1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Project Steel Dreams 1950 F2 build

Old 11-13-2010, 05:16 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project Steel Dreams 1950 F2 build

Hi all and welcome to my dreams. This project gets its name from the fact that I have always wanted a Hot Rod and being a truck guy, this is a perfect fit. I have had race cars, very fast street cars, custom cars and yes even beaters but this is my first hot Rod. I think that the thing most noticed is it's atitude.

History, i recently purchased it from a guy in down state illinois who needed to get a 50/60s staion wagon going for family reasons. It is titled as a 1950 Ford F2. but it is resting on a totally stock 1986 S-10 which has had a V8 / turbo 350 swap. Stock motor except for 4 brl and swap headers. Still with no weight it is easy to get into trouble and quickly. got to pay attention. I guess that is also why it is so much fun to drive.

Make no mistake this has lots of "edges". A ton of holes that need to be filled. He just has done enough to get it going and it is a driver even in its state. Order of business is mounting battery on firewall [currently on pass floor], fix the wiring to include electronic turn signals and a 4 position headlight switch which is 1 out-park, 2 out - headlites, 3 out - high beams. yes No other dimmer switch needed and lastly replace the floor shifter to one from locar.

i just moved it from my house to my buddys body shop for the winter. I will work at it there. Warm, roomy and help if i need it.

This is going to be my slow but sure build thread if that is cool.

here is a picture of the truck and a link to other pictures if anyone is interested.

Name:  Arrivedhome10-19-2010003.jpg
Views: 1975
Size:  45.3 KB

here is the link for some other if you are interested:

50 ford pickup pictures by hellfirejim - Photobucket

comments welcome, everyone is intitled to their thoughts. of course i might not agree.....
jim

Old 11-13-2010, 06:21 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,108 Likes on 2,642 Posts
At the present rake you'll have no problem plowing snow,lol. Looks like a cool project and your lucky enough that there is a lot of darksiders on here to appreciate it. Keep us posted and welcome to the site.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:16 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Thanks for the welcome. it came to me with tiny 14 tires front and 33 tall rears which help make it look super rake which it is. I plan on 15s front at about 27 inches and 16s 10-12 wide and 29 tall on the rear. should help it some. Also the body was mounted at an down angle so there is that to consider. All you need for clearence is 4 to 6 inches with being closer to 6 the better. The down rake of the body has created other problems but all in good time. I have to start with mounting the battery and then start fixing the wiring for now. Eventually I will ge a completely new wiring harness for it but that will be after the A/C.Which is after the body work which is after the dash. well you get the picture.

I like to look at it as a chance to make it mine.

I hope all the darksiders and others drop by and say hi.
jim

Old 11-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi,....welcome. Have fun with it. We almost know everything here so feel free to pick our brains.

Cool looking truck.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:45 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
hi i am what they call a dark sider(not by choice)but i bought my 2nd project about a month ago..1951 f1....i love it. but the po changed a bunch of things...its got a volari front end and a crazy a$$ c notch in the back he was about to put air bags in the back but sold it to me bfor tat...he had almost the same set up like yours...huge steam roller tires in the back and some little ones in the front..350/350 tranny...but at least the body is almost 100% rust free...we r together on this one..

Old 11-14-2010, 12:46 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

by the way i love the stance it looks killer

Old 11-14-2010, 07:42 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
hi i am what they call a dark sider(not by choice)but i bought my 2nd project about a month ago..1951 f1....i love it. but the po changed a bunch of things...its got a volari front end and a crazy a$$ c notch in the back he was about to put air bags in the back but sold it to me bfor tat...he had almost the same set up like yours...huge steam roller tires in the back and some little ones in the front..350/350 tranny...but at least the body is almost 100% rust free...we r together on this one..
I don't know where that name came from but whatever. i don't have much rust either though not a rust free cab by any means. my biggest challenage is all the holes that need to be filled. Very little in the way of body dents and such.

If you want to learn about your truck in a hurry, drive it in the rain. I know I needed to fix the electrics but now i realize i have to move up to the front of the list is my windshield glass and rubber replacement and the rear window glass and rubber replacement. You can't get electrics wet.

The back window is not to bad cost wise but the windshield has shipping that costs as much and more than the actual windshield. I have a couple more catalouges coming in so i will check them out.

it is always something. just part of the deal.
jim

Old 11-14-2010, 07:44 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
by the way i love the stance it looks killer
Thanks but I do have to moderate the front drop some to make it reasonably drivable. As I said before I will have taller front tires and shorter rear tires. If neccessary i will trim the lower front panels to get the clearance I need. The clearance is pure sheet metal in nature.

jim

Old 11-14-2010, 08:24 AM
48fordcoe
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
all the glass can be cut at a local glass place , the shop I use here you can get all the glass for all the window for $175 so check around before shipping glass...

Old 11-14-2010, 12:33 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
thanks i will give it a try.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:52 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

rain sux

my biggest challenage is all the holes that need to be filled. Very little in the way of body dents and such.

If you want to learn about your truck in a hurry, drive it in the rain. I know I needed to fix the electrics but now i realize i have to move up to the front of the list is my windshield glass and rubber replacement and the rear window glass and rubber replacement. You can't get electrics wet.

yeah my front windshield rubber is dried bad but i got a replacement
,the po drilled a bunch of holes everywhere so i might just silicon the crap outta them,,,,and with the volary front end and 14 inch tires that are real small i hit the crossmember everytime i hit a bumb....but i looooooove the stance i have...i just got bigger tires today so

Old 11-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
So despite the obvious rake, what kind of power plant are you running? Rear end?

How as the front dropped? Brakes???

Waht else with the truck???????

Welcome as well!

Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 AM
FORD14TPU
Senior User
Darkside = usually means the "GASP" chevy 350/350 swap .. camaro front sub frame grafted on ,,and man have a seen some .. call them inventive splices .. amazing what can be done with all them used bed frames you've been stockpiling ..all kidding aside welcome and have fun with it ..at least it's a driver so you don't have to wait to enjoy it a bed out back would make it a little more driver friendly .. thats gotta be a handfull on a wet street ..

Old 11-15-2010, 02:32 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Darkside actually means anything outside of available OEM rebuild.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:36 AM
FORD14TPU
Senior User
atleast keep it all FORD ...if you wanted a chevy .. why didn;t you just buy one ??...ohh damm does that make my 55 F250 a darksider with it's 75 axels and T case kit ?? please tell me it's not true ..it's all still stone orig down to the end of the trans ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project Steel Dreams 1950 F2 build