Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51-'52 wiper assembly

Old 11-29-2010, 08:37 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
Ilya,

Thanks for the pics. The 48-50 linkage pics are a little confusing as it makes it looks as if the linkage from the passenger side pivot is connected to the switch. If you look close at the first 48-50 pic, at the base and underneath the wiper pivot you can kinda see the arm coming down where the passenger side linkage is supposed to attach.

Bobby

Old 11-29-2010, 08:45 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
Yes, Bobby, you're right. It was connected that way when I pulled the assembly out of the storage bin. I didn't realize it until I came home and looked at the pictures on my computer.

I'll try to find the assembly tomorrow and take some better pictures.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:06 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
No prob. I'll try to remember my camera tomorrow and see if I can take a pic up under my dash to show the braces

Bobby

Old 11-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
ILYA!

(why do yo make me do it - I feel so guilty)

Dual wipers were standard in 1951!

I'll post the sales brochure data on that. But what I can't find is any reference in the 49 Options Catalogue for dual wipers!

Do any of you guys with the 48-50 Sales Brochures, or 48-50 Salesmans Handbooks have any documentation about dual wipers?

If they were then it would be interesting to see if the 51/52 vacuum linkages were the same as those modified for dual wipers in 48-50. Shoot that might have even been the original question huh?

Name:  51 F-Series Sales Brochure Page 8.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  387.0 KB

Name:  51 F-Series Sales Brochure -Standard Equipment - Copy.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  69.6 KB

Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
Yes, Julie, I thought that the dual wipers were standard in 1951, but wasn't too sure. Thanks for confirming it.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Confusing I know...especially when we start talking about electric on IL6s only and Vacuum Enhanced on the 239s until someone says "hey, I've got a stock 51 with a 239 and electric wipers"???????

Exceptions to all the rules keep life interesting!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:56 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
I swear I've seen dual vacuum wipers on '51/52's with a vacuum motor in the middle.

My '52 V8 has electric wipers, what are you saying about V8's having boosted vacuum wipers, Julie?

Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 AM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
My 1950 F1 6 cylinder had dual vacuum wipers.

My 1952 F1 V8 extra cab has dual electric wipers.

My 1952 Mercury M1 has dual vacuum wipers with the motor on the side.

Both F6's, 51 and 52 6 cylinders had dual electric wipers.

That's all I know.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:00 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
See Ilya,,,,,,, I told ya.

Ok, according to the sales pamphlets for both 51 and 52, dual vacuum wipers were standard on all models.

However, as an option, the 51/52 trucks could have dual electric wipers on the models with IL6s and dual "positive action" enhanced wipers on the V8s/239s.

Oddly the vacuum canister "aid" was also available on the standard vacuum motor models as an option. So there were lots of "standard" configurations.

But as we have seen with other things, all these could be changed out by the dealers on order -so standardization was really a myth.

Here's the 52 Optional Equipment table from the Sales Brochure - since I posted 51 above. Just FYI!

Name:  52 F-Series Sales Extra Options 2.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  558.7 KB

Old 11-30-2010, 07:39 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
My dad's 52 has dual vacuum wipers with the motor in the middle.

My 49 was originally a drivers side only, vacuum set up. The hole for the passenger side pivot was covered with a factory block off plate.

Bobby

Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 AM
coopdagook
Senior User
coopdagook is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 52 IL6 215 Had dual vacuum with the motor in the middle. What's up.with these canisters? Do they help out a lot ?

Old 11-30-2010, 11:52 AM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by coopdagook View Post
What's up.with these canisters? Do they help out a lot ?
I've never used one with vacuum wipers, but I will on the Merc. They became standard fare on cars and trucks later when factory a/c and other accessories became popular, since all the little doors and valves are vacuum operated, and things didn't work too good if they can fluxuate open and closed every time you stepped on or let off the gas. The canister helps to maintain a constant and consistent vacuum.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:39 PM
coopdagook
Senior User
I installed an electric motor but would like to have the original vacuum unit back in if I could find a good working unit. My old motor worked just wasn't strong enuf to pull the blades. Ms. Julies turned me onto LMC truck company that had motors but not for my year model specific. Being 1952. I'm not planing on driving in the rain with this truck and I think the vacuum wippers add to the old original feel of my truck. I just like the idea.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:52 PM
hivolt5.0
Senior User
hivolt5.0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Coopdagook, my buddy with the '50 F1 has an extra vacuum wiper motor. Not sure what he's gonna do with it. Are the vacuum wiper motors the same between a '50 and a '52???

Julies, et.al. - thank you for all of the input. It is amazing how much you learn from this board.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:03 PM
coopdagook
Senior User
I'm not sure yet eather about the diff models. How well does his work? Mine looks good, I took it apart and cleaned and re greased it. But I just can't get it to make any HP. I think the rubber diphrams are just worn out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '51-'52 wiper assembly

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.