1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Project Steel Dreams 1950 F2 build

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:52 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
glad to hear your heading the right path.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:24 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As promised, here is the latest. I went up to the shop fairly early this am because I had a lot to do. First thing was to jack up the truck and take the front wheels off. They went into the back of my truck to go get the new rims mounted this next week. A bit of good luck, I found a set of mag shank lug nuts and washers and they fit perfectly. I know the thread is ok because they came off my truck with the original tires. Just have to buy new washers as these are chewed up and for the little money it is worth it.

Next was figuring out how to mount the new cooler which looks like this.
Name:  cooler4-9-11003.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  53.8 KB

After a fair amount of time trying to get this to fit and work I finally came up with a way to mount the cooler directly in front of the radiator fan. So if it is hot enough the fan will pull air past it. So I made some brackets which is a lot easier to say than do.

Name:  cooler4-9-11009.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  80.4 KB

Not fancy but effective. BTW: I should have saved and taken a picture of the collection of electrical tape, wire and string that was used to hold up the trans lines.
I will finish this install when I go back up as the brackets were still not dry from the painting.

I also installed the electric speedo signal generator. Pretty neat deal.

Name:  cooler4-9-11011.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  75.6 KB

For whatever the reason this has been a long and difficult day. Everything just took it to the max. Oh well you have got to expect these things to happen. Next time will be better as I should be taking the new tires and rims up with me to mount on the truck. And that means PICTURES !!!

jim

Old 04-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Keep em rocking... We love pics!

Old 04-10-2011, 02:55 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Well it was in the low 80s today and I couldn't resist going up to the shop where the truck is. I added a couple of coats of paint to the mounting brackets and some on the frame rails under the cab. Flat black anti-rust paint.

However the best part was this.
Name:  F-24-9-11004.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  48.9 KB

Small but important to me. Now I get to answer the "What is an F2 ?' questions.

jim

Old 04-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by hellfirejim
Well it was in the low 80s today and I couldn't resist going up to the shop where the truck is. I added a couple of coats of paint to the mounting brackets and some on the frame rails under the cab. Flat black anti-rust paint.

However the best part was this.

Small but important to me. Now I get to answer the "What is an F2 ?' questions.

jim
Hey Jim what the tape on the door for? Are you doing the shop truck label already?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:55 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
You know for a trucker you are pretty sharp... That is exactly what we were working on. Had to figure out the right size and placement while still remembering it could have been painted in 1950. Of course the original design got changed around so I have to re-make it. The hardest part is getting a stick on stencil made. Hell I don't even know what it costs but I will.

jim

Old 04-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Cool let us know what you come up with... What have you thought about the back? Flatbed or a stepside bed? what is you wheel base? Keep on trucking....

Old 04-11-2011, 05:48 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Moe,

Yeah I have thought about it but it will be a while before I get to it. Let's just say it may be neither.

I don't know the exact wheelbase but the chassis is an ext-cab 86 S-10.

jim

Old 04-11-2011, 06:01 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Jim,
I say a mini stake bed just for shhts and giggles and little tiny stakes it be cool.
Last night I saw this late dodge ram extra crew cab with a tiny stake bed.It was the funniest thing ever.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:57 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Some how I don't think a stake bed will go with the ideas in my head. Interesting though....

jim

Old 04-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Cody_1948
Tuned
Great looking truck :-)

Old 04-12-2011, 05:19 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Thank you I appreciate it. BUT stay tuned as the next time it sees the light of day it will look a little different. Better I hope but definately different.
jim

Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Hi.

You just know when you are having a good day, it just feels really good. Today I had that kind of day. It started with my ability to be able to get up to meet the day. Today I hit the magic number, 65. That means I am offically old.

Well here is what the old guy did today. The first thing I did was assemble the mounting brackets and the cooler. TWICE Yeah well I knew eventually I would get it right.

I got the cooler installed so here is a picture to give you an idea of how and where it fits. I set it that way so when the fan kicks on it will also pull air over the trans cooler. Well that is the plan.

Name:  Frontend4-16-11001.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  75.0 KB

Once I cleared out the mess the po had left I cut down the tubes so they were close to the same length. By doing that I was able to support the hoses so they didn't rub on anything.

More pictures here:

Shop Pictures pictures by hellfirejim - Photobucket

As good as that felt the next part was even neater. I got to mount the tires and the new front rims. I let it down on the ground and just looked at it. Then I smiled.... I like it!!!

Name:  Frontend4-16-11005.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  41.2 KB

I picked this picture for a reason. Look at the front of the truck at the bottom of the valence and that my friends is a 2 x 4 on it's side and there is still some room left. Not much Only sheet metal down there and nothing to hurt.

Beyond the fact that I think it just looks cool, it is now drivable. I will be able to drive it in a relaxed mode because I don't have to worry about hitting the front end. All I did was change the tire situation and it all fell into place. It is good to be lucky.

Here is a link to the rest of the pictures.

Shop Pictures pictures by hellfirejim - Photobucket

jim

Old 04-16-2011, 05:16 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Couldn't stand it, here is a picture of how the new wheels look.

Name:  Frontend4-16-11007.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  39.3 KB

Ok just wanted share as it is exactly what I was looking for.

Just to let you know I couldn't take a whole truck picture due to all the work in the shop. That is why I need to finish and get home with the truck.

jim

Old 04-16-2011, 05:49 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Jim, I love your truck, its got the character I love. Your puttin all the love and hard work into it to make it something special KEEP ON TRUCKING (JIMMY)

Quick Reply: Project Steel Dreams 1950 F2 build