Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51-'52 wiper assembly

Old 11-30-2010, 02:07 PM
hivolt5.0
Senior User
hivolt5.0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm not sure how well it works, it's been sitting for awhile.

You know, I read on the HAMB several weeks ago about a guy who rebuilds vacuum wipers. Those that had used his services said he was very good and had a large supply of wiper motors. I'll have to search the HAMB and see if I can find the info.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:15 PM
hivolt5.0
Senior User
hivolt5.0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here's the web link for the guy who restores vacuum wiper motors.

WiperMan.COM - Wipers, Wipers, Wipers

As I said before, several members of the HAMB recommend him.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:14 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by hivolt5.0 View Post
Here's the web link for the guy who restores vacuum wiper motors.

WiperMan.COM - Wipers, Wipers, Wipers

As I said before, several members of the HAMB recommend him.
Yes, I've heard good things about him, but there is nothing to these things! They have a leather seal and as long as the shaft is not wobbly, they usually just need cleaning and a seal. Dennis C and others used to carry the rebuild kits, haven't looked lately.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 PM
rhopper
Posting Guru
rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.
For my 48 F1, which had a single vacuum wiper, we swapped a dual vacuum assy from a 51/52. We did have to cut the under dash braces, and I'm not going to run a radio in the stock spot, so clearance wasn't an issue. We eventually converted it to electric, using a Jeep cherokee electric motor from the same jeep we pulled the steering column from, so the wiring is easy. It looks like a standard GM motor. It is attached to the stock linkage with a short, about 1", home made crank assy. I had to play with the linkage to get the sweep and park correct, but it works fine. With the jeep (GM) column and stalk mounted wiper switch, it has intermitent speed like any other Gm car.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:33 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by rhopper View Post
For my 48 F1, which had a single vacuum wiper, we swapped a dual vacuum assy from a 51/52. ....
I'd appreciate picture, if you've got one. I'm figuring to do something similar. BTW the wiring for a GM is no treat if you don't have the column!!

Old 11-30-2010, 11:46 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
OK, here are a couple of pics under the dash of my 49. These are taken from the passenger side through the glove box opening. You can see how the braces in my truck have been modified by a PO for radio fitment...LOL

Sorry it took me so long to get these up, my modem bit the dirt today and I've been trying to get re-"connected"

Attached Images   
Old 12-01-2010, 12:42 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
Here are the pictures I took today from underneath the instrument panel of my 51. I didn't see any braces like in Bobby's pictures.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:38 PM
rhopper
Posting Guru
rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.rhopper has a good reputation on FTE.
Ross, I'll take some pictures and post them. BTW, my wife and I will be passing through Albuquerque the end of this month, staying overnight on the way to Phoenix. You and Bobby going to be around?
As far as the wiring, I originally went with a junkyard s10 motor, couldn't make sense of the wiring, and went back for the cherokee. The wire colors match the harness from the bottom of the column, and I was able to test the whole thing on the floor before installing. I going to have to make a harness from the column to the motor, but I have the connectors for both ends, and again, the colors match.
Rusty

Old 12-02-2010, 07:48 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
Rusty,

As far as I know I'll be around. If you got time when you're in Alb let me know.
Ross and I live pretty close to one another.

I'm intrested in see a pic of the Cherokee motor set up as well. I'm at the stage of trying to decide what motor to use on my 49.

Bobby

Old 12-02-2010, 09:17 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
I should be around, too! Send an email, we can set it up! There are 3 or 4 others in the area, maybe we can have a get-together.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:44 AM
ibuzzard
Gone But Not Forgotten
ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
May Dan and I jet in and attend this soiree?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:59 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
I'll just be the fly on the wall.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:46 AM
ibuzzard
Gone But Not Forgotten
ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by havi View Post
I'll just be the fly on the wall.
Smart man.Save your money and sanity.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:59 PM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant future
I'll be there in mind and spirit, oh wait, with what is going on in my life right now I'm losing my mind so I might only be able to be there in spirit but that's taking a beating right now too. Well, I'll just think about it then.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:55 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Spirits? did someone say spirits???

...well, maybe a wee drop to quench me parched throat....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '51-'52 wiper assembly

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.