1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

My Brake are smokin'

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 10:27 AM
Billyboy501
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Brake are smokin'

This morning on the way to school I noticed a burning smell at the stoplight just before the university. I pulled into my parking spot and smelled around... I found the burning smell to be coming from the Drivers side rear tire. I assume its the drum brake the the problem is coming from. THe driving conditions were really icy and snowy so I was using my brakes a lot so keep my speed down. Now, I have never noticed this before. Recently my e-brake was not working b/c it was loose and when I went to tighten it the thing broke, so I jerry rigged my own set-up and that pulled the e-brake lines REALLY tight, as that was the only way they would hold the truck. The same tire that was smoking I noticed after I tightened the e-brake rubs when I drive- you can hear it rubbing a little. Is my problem there?

It can't be because I tightened the e-brake months ago and put a couple thousand on the truck with it rubbing a little. Why would it decide to smoke now? Have I completelt wore out that e-brake shoe or something? The rubbing I am talking about is not huge. You cannot notice it when you drive, its just a little rubbing noise coming from the drum. My problem is the e-brake wont work if the lines aern't pulled as tight as they are.

Remember now, I am only assuming its the brake. Its an F-350 so its pretty heavy duty. I had a HUGE camper on for a while, and the brake never smoked then, and that was really heavy. So I am stumped.

Do I need to just replace both e-brake lines and cables? Or the drum brakes. OR both...As far as I know the truck has never had a brake job done in the rear. It is time for one?

Thanks for the help you brake experts!

Billy

Old 02-27-2003, 12:19 PM
hotrodder49
New User
My Brake are smokin'

When you tightened the e-brake cable the shoes were probably pulled onto the drum. You should replace the shoes, and then get a new e-brake cable. Be careful while hooking up the e-brake cable, those things are under alot of pressure.

Old 02-27-2003, 01:47 PM
F-Econolines
New User
My Brake are smokin'

no slack in the cable is good...a tight cable is trouble...if the cable is tight and the truck rolls fairly easily the brakes are out of adjustment at best..worn and due to be replaced at worst. The E-Brake held tight can let the wheel cyl. over-expand and start to leak. The smoking could be the brake fluid burning off the shoes from the leaking wheel cyl... Consult a manual on brakes and you will see the pivot points and what you are doing to the assembly when keeping that cable to tight...good luck..Al.

Old 02-27-2003, 04:35 PM
79_250RangerLariat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Brake are smokin'

Check your brake fluid and see if it's low. Is there any sign of oil or grease on your rim? Could be either brake fluid or axle oil burning up.

Old 02-28-2003, 10:09 AM
Billyboy501
Freshman User
My Brake are smokin'

The problem I have, is that adjusting device BROKE when I tried to adjust it! SO I had to make my own !!! And what I found out as I was making my own was that the e-brake would NOT hold thr truck on a hill unless the e-brake at rest was reaLLY TIGHT! SO AT REST THE E-BRAKE IS TIGHT - and when I push the petal it gets super tight and holds the truck. Now, is there an adjusting screw at the drum? Or does it sound like the rear drums need servicing. The wierd thing is that today I never noticed it smoking. Its like it does it seraticaly. It's not consistant. Any suggestions???

Old 02-28-2003, 11:18 AM
F-Econolines
New User
My Brake are smokin'

my friend...you are addressing the the issue backwards...the e-brake cable applies your brakes MANUALLY....there is no seperate e-brake shoes etc. The problem is your BRAKE SHOE ADJUSTMENT/OR BADLY WORN brakes that cannot be adjusted. Once you properly adjust (or replace)your brakes the e-brake will no longer need to be so tight. Brakes are adjusted with a brake adusting tool(spoon) thru the access hole in your backing plate. This hole is elongated and often missing the rubber plug that keeps contaninments out . SLACK THE E-BRAKE CABLE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO ADJUST YOUR BRAKES..You really need a manual to follow...some year 350 rears I think the axle must be removed to remove the brake drum...some newer one's are much simpler..Al

Old 02-28-2003, 11:26 AM
F-Econolines
New User
My Brake are smokin'

http://www.automanualtrader.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?

cheap if you can wait ...Al

Old 02-28-2003, 12:26 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,432 Posts
My Brake are smokin'

I have never worked on an F350. But if it's like the F150's, the e-brake cables are famous for locking up from rust. If you tear it down and pull the drums off, I would work the e-brake system and see if it works freely, or is stiff with rust and corrosion.

Old 03-03-2003, 10:30 AM
Billyboy501
Freshman User
My Brake are smokin'

Of the rear brakes needing to be adjusted and the lines being corroded. So I think I will just replace the e-brake kines and cables then just get a brake job done in the rear. That should fix the problem. Agree?

Old 03-03-2003, 02:00 PM
F-Econolines
New User
My Brake are smokin'

that is the total fix...Al