Indiana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:

December 2010 - General Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:58 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jredline1984
Good Morning and TGIF! I had a less than spectacular experience the last time I flew Delta, doubt if I will again.
Corey,

Believe it or not I will end the year flying ~230,000 miles on Delta THIS YEAR ALONE and approximately 140 different flights/planes in the process...and I have had a very LOW percentage of issues flying Delta...yesterday was just one of those days!...BTW we'll be pulling our camper thru your state next summer on our way to Glacier...going to be traveling on US2 from east to west across the state...coming from Teddy Roosevelt NP (south unit in Medora ND)...any advice for crossing your state on US2???

I've given out my promised Reps to those of you in this thread that have posted up...keep the posting going...!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:15 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Good Morning #9

Good Morning#3

Old 12-10-2010, 07:27 AM
jredline1984
Hotshot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US 2 eh? Lets see, that goes across the highline so just make sure you fuel up in ND before you get into MT if you don't want to pay a slightly higher price for gas, although its not that much higher than the rest of the state. Otherwise just drive and enjoy the scenery, or lack there of until you get to glacier. Eastern MT is generally not as scenic as the rest of the state. There are also a few bigger towns along US2 like Glasgow and Havre so if you need to refuel or grab a bit to eat, those would be the areas to do it.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:36 AM
jredline1984
Hotshot
Off to the office, back in a bit!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Corey,

Thanks for the tips and info...remember I'm driving a V10 w/4.30's pulling a 9000# high wind profile travel trailer...all told I'm rolling at ~17,000#'s combined weight...If you believe the PSD boyz I'll need a fuel truck with umbillical hooked up to my fuel filler as I drive!...but seriously...getting right at 8mpgs and 44 gallons of fuel in the Ex...I typically only push things to about 275 miles on the tank before I refuel...that helps to let my 3 ladies (wife and two daughters) have plenty of stops along the way too!

The towns of Glasgow and Havre look to be nice stopping/resting points too!

When we leave Medora we'll be on 94 for a tad before taking 200S to 13 up to US2...this day will be a LOOOONG day for us pulling from Medora to Glacier I suspect...the map only shows 600 miles (a typical pulling day for us)...but I'm assuming the roadway with all the towns will not be conducive to 65mph the whole way?

Montana is a state we have not been in yet...neither has ND, ID or WA...with this trip this summer and Hawaii in April...we'll add 5 more states to those visited for the girls and it will now total 40 states...they are on their quest for all 50...Alaska is going to be tough...I'm also leaving Oregon hanging out there too...we'll have to fly into Northern CA and do some of the National Parks out there with a detour to Reno to pick up Nevada as well as heading north to Oregon while we are out on that trip in the future...

Thanks again for the insight!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:04 AM
jredline1984
Hotshot
You will be able to do 65 most of the way. There are a few towns you will have to slow down going through, otherwise it shouldn't hinder your progress much. I think you will like MT as they call it Big Sky Country for a reason. I always wanted to go to Alaska at some point as they say it is even more spacious and wild than MT. Hawaii is another one I would love to see. One of my favorite places is Couer D'alene in Idaho, very majestic area, and the lake is enormous.

Sounds to be a fun trip, you should take pics of the trip and post your progress.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:07 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
We are actually planning on spending some time in Couer D'alene when we are in Spokane...it only appears to be about 30 odd miles apart...

Plus up in Athol ID there is supposed to be a water/amusement park we are eyeing up too!

That whole area looks awesome!

We are a family that certainly takes pictures...LOTS of pictures...so I'll share as we go...

Thanks again for the info my friend I truly appreciate it!

Hawaii should be on everyone's bucket list...we finally got there (just the wife and I) in September for 17 nights...all I can say is WOW...we saw Honolulu (a big city) but north shore area is gorgeous, Kauai (a very beautiful green and quiet island) and Maui (our favorite). This spring when we take the girls we'll visit the Big Island (Volcano National Park) and Maui again...

Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 AM
jredline1984
Hotshot
You will not be dissapointed then. The whole area is almost one big metropolitan one. Its nuts going from a two lane highway to six at times, especially being from rural MT.

Silverwood is around twenty minutes north of Couer D'alene and has something for everyone. Seeing as you are planning on going on to Spokane, you should stop at the Hot Rod Cafe in Post Falls for lunch or milkshakes as it is along Interstate 90 leading to Spokane. It is my de facto favorite place to go and enjoy a shake and a burger, plus they have the biggest mozzerella sticks I have ever seen in my life.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:28 AM
nebo
Posting Guru
are we almost there yet, I gotts to potty.............oh, sorry, I feel like I've been traveling for miles after reading these posts.

sounds like lots of fun Joe. on another forum I frequent they have a thread called 'LIVE' which allows a direct posting to a Live thread for pictures. This is awesome when someone is traveling or on vacation and can directly send a pic to a thread. I haven't looked around here to see if there is something like that at FTE. It is really cool though!

....and a good 'late' morning to all.......

Old 12-10-2010, 11:20 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
Dave...I LOVE the color of your truck...don't see many of those around!!
Thanks Joe. I haven't seen another yet. Kinda like it that way.

Have a good weekend boys!

Old 12-10-2010, 03:16 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
You will not be dissapointed then. The whole area is almost one big metropolitan one. Its nuts going from a two lane highway to six at times, especially being from rural MT.

Silverwood is around twenty minutes north of Couer D'alene and has something for everyone. Seeing as you are planning on going on to Spokane, you should stop at the Hot Rod Cafe in Post Falls for lunch or milkshakes as it is along Interstate 90 leading to Spokane. It is my de facto favorite place to go and enjoy a shake and a burger, plus they have the biggest mozzerella sticks I have ever seen in my life.
Corey,

I added Hot Rod Cafe to our stop for lunch before pulling into the KOA just east of Spokane...THANKS again for all the advice!...we are looking forward to seeing this part of the country for sure!

joe.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:54 AM
nebo
Posting Guru
g'mornin' folks! Happy weekend.......a workin' weekend for me.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:11 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Good morning Indiana, gotta hook up the utility trailer and make a coal run.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:55 AM
nebo
Posting Guru
Mornin' Chris, do you have a coal burning stove for your house and other buildings?

Old 12-11-2010, 07:06 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Howdy nebo, I have a wood/coal stove that I use to heat the house, it's much cheaper than the electric heat pump.

So I'm all hooked up and gotta roll, catch you later.

Quick Reply: December 2010 - General Chat Thread