1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Asking for opinions, carb vs EFI, let me have it!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 06:15 PM
black58
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Asking for opinions, carb vs EFI, let me have it!

My neighbor called me today and told me that "the steering arm" in his late 80's to early 90's full size Bronco went bad and that he's gonna scrap it out. He asked me if there was anything on the truck that I would like before he gets rid of it. It has an electronically fuel injected 351W, while my 57 F100 with a 351W is carbed. If you have a second, I'd like to hear your opinion on why you would, or wouldn't, go with the EFI over a carburetor. I understand that I'd have to change the fuel tank, the exhaust, swap in the intake, computer, sensors and wiring for everything. Would I likely see an increase in economy or performance over my edelbrock intake and 600 cfm carb?

Old 11-26-2010, 06:26 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am going EFI with my COE, but using a Lexus V8. Yeah, i know, i know but i like the all alloy quad cam 6 bolt main engine.
So, i feel the biggest single advantage of going EFI is the sheer driveability and responsiveness, not to mention fuel economy.
The down side of course is the complexity, but it really isnt too bad after some research and getting your head around it all.
My opinion only of course, but i would say go EFI.

John

Old 11-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Cooter55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFI hands down. Can be tuned for as good or better performance, better economy, once dialed in doesn't have to be adjusted and it starts without issues. I'm putting a port injected Corvette motor in my truck. You may want to get his motor because cams can be an issue for best fuel injection performance.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:53 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Most likely you'd definitely see an increase in economy and certainly drivability, but the question to that end is if the expense to do the change be worth it for the gains you'd receive? You can put a lot of gas through a carburetor for the price of an EFI swap. Granted, you're getting a great deal on some of the parts if your neighbor is donating them, but there's still significant labor involved and, as I'm sure you know, any change can ultimately cost more than one would originally think.

The next thing to find out is if it is a speed density system or mass air flow system? I believe trucks were s/d, where cars (after 1988) had the maf setup. Speed density works great, but it doesn't lend itself well to alterations from the stock settings. Don't plan on using anything but the stock camshaft, and the locations of the sensors and wiring lengths can be critical, as well. MAF is a lot more user-friendly from that standpoint.

You may not need to change the gas tank, but you will need to run a return fuel line back to the tank from the engine and add a high pressure f/i fuel pump inline.

Sorting through the spaghetti plate of wiring can be a head scratcher. You might want to look into an aftermarket efi harness that would greatly simplify the swap.

These are just a few of the challenges you'll face. If you're up to it and learning new things, you can be greatly rewarded.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Marty Smilt
Mountain Pass
If the computer is for a mass flow engine I would do the swap. You need the O2 sensors, water temp sensors, all the do dads on the doner truck. What transmission is on the donor? Some of the management modules were adjusted to the transmission / rear gear combo's to achieve gas mileage. I used this book to sort it all out on a previous project.

...Ford Fuel Injection and Electronic Engine Control: How to Understand, Service and Modify, 1988-1993
by Charles O. Probst.

Marty S.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by black58
My neighbor called me today and told me that "the steering arm" in his late 80's to early 90's full size Bronco went bad and that he's gonna scrap it out. He asked me if there was anything on the truck that I would like before he gets rid of it. It has an electronically fuel injected 351W, while my 57 F100 with a 351W is carbed. If you have a second, I'd like to hear your opinion on why you would, or wouldn't, go with the EFI over a carburetor. I understand that I'd have to change the fuel tank, the exhaust, swap in the intake, computer, sensors and wiring for everything. Would I likely see an increase in economy or performance over my edelbrock intake and 600 cfm carb?
I would grab the motor and all the electronics even if to let it sit under the work bench for a while. Later on you have the option to play with it in your truck.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:23 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I personally prefer the simplicity of a carb.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I prefer EFI when it's all said and done, but it's a lot more work to get there. I'm planning a EFI 351w in my truck.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:52 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen67
I prefer EFI when it's all said and done, but it's a lot more work to get there. I'm planning a EFI 351w in my truck.

