1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Project Steel Dreams 1950 F2 build

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Sweet....

Where are you planning on putting the trans cooler? Just don't do like my trucks PO and use the plastic push threw the fins connectors... He used them on the Trany cooler and electric fan.... Trash... Once we used a motorcycle cooler on a trans because of size restriction....

Old 04-04-2011, 07:52 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
Sweet....

Where are you planning on putting the trans cooler? Just don't do like my trucks PO and use the plastic push threw the fins connectors... He used them on the Trany cooler and electric fan.... Trash... Once we used a motorcycle cooler on a trans because of size restriction....
No I am not putting it on the radiator. To the drivers side of the radiator there is a vertical slot that would hold the trans cooler very well. These trucks don't load these trans at all and really produce very little heat so i don't need a giant cooler. Something about 18 x 2 x 2 that is a 2 pass would work very well. I hadn't thought about a motorcycle cooler but that is a good idea. i think right now I am frustrated because that cooler would have been perfect. Oh well just got to keep going forward.

jim

Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Perma cool is still in business. I found this (closest to your measurements) at Summit Racing:

Perma-Cool 6318 - Perma-Cool Heavy Duty Transmission Coolers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Old 04-05-2011, 05:43 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Originally Posted by BACAGrizz
Perma cool is still in business. I found this (closest to your measurements) at Summit Racing:

Perma-Cool 6318 - Perma-Cool Heavy Duty Transmission Coolers - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Thanks Grizz. I saw that but at $111 I want dinner too....

My old racing buddy sent me this and this is probably what I will get.

Derale 13220 Derale Frame Rail Mount Transmission Coolers

I will mount it up front in the air flow and not down on the frame. Should work fine.

jim

Last edited by hellfirejim; 04-05-2011 at 05:44 AM. Reason: more thoughts.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:22 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah, Dinner is a good thing. That one looks like a good deal.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:01 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
A couple of new things.
First I decided to go ahead and get the cooler I linked to above. It should be here thursday and I will install it on Saturday. That is the last of the absolute must haves that would keep me from driving the truck. Of course there is a small list of things I want but you know how that is.

Secondly, the very good news. My friend called and I went down and looked at the pair of 14" slots for the front of the truck. They are now mine for $100. Will be heading back and paying for them on Saturday and then while I am up at the shop I will pickup the tires that go on the truck. This makes me happy.

Interestingly these wheels were on an S-10 so we know they fit. Speaking of S-10, he has a V8 S-10 that he is looking at putting on a 53/54 other brand truck body on it. Yeah I know it is the other brand but it is another old truck saved from the crusher and enjoyed.

Ok it appears to be moving in the right direction, life is good.

jim

Old 04-05-2011, 05:44 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Great news.
Matching wheels!!!!!!!!!
you could add that lower valance now???the one from the 54 with the 2 holes in front?????
Great progress!!!!

Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Congrads on the wheels and the progress your making on the truck.... Remember to take pics got to be getting close to on the road...

Old 04-05-2011, 06:26 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Seth,
I don't know about that front valance but it will be getting some driving lights sometime in the future.

Moe, after next week it should be able to drive. My goal is have it out of the shop and home no later than the end of the month. Still waiting on my refund check so i can get my windshield, back glass, shifter, dash insert and speedo.
Not a big list but things I really need done before i can really enjoy it without concern.

Just remembered that they were talking about stripping out a 94 STS caddy from which I am supposed to get the full power, heated seats and the 3 point seat belts. When in the hell will I find time to get that installed???? And of course I have to redo the steering to make it more comfortable to drive.

ok I'm done.
jim

Old 04-05-2011, 06:53 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
When in the hell will I find time to get that installed???? And of course I have to redo the steering to make it more comfortable to drive.

ok I'm done.
Welcome to the wonderful world of old trucks. Your not done, your only just beginning!!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:24 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User

Ok I am pissed. I ordered the trans cooler on tuesday and I was suppossed to get it today. I waited till about 4:00 and checked on it and it said it had been delivered. Well obviously it hadn't happen. I work from home and was home all day and in particular when it was supposed to be delivered. [1.45pm].
So I call up FEDEX and talk to some lady who proceds to tell me it was delivered and left on the porch. I then tell her I am standing on the porch and there is no package and then I hit her with the I am home all day stuff. It got real quiet and then she said was sending it on to the tracing agent to find out what happened.
I asked how long that would take and she said up to 24 hrs at which point I told her that was not acceptible as that was why I had it delivered on a thursday as I needed it by this weekend. She said that there was nothing else she could do.
What that really means is you don't know who I am and I don't really care if you ever get your package. I will just sit her and say I am sorry when I am not.

This is really unusual because my normal fedex guy has been coming for years. He even covers the packages with plastic when it is raining. Must have been a substitute...

I don't have much time left before I have to vacate my spot at the shop and I am on a tight schedule and this really screws it up big time.

Ok rant over....

I know I am not the first and won't be the last but sometimes.....

jim

Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

That sucks... I would call the place you ordered it from and have them check the address that it was sent to... Was it insured? I would follow up with FedEx tonight so they check with that driver and again tomorrow...

Old 04-08-2011, 05:21 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Moe,
I was told the trace also goes to the truck driver. I was also told that he couldn't be reached and that he would hear about it in the morning. Right now I have done all I can until I hear from the trascing agent.

Yes it does suck.

jim

Old 04-08-2011, 04:34 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Latest up date: BUT first I have to mention, have you looked at the number views??? Over 5000 views. I am humbled that other people are interested in my truck and its journey. Thank you....

Ok now on to the FedEx saga. When we last left FedEx I had talked to a lady who acted as if she never heard what i said and left me really pissed off. This morning it was if another company was calling. I got another lady who was a trace agent. She took the time to get all the info and understand my situation in that I needed the part for the weekend. About an hour later A FedEx truck pulls up and there is my package.

That would have been cool enough but about an hour ago I got a call from the distribution center manager checking to see if I got my package. During our conversation he told me that the trace agent had sent him a very detailed e-mail explaining the situation.

Just when I think customer service is dead, they go and pull something like this...

So tomorrow we are going to be back on schedule and I plan to install the trans cooler and also the speedo generator on my turbo 350 trans.
Yes the camera is going also.

jim

Old 04-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by hellfirejim
Latest up date: BUT first I have to mention, have you looked at the number views??? Over 5000 views. I am humbled that other people are interested in my truck and its journey. Thank you....

Ok now on to the FedEx saga. When we last left FedEx I had talked to a lady who acted as if she never heard what i said and left me really pissed off. This morning it was if another company was calling. I got another lady who was a trace agent. She took the time to get all the info and understand my situation in that I needed the part for the weekend. About an hour later A FedEx truck pulls up and there is my package.

That would have been cool enough but about an hour ago I got a call from the distribution center manager checking to see if I got my package. During our conversation he told me that the trace agent had sent him a very detailed e-mail explaining the situation.

Just when I thing customer service is dead, they go and pull something like this...

So tomorrow we are going to be back on schedule and I plan to install the trans cooler and also the speedo generator on my turbo 350 trans.
Yes the camera is going also.

jim
Jim, Glad to hear it all worked out...

Quick Reply: Project Steel Dreams 1950 F2 build