6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-03-2014, 08:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Cristina
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear end bounces @ 40-45 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Silver Lining Farm
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, how about that! I'm on my way to being official. Just a few more days on restriction.

Diane

Old 07-25-2013, 11:44 PM
Chris Stewart
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Well I finally brought mine in for service today, as recommended by Crystal. The dealership provided a loaner car and we're waiting to hear something. I'll post up the results.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:59 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Well I finally brought mine in for service today, as recommended by Crystal. The dealership provided a loaner car and we're waiting to hear something. I'll post up the results.
Thanks for the update, Chris! Let me know when you hear back from your service manager.

Crystal

Old 07-26-2013, 12:28 PM
sc17842
New User
Good afternoon Crystal,
A a follow up to your response, I appreciate you looking into these issues. I too am not able to send out a pm due to my new-ness, but as soon as I reach that point I will. Also if you would like to know more I can be reached via email which I don't mind providing. Site user name at aol.com.

Quick recap for all:
Experienced horrible rear end shake in conjunction with very chopped and cupped rear tires at 2000 miles.

Tires rotated and driven for 500 miles no change.

Tires replaced. Rear hop lessened but still there. after driving an additional 2200 miles rear tires are worn again, cupped chopped, and rear end hop is back

Took truck in as discussed for follow up after driving, and they have no idea whey tires are chopping and wearing so badly. Dealership is going to speak with regional service rep at ford on Monday to discuss placing different brand tire on truck.

Like others have mentioned, I too love the truck, but certainly can't afford to loose my truck so that the tires can be replaced every 2000 miles. I explained to the ford rep that I have no idea if I have worn tires, that causes a hop, a hop that causes bad rear tires, or if these are two separate issues. As mentioned there is that notice that discusses premature wear of Michelin tires due to torque, and I do all in town driving.... Perhaps the tire is just to soft?? I do not claim to be a mechanic by any means, so that is why I am looking to ford to help correct this. Like many others I don't want to be forced down a lemon law path either. I just want to find a solution, so I can use my truck as intended.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:30 PM
sc17842
New User
Chris just out of curiosity what type of tires do you have? Any odd tire wear with your " hop"

Old 07-26-2013, 12:33 PM
sc17842
New User
Good info, this makes alot of sense to me too. Going by the feel when hop starts, and the conditions loaded/unloaded, it starts in the back. It sounds like a spring mod or shocks are in my future. I'd really like to take the bricks out of the back.

I also hate to spend for a possible solution that doesn't work. I still have the stock FX4 shocks. I figure I can't go wrong with upgraded Rancho 9000, etc anyway. I'm curious if anyone reading this thread has upgraded shocks that still hops at 45mph?
Chris I believe i have the 9000's on my 2013 from factory on my fx4 I will verify tonight

Day late dollar short saw earlier you already swapped with no resolution.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:41 PM
sc17842
New User
Originally Posted by Silver Lining Farm
Dealership desperately wants to put different tires on my truck. Says the stock tires are not good wearing properly at 20,000. My concern is that unless we know what's causing them to go bad, will the new tires wear poorly also.

Heavy sigh,

Diane
I only had 2k on my truck when my first set started getting chopped. The second set has 2.3k on them and they are chopped as stated. Ford's next step (discussion with dealership and rep to occur monday the 29th) is to swap out brand of tires, so I'll keep you in the loop regarding tire wear when that occurs. Thought was to go with BF Goodrich all terrain TA as the dealership has not heard from any customers to date that have that brand on their trucks. As stated before this will help narrow tire wear / bounce relatedness, as we move forward in diagnosis process.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Chris Stewart
Senior User
Originally Posted by sc17842
Chris just out of curiosity what type of tires do you have? Any odd tire wear with your " hop"
It has 325/60R20 Hankook Dynapro ATM's with aftermarket wheels, that came from the dealership. There's no tire wear as a result of hopping, because I don't sustain that speed. When it happens, I either speed up or slow down.

Originally Posted by FordService
Thanks for the update, Chris! Let me know when you hear back from your service manager.

Crystal
Ok I just got the day 1 report from the service advisor. They spent the day checking the tire balance, rotating the wheels, and test driving. They said it seems to follow the wheels from back to front. Pointed out these are not OEM tires (even though they sold it to me with these wheels). Then suggested changing the tires at my expense. I declined and suggested they could swap my wheels with something brand new from the lot, and I bet it still hops. They are going to see if that can be approved, but I am going against the advise of "senior service techs".

They are also tentative because the truck is 1K out of the 36K bumper to bumper warranty (37K miles), but does have ESP Premium care. I told them it's always done this and we noticed 1 week after purchase, but have neglected to bring it in for 2 reasons:

1) We thought it might be normal for a 1 ton truck.
2) After reading this thread, it appears others have tried about everything and nobody has found a fix. Maybe I share responsibility for not bringing it in sooner, but really don't want the frustration others have experienced and reported here with no results. I'd rather just put weight in the back and get over it.

Trying to be patient here, but looking back to the 1st post in this thread, and it's like the same story, different day. (3 years later) Waiting for tomorrow's report...

Old 07-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Chris Stewart
Senior User
Well the dealership did not approve swapping the wheels as a test. The did approve sending it for diagnostics at a 3rd party shop that does custom wheels/tires and truck lifts. They are leaving the service ticket open pending the results. So I'll be going there sometime later next week.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Well the dealership did not approve swapping the wheels as a test. The did approve sending it for diagnostics at a 3rd party shop that does custom wheels/tires and truck lifts. They are leaving the service ticket open pending the results. So I'll be going there sometime later next week.

WOW! That is outstanding, I bet that cost is going to get eaten by the dealership because Ford wouldn't do that for me 3 years ago. Good luck Chris.

SC17842, My dealership put 3 differant sets of tires and wheels on my back when they were still allowed to troubleshoot my bounce.... tires/wheels did not help. Sorry.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sc17842
Good afternoon Crystal,
A a follow up to your response, I appreciate you looking into these issues. I too am not able to send out a pm due to my new-ness, but as soon as I reach that point I will. Also if you would like to know more I can be reached via email which I don't mind providing. Site user name at aol.com...
Hi sc17842,

I don't have the ability to send outbound e-mail, but if you need assistance before you're allowed to send PMs, you can contact our Customer Relationship Center directly at 1-800-392-3673; I know they'll do all they can to assist.

Crystal

Old 07-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Silver Lining Farm
Freshman User
FYI. I have the Michelin LTX A/T2 tires. A friend says they look like I've been driving down the highway with 4 wheel drive engaged. Serious cupping and uneven wear. As I said earlier, this all makes me nervous as I haul cattle and horses on a fairly regular basis. I hate to put new tires on, if they are also going to be damaged, too.

Diane

Old 07-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Silver Lining Farm
Freshman User
I should be able to PM, but I'm not seeing that option, yet.

Diane

Old 07-29-2013, 08:48 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver Lining Farm
I should be able to PM, but I'm not seeing that option, yet.

Diane
I also don't see PM available for you (I can't send you a PM).
Sam

Old 07-29-2013, 09:31 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,437 Likes on 2,300 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I also don't see PM available for you (I can't send you a PM).
Sam
unfortunately, she needs 25 posts before she can PM or be PM'ed. I volunteer the 1 page thread if she just wants to spew out some quick posts to get that going

Quick Reply: Rear end bounces @ 40-45 MPH