. i mean the fuel filter, air filter, tranny fiuld, i mean cmon how rediculous is it that my tranny fluid was black i have never seen that. so after about $600 dollars or so in just maintence the truck was running like a champ except for the glow plugs still havent dont that yet. but yes 90% of po of deisels drive them like gasers and treat them like crap.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:22 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,137 Posts
no really, mine came from a friend who is a helicopter pilot/mechanic, it had a log book with complete history, 3,000 mile synthetic oil changes, all preventive maintenance done and logged. I bought it over the phone! when I bought it I hadn't seen the truck in 8 years. I just went to his house with cash and bought it.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:44 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine wasn't to terribly bad. Yeah the guy thought he took good care of it. Transmission rebuild, all new brakes, calipers, hoses, rotors, lines, wheel bearings, all new springs and bushings, air bags installed wrong, all new fluids (of course), the standard fuel leaks, u joints, stuck thermostat, 100' of useless wire I had to remove, several oil changes to remove most of the junk in the engine, tons of old candy and crap under the seats, drinks spilled on the seats, switches that do nothing, auxiliary lighting that doesn't work . Other than that it was in pretty good shape. So my answer is yes.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:37 AM
blackjack95
Freshman User
lmao.just the thread i was looking for.well 1st off it needed a new starter because it was hanging up in the ring gear.then i needed a new clutch in it because it was slipping.the kid must of known it be cause when i went to replace the clutch some or should i say almost all the bolt were loose and he decided it was to much work and left it like that.then i needed new uni joints in the front axl.the wiring harness in the back for trailer lights isn't hooked up right its all tied up there in a mess.id kind of like to find him and jam that bad uni joint some where not so nice.(ok so after i got to reading the other post and realized where this thread was i know now im in the Diesel section.i have gas but the same idea applies.)

Old 03-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I didn't notice on my truck when i picked it up after going over it pretty good that the frame was welded.

But I dont know if he did that or the PO before him did it. He hadn't had the truck long I don't think.

I got a Chinese hood, Chinese fender and a poorly welded frame with bent bumper brackets as well. So hard to align my bumper.

The truck was a mess in the cab.
Pulled out a gallon bucket full of Dirt and mud from the rocker pannels and under the seat.

the rest of the truck was well taken care of though.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:59 AM
mq1shooter
Elder User
My best buddies company bought a boat-load on non-white OBS equipment....All the "operators" ran them VERY hard...that has to be a fear when one is looking for a truck...dig deep as you can....find someone with a scanner...load for Bear...

Quick Reply: How many of you?...