wvo system hookup

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 04:57 PM
naturescape
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wvo system hookup

Hello
I have a 97 f250 ps. Getting ready to do a conversion to wvo. Done a lot of research over 3o hrs, but a little guidance . I have decided to source all my parts out myself. It seems pretty straight forward except the hookup near the fuel filter. I know that you use switchover valves. Do you use the mainaul pump for both diesel and wvo. Or do u put in a separate pump to run wvo only . Some pics and answers where you tied in will help thx in advance

Old 11-10-2010, 08:04 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,141 Posts
You either have to use stock fuel pump for both fuels or delete the mechanical pump and use (2) electric pumps. I prefer the latter (aka Vegistroke design using checkvalves instead of 3way valves), but it is quite abit more expensive to do it that way on an OBS truck...

I'm not intimately familiar with OBS plumbing, so I don't wanna confuse you - but ultimately you are using a 3way valve to select which tank the pump draws from and a 2nd valve to select which tank to return to. I recommend a 3rd valve to select return to VO tank or 'loop' back to the supply valve (suction-side of pump). This allows you to utilize all the heat you've added to VO up to the heads as well as reap the benefits of the heads themselves heating the fuel.

On the subject of HEAT, I strongly recommend using a heated pick-up in the fuel tank and using alum TIH (Tube-In-Hose, aka HIH) fuel lines. Alum tubing is ALOT cheaper than viton-lined hose and lasts ALOT longer. Ya gotta have heater hose anyway and since TIH 'ends' can be made for $6ea, there is no reason not to take advantage of this 'free heat'. A 16plate FPHE added at end of TIH near engine and a 'coolant wrapped' filter will insure adequate VO temps in any weather!! I also strongly recommend an aux coolant pump ($59 - used on MBZ's) to compensate for the low coolant flow at low RPM's - if ya do much 'city' driving.

Post on frybrid forum for more 'guidance', lots of DIY'ers over there to help ya out!

What part of the world are you in?