EFI is more of a pain to set up and more of a pain when it screws up. I'll stick with carbs. If I want it more complicated I'll just add another carb or two.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:24 PM
black58
Elder User
Originally Posted by fordman75
EFI is more of a pain to set up and more of a pain when it screws up. I'll stick with carbs. If I want it more complicated I'll just add another carb or two.
I'm going to school for Electronic Engineering Technology, so the wiring and the circuitry don't scare me. The cam that's in my truck is healthier than stock (so I was told), but was in the engine from the previous owner when I swapped it in from another truck, so I really don't know much more about it. I sure don't want to get into pulling the entire engine. With school, work, and two kids under five, my biggest need is more spare time. I've been giving it a lot of thought tonight, and I think I'm just going to pass on the offer. I just don't have that much time to get everything I need before he wants to get rid of it. I can see it quickly becoming more hassle than it's worth. Though I may pull the power steering pump and bracket off for my Toyota steering box conversion.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:35 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
In this discussion we seem to agree that EFI is better on drivability and fuel milage. We also agree that a carb is much cheaper and most importantly it is SIMPLER. So what to do? Well I plan on going EFI with my truck down the road and I did a little research. Seems the easiest and simplest is a Throttle body EFI on a carb manifold. Until recently that meant a bunch of wires and a computer box and don't forget the laptop. Now there is a cool product and one I am going to buy and it is Professional Products new EFI.

Here's the deal, you bolt it in the same place as the holley and even use the same linkage. Then you have 6 [yes only 6] wires to hookup and the hard part is basically done. You have a choice between return and non return fuel systems. Remember all the parts needed for the installation except hoses and they have a kit for that too are included. The computer is miniturized on side of the throttle bottle. They have a view screen where you answer a few questions and then you go drive your truck while the computer learns your way of driving. Pretty slick !!! Runs from about $1500 to almost $2000 depending on extras and such. I think it is a good alternative to the high dollar complex laptop needed EFI. Remember this will handle over at least 550hp. How many of us have that much power? Just something to think about.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:47 PM
black58
Elder User
hellfirejim, that sounds pretty good, I may have to look into that in the future. I see you're "50 miles west of Chicago", I'm in Rockford. Good to see someone so close.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:02 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
I'd vote for EFI for another reason; modern gas with alcohol.

Unless you put in a system with O2 feedback, you aren't likely to see any performance or mileage improvement. I snagged the TBI from a Chev 4.3 to adapt to my flathead "someday", got it in trade and it includes everything from the fuel pump to the O2's. Speed density system. Another thing is you only want an OBD-I system, late '80's Ford would be.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:35 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm going to be the descenting voter here.

Why would anybody in the world want to buy a truck like we have - simple, strong, elementary and maintainable and inflict the horrors of the modern day technology on it?

If you want that crap then buy a new truck! One of the glories I have found with the basic 50s truck is it's simplicity and maintainabilty.

You can have another one of those philisophical debates about theoretical minutia on mileage, the science of gas/alcohol percentage, garbage garbage garbage. But ya know what? If you want an old cool engine driven, manual choke, double clutching, real truck, then drive it stock or put an engine in it that is more mechanical than scientific!

With EFI you MAY see an increase in mileage. But you will definately see an increase in complexity, maintenance and interface problems, electrical confusion and supply probelms - possible vibration problems (on the units themselves)\.

KISS!

Old 11-27-2010, 03:05 AM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And some of us like that sort challenge, its something that goes back to the very roots of hot rodding. changing a car or truck to your own particular taste and vision. Some of us do embrace the newer technology, yet still love the charm of the old styling.
I personally really enjoy the building, fabricating and whole experience of trying to see what i can achieve. But hey, thats just me.

John

Quick Reply: Asking for opinions, carb vs EFI, let me have it!