6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-03-2014, 08:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Cristina
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear end bounces @ 40-45 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by MX727
Right, but does the factory prep tie the the frame rails together? I've never seen the underside of the factory prep hitch.
Yes it does. One big center plate like the B&W and two side plates. I'm know this isn't what everyone is talking about, but the only thing I'm still feeling is a bouncing when declerating with tow haul on, not using the brakes, just engine/trans braking, but this happens at almost any speed on decel. 7k of trailer with 2300 on the pin, airbags did not have any effect on this.

The ride over rough roads with the trailer got way better with the airbags installed.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:35 PM
MX727
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for that. I was hoping that bracing the frame might help.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 AM
saratoga2011
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
I have a 13 gasser F250 CC SB Lariat doing the same thing. PM sent to FordService.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:19 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
my truck has a terrible bounce on concrete freeways, its starts at about 65 mph and tends to go away past 75 mph. I have tried changing to rancho shocks with no change. truck is an f250 long bed crew cab but does have the 4" f350 rear blocks. its so bad you can barely talk on the cell phone going 70 mph down the freeway, which just so happens to be the speed you want to drive when the limit is 65. problem goes away pretty much when I hook up my trailer thats got about 700# of ball weight. its a horrible issue and is really causing me a great deal of dissatisfaction with my truck. is this the same problems everyone else is having??

Old 09-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Cummins Cowboy,

That isn't exactly what issue I have when I started this thread. My rear end bounce happens no matter what type of road, it happens almost "automaticly" at exactly 40 mph and stops at exactly 45, same thing in reverse if slowing down, starts at 45 and stops at 40. If you mantain anywhere between 40-45, it will bounce the entire tme. Guess what the speed limit is on half of my 28 mile drive to work.... 45.

I think I have read before that your issue is solved with the removal of rancho shocks.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:43 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
my truck has a terrible bounce on concrete freeways, its starts at about 65 mph and tends to go away past 75 mph. I have tried changing to rancho shocks with no change. truck is an f250 long bed crew cab but does have the 4" f350 rear blocks. its so bad you can barely talk on the cell phone going 70 mph down the freeway, which just so happens to be the speed you want to drive when the limit is 65. problem goes away pretty much when I hook up my trailer thats got about 700# of ball weight. its a horrible issue and is really causing me a great deal of dissatisfaction with my truck. is this the same problems everyone else is having??
Mine sounds like yours.. airing my tires to 75/75 completely eliminated the bounce. (my dually says 75/60 is normal).

Old 09-26-2013, 11:54 PM
Chris Stewart
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Well the shop did get a new truck from the dealership. They were going to swap wheels, but for some reason decided to re-balance my tires again. They called and said it's fixed, come and get it. Well I'm pretty skeptical and after driving I told them it's improved but still there. A tech went for a ride and said that feels like frame bounce. I said yes I agree, and he says there's no good way to fix it. That seems to be the consensus here. So Crystal is there more you plan to do?
Well my efforts pretty much stalled out. Almost 2 months after having a diagnosis, or lack of diagnosis, the dealership has not followed up with me. I called and was told they're waiting for feedback from the service manager. I'm afraid it doesn't look very promising.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by saratoga2011
I have a 13 gasser F250 CC SB Lariat doing the same thing. PM sent to FordService.
Hi saratoga2011,

Check out your inbox for my reply.

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
my truck has a terrible bounce on concrete freeways, its starts at about 65 mph and tends to go away past 75 mph...
Send me a PM with your info, cummins cowboy; I'd like to research some options to help.

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Well my efforts pretty much stalled out. Almost 2 months after having a diagnosis, or lack of diagnosis, the dealership has not followed up with me...
Hi Chris Stewart,

PM me your current mileage; I'll arrange for a follow-up call from your regional customer service manager.

Crystal

Old 09-29-2013, 07:10 PM
sc17842
New User
Originally Posted by Thom12
Cummins Cowboy,

That isn't exactly what issue I have when I started this thread. My rear end bounce happens no matter what type of road, it happens almost "automaticly" at exactly 40 mph and stops at exactly 45, same thing in reverse if slowing down, starts at 45 and stops at 40. If you mantain anywhere between 40-45, it will bounce the entire tme. Guess what the speed limit is on half of my 28 mile drive to work.... 45.

