HID headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Brad2296
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID headlights

Quick question....I hope this is is the right field to be posting this.

I'm looking to buy some HID's for my 98 explorer. The bulb is a 9007, which is a duel stage bulb, low and high beam all in one bulb. Here is my question. I don't really care if I loose my high beam feature. But, in the case that the bulb and power supply is for a duel stage bulb, does this mean that when I buy a kit, that i HAVE to buy a bi-xenon kit, or a 9007-2 bulb kit?

Old 11-12-2010, 07:54 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
You cannot legally install HID's in that vehicle unless you buy completely NEW housings. The lens you have now with cause you to blind every oncoming vehicle. If the cops don't get you, someone will be turning around to chase you down!

Old 11-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Brad2296
Junior User
Originally Posted by BPofMD
You cannot legally install HID's in that vehicle unless you buy completely NEW housings. The lens you have now with cause you to blind every oncoming vehicle. If the cops don't get you, someone will be turning around to chase you down!
I did buy brand new lead light housings with a projector in it. Thats why I'm wanting to do HID's.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:54 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

As you didn't state that in your original post, there was no way for me to know.
Now- on to your original question...... go to one of the places you are looking at to buy these HID's and see if they offer them in a hi-lo format. I've never heard of them, but they make some crazy things these days! As my sig says, I have a '97 Mark VIII that was build with HID's. My car has separate hi-beams that are NOT HID. Only the low-beam is.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Brad2296
Junior User
Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound like a butt head there....

I know about the Mark's with HID's, my bother has a 97 LSC too. But on the explorer, the 9007 bulb is a duel filament bulb, which makes the low/high beam work, depending on what current is ran through it. They make 2 different types of HID's i've seen that would accommodate the high/low feather. There is a bi-xenon kit which is a single bulb, but it retracts away from a reflective housing and is made brighter....and the other is a 9007-2 bulb. It is a single housing bulb, but it has a HID bulb, and a regular halogen bulb, kinda looks like a H3 bulb. The low beam is the HID, and the halogen is the high beam. I don't really care if I loose the high beam feature....but since the bulb fitting still has power to it in order to make a high beam work, does that mean I HAVE to buy a bulb that is going to accommodate both low/high beams?

I hope I'm making sense.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
why are you putting hid's on? are you stock headlight not good enough? or do you have a night vision problem with your eyes?

Old 11-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Brad2296
Junior User
Originally Posted by b-uno
why are you putting hid's on? are you stock headlight not good enough? or do you have a night vision problem with your eyes?
Um....personal preference.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
im just curious as to why, "personal preference"? so its like the socks you pick out?

Old 11-13-2010, 06:19 PM
BillC
Elder User

In my opinion, personal preference is all he needs. It's his vehicle.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:38 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

In MY opinion after using conventional sealed beam, halogen AND HID's, I'd MUCH rather have the HID's. As long as HID's are aimed correctly, I believe they are the best lighting of the 3. I haven't driven a car yet that has projection lamps yet, so I can not make a judgment there.

I am looking at the new Lincoln MKZ and it has directional projections....I should go test drive it. Just checked the specs on-line. Only the cornering lamps are projectors. Driving lamps are HID's.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Brad2296
Junior User
im just curious as to why, "personal preference"? so its like the socks you pick out?
lol, sorry if I seemed rude, I certainly was not trying to make my comment seem like I was being a d*ck.

Originally Posted by BillC
In my opinion, personal preference is all he needs. It's his vehicle.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by BPofMD
In MY opinion after using conventional sealed beam, halogen AND HID's, I'd MUCH rather have the HID's. As long as HID's are aimed correctly, I believe they are the best lighting of the 3. I haven't driven a car yet that has projection lamps yet, so I can not make a judgment there.

I am looking at the new Lincoln MKZ and it has directional projections....I should go test drive it. Just checked the specs on-line. Only the cornering lamps are projectors. Driving lamps are HID's.

The main reason why I want HID's is for the look, and the amount of lighting you get out of it. Driving at night for me sometimes, I'm always using my brights whenever possible, just for visibility issues. A HID that is in a directional projector is much better anyways rather then a regular reflective housing because like you said, it's being put into ONE direction.

I still can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for, if I HAVE to buy a bulb that is going to retain my factory low/high feature.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
well thats what i was wanting to know was the benefits that you thought were worth upgrading to hid, i never driven or rode in a vehicle with hid so i dont know the benefits, i just have experience with being blinded to oncomming vehicles with them so its only been a one sided negative experience for me so far..

Im interested in learning more about them but dont want to waste a buncha time if its just a fad like the teenagers with the blue lights and coffee can exhaust tips runnning around, I out grew them money wasting fads years ago, actually i never really got into them, but if its worth the money i will upgrade.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Brad2296
Junior User
well thats what i was wanting to know was the benefits that you thought were worth upgrading to hid, i never driven or rode in a vehicle with hid so i dont know the benefits, i just have experience with being blinded to oncomming vehicles with them so its only been a one sided negative experience for me so far..

Im interested in learning more about them but dont want to waste a buncha time if its just a fad like the teenagers with the blue lights and coffee can exhaust tips runnning around, I out grew them money wasting fads years ago, actually i never really got into them, but if its worth the money i will upgrade.
Lol, well I guess I'm young, gonna be 23 on the 24th of this month. But I don't run around with blue lights, and definitely NOT with a coffee can exhaust. I'm not partial to the import scene....instead, I've got enough drama/time/blood/sweat/tears/money in my Thunderbird SC.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
....... i never driven or rode in a vehicle with hid so i dont know the benefits, i just have experience with being blinded to oncomming vehicles with them so its only been a one sided negative experience for me so far..
This is where I am at.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:29 PM
jeremy2008
Senior User
DDM tuning is a great one to get what you want then but the best i have heard about is retro solutions. I run ddm tuning an they work great but make sure you have the bulbs in right so when you flip on the high beams the bulb flips up not to the side like mine lol i will fix it later.

Quick Reply: HID headlights