Manitoba / Saskatchewan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fomoko1

My 2008 - cab off repair!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:05 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down My 2008 - cab off repair!

Well my Navistar woes continue with the 6.4. My truck has been losing coolant. It was diagnosed as water pump cavitation and leaking between block and front plate.
I havent researched it at all, and might not bother. Not sure if some filtration or DCA additives are required - I wont accepot a repair job as replacing parts without some corrective / preventitive measures happening.
Truck was reflashed - bit of a mileage improvement. Still not acceptable but we know its the DPF. Will be doing Spartan tuning /delete very soon.
Truck has 70000 kms.... cab coming off!

Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That is not good.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:41 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Why can I see a Chevy or a Dodge for your next truck? haha

Ever consider swapping this one out on a new 6.7?

Old 11-11-2010, 10:51 PM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by preppypyro
Why can I see a Chevy or a Dodge for your next truck? haha

I wont spend that kind of money on a truck unless it was a tax shelter or revenue generator!

Old 11-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
More like have you ever considered swapping this one out for a old reliable 7.3?
Wow that is scary. I'm afraid of buying a newwer Ford diesel for sure never heard of a cab having to come off for a Dodge

Old 11-14-2010, 09:53 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Snowking
More like have you ever considered swapping this one out for a old reliable 7.3?
I make 40000 kms a year so those are too old for me. The interiors are too crude for my tastes - too loud, and lacking creature comforts!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:51 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by LaredoF350
I make 40000 kms a year so those are too old for me. The interiors are too crude for my tastes - too loud, and lacking creature comforts!
I'm definately different that way, give me a truck that doesn't need umpteen thousand dollars of repairs on, repairs that I can do myself without having to take the cab off, a lifespan of 3-4 times as long as MOST newer diesel trucks today (especially other ford's!), and Ill "settle" for my "ancient" heated leather seat's, outdated instrument cluster, and diesel sounding engine haha.

Curious, what creature comforts do an older truck lack for you Warren?

Not that someday I'm not going to want to update my truck as well, but the 99-04 superduty trucks arent THAT much more uncomfortable (wrong term of words, they arent uncomfortable at all!) then a newer one! Just gonna turn up the stereo or dvd player a little louder, turn those "uncomfy" leather seats on, and blast away (slightly slower) knowing that at the end of the day, your cab has never come off the frame, and you have spent a whole lot less in repairs!

Of course thats just the opinion of a guy that wants to buy a new truck, but cant justify it, because in my truck's lifespan, I have spent a total of about maybe 500 bucks in repairs that werent maintenance! Too hard to sell a truck that has 300-400 thousand kilometers of life left in it! I put on about 40,000 a year as well, so it wont take THAT long to wear my truck out!

Might have to "downgrade" it to a farm truck yet, depending how the first few years of these 6.7's are!

Old 11-14-2010, 09:35 PM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
Wow, must of hit a '7.3 nerve' if it garnered a half page essay touting its merits

Sheldon, they were awesome trucks, and continue to be - but just as you like driving yours and I dont question it, why do you feel compelled to challenge my desire to drive a newer vehicle?

Smoother ride(front coils and longer rear leafs), quieter interior, better stereo, more confortable seats, tighter steering(newer), dual climate heater and AC, better sealing doors - less wind noise, nicer gauges, better mirrors. tighter turning radius, WARRANTY -woulod never keep a vehicle long enough to be off of it!!!

For lots of you guys, younger and older, who like working on your own vehicles thats fine. However its not for me any more - I spent way too much of my life fixing farm equipment and semis that I truly have lost interest in working on vehicles. Most of what I get fixed is on warranty, and what isnt is tax deductible...

Old 11-15-2010, 07:32 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
No nerves hit here at all! You and I are usually on the same page, and I just wanted to comment on how I differ, and wanted to see what these creature comforts were to you, and how important they must be in over riding some solid reliable features of the powertrain of an older truck. Ive ridden in newer trucks, and while they do ride nicer and quieter etc. I personally dont find them "world's" different, as in a 99 superduty compared to a 97 superduty.

I guess I have a hard time understanding how someone could deal with a lot more problems that keep his truck down and out of commission (not you in particular, a lot of guys do this) rather then lack some of the comforts you mentioned.

I can understand not fixing up stuff anymore, its not for everyone, all the time.

And I would hope to hell if you thought I was nuts for something I said, or was doing, you would mention it as well!

Also I dont post on here as much anymore as I find that my time is becoming very limited, and I figure I might as well discuss some interesting stuff with someone that likes to debate Hopefully ya dont take offense to that either!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:50 PM
skidooman
Posting Guru
I agree with you Warren, I work as a mechanic all day fixing other peoples stuff. I don't want to come home and have to fix my own stuff!!!

I will just stick to my gasers until I really need a diesel, My old '07 gave me three years of no problems what so ever and so far the '10 has been too, all though it doesen't have very many miles on it yet!!

Old 11-20-2010, 01:32 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by skidooman
I don't want to come home and have to fix my own stuff!!!
I mean I can see a guy not wanting to work on his daily driver, but I guess what my point was trying to get to, is that there are alot of "old" superduties that are in the shop alot less then the new ones! (pre 2011 of course!)

I thought the 6.4's are still considered a decent diesel though, no??

Old 11-20-2010, 02:45 PM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
I thought the 6.4's are still considered a decent diesel though, no??
I think they are alright, with the exception of some early rad issues and poor mileage with the DPF.
There is lots of complexity with the emissions stuff so there will never be the simplicity of a 7.3 or 5.9 diesel!

Old 11-20-2010, 03:11 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by LaredoF350
There is lots of complexity with the emissions stuff so there will never be the simplicity of a 7.3 or 5.9 diesel!
Which is kinda good, kinda bad eh. The 7.3 can never really be made to have the same kind of reliable horsepower that some of these newer diesel can, but they sure are reliable.

With this new engine Im kinda hoping its like a 7.3 for reliability,and fuel mileage, and a 6.4 for power and stuff!

Old 11-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
Which is kinda good, kinda bad eh. The 7.3 can never really be made to have the same kind of reliable horsepower that some of these newer diesel can, but they sure are reliable.

With this new engine Im kinda hoping its like a 7.3 for reliability,and fuel mileage, and a 6.4 for power and stuff!

Horsepower is for Rice rockets, we have Torqrue motherfu***r

Old 11-23-2010, 05:59 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowking
Horsepower is for Rice rockets, we have Torqrue motherfu***r
when I read that post, all I could picture is Ryan with a pilsner in both hands, eyes slightly glazed over, driving one of his old iron tractors...

Quick Reply: My 2008 - cab off repair!