I think I have read before that your issue is solved with the removal of rancho shocks.
Thom12- I am with you. My issue is identical to yours.

Been a bit since last check in. Following has been done:
Tires road force balanced on numerous occasions
Tires replaced numerous times
Vehicle aligned numerous times
Tires rotated numerous times
In addition to the bounce, my Michelin tires are wearing out very quickly.
At about 6,000 miles now.... 6,000

Old 09-30-2013, 11:44 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sc17842
...Been a bit since last check in. Following has been done:
Tires road force balanced on numerous occasions
Tires replaced numerous times
Vehicle aligned numerous times
Tires rotated numerous times
In addition to the bounce, my Michelin tires are wearing out very quickly...
Hi sc17842,

I want to arrange for a follow-up call from your regional customer service manager. PM me your current mileage and verify your best daytime phone number.

Thanks!

Crystal

Old 09-30-2013, 05:07 PM
jetskier
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2000 has this 42-46mph vibration. My 2013 has the same vibration at the same speed. Both are F350 CC LB 4x4s. 2000 has 3.73 & 2013 has 3.55s.

The only thing that helped was greasing the slip yoke on the driveshaft on my 2000. I personally think the vibration is from the section of shaft to the rear of the carrier bearing to the next u-joint. There's just too much slop in the slip joint. The 42-45mph is likely the first harmonic. It seems to come back around 72-75mph (maybe the second harmonic).

I haven't been to the dealership because my brother works there and said they really don't know what to do to fix. Not very encouraging, but they haven't redesigned the shaft assembly either.

I think it's the driveshaft design. I may pull the rear shaft and do a front wheel drive test and see if the vibration goes away.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:08 PM
sc17842
New User
Jetskier,
It would be very very interesting if you did do the front wheel drive test. I did that with an old cj that I had. I don't have the facilities to do that right now, but wish I did. I have a feeling that its in the shaft as well. On the underside, there does seem to be much play in that bearing. I can see that a harmonic could be perpetuated.
Keep us posted if you do try that. It would be nice to find out what is causing it even if it didn't fix it.

Originally Posted by jetskier
My 2000 has this 42-46mph vibration. My 2013 has the same vibration at the same speed. Both are F350 CC LB 4x4s. 2000 has 3.73 & 2013 has 3.55s.

The only thing that helped was greasing the slip yoke on the driveshaft on my 2000. I personally think the vibration is from the section of shaft to the rear of the carrier bearing to the next u-joint. There's just too much slop in the slip joint. The 42-45mph is likely the first harmonic. It seems to come back around 72-75mph (maybe the second harmonic).

I haven't been to the dealership because my brother works there and said they really don't know what to do to fix. Not very encouraging, but they haven't redesigned the shaft assembly either.

I think it's the driveshaft design. I may pull the rear shaft and do a front wheel drive test and see if the vibration goes away.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:19 PM
jetskier
Mountain Pass
My bearing is like that too. Seems sloppy to me.

The other issue I have is the loaded/towing take-off shudder under 15mph.

Everything points to the driveshaft. I may just take it in and start a ticket at the dealer.

I just pulled a HVBOM (Historical Vehicle Bill of Material) on my 2013 and it came with the BC3Z-4R602-ML driveshaft. Not the -MP version people seem to be getting as a replacement that fixes the shudder.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Thom12
Senior User
Originally Posted by jetskier
I just pulled a HVBOM (Historical Vehicle Bill of Material) on my 2013 and it came with the BC3Z-4R602-ML driveshaft. Not the -MP version people seem to be getting as a replacement that fixes the shudder.
That is the first fix I have heard about for this.... are you talking about fixing the take off shudder or the rear end bounce?

How did you get a copy of the HVBOM?

Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 AM
jetskier
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Thom12
That is the first fix I have heard about for this.... are you talking about fixing the take off shudder or the rear end bounce?

How did you get a copy of the HVBOM?
This is what I heard from reading other forums for the shudder. Not the 42-45 bounce. I can't say it will be the cure all. I know it's not the tires as I went through this with my 2000.

My brother works at the dealer. That's how I got the HVBOM.

Quick Reply: Rear end bounces @ 40-45 MPH