Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why buy an excursion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Joemz9
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy one for safety! If you drive careful, it is one of the safest things out there! I love my X and it looks like Ford took their time designing these trucks as they seem they will last a very long time! I plan to own mine till I get buried in it.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:01 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by beersy50
We'll these sound great, I'd like to find one. Keep going tho I'm liking all the comments. I was surprised to here 20mpg my small v-6 equinox only gets 24-26 on the highway!
Don't forget...If you want a "new" one there IS a guy out there that takes current-year SuperDuty rigs and converts them to "Excursions".

To be honest, had I seen his site before I bought mine, I may have gone that route. I upgraded from an Expedition 5.4l 4x4 to the V10 Limited 4x4 Excursion...LOVE it!

Old 12-20-2011, 09:50 PM
tjblair
Junior User
I don't understand why everyone says a diesel is more $ to maintain.(so long as we are talking about the 7.3) $30 more per oil change? Big deal. You also dont have to change it as often. The fuel is more, but you get almost twice the fuel mileage with the diesel. Mine has 160 on the clock and sure I just put a new 4r100 in it which wasnt cheap(around $2000)but now the tranny should be good for another 100k.( and you would have probably replaced the gasser transmisson sooner) The other maintenance stuff is not that big a difference from a gasser. Imo. and the maintence interval is much longer on the deisel. To me I wouldn't even look at a gas engine with 100k on it.JMHO. But I would not have any problem about buying a vehicle with a diesel engine with the same mileage

To the OP you will not regret buying an ex. I would suggest finding a 7.3 diesel. Don't even look at the 6.0. They ARE maintenance prone.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:00 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
I'm looking at getting into one hopefully this coming year for a number of reasons. Safety, max towing ability, never have to complain about my Expy being too small again and I want to be able to lift it 4-6" without having to worry about IFS/IRS and have a motor that will take just about anything. Probably will wind up with a V10 super high mileage to start if I want to be able to get an 05 Eddie without paying $25k+ but that is all the more fun for finding a newer wrecked Super Duty to steal a bunch of parts off of and upgrade it to current.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:38 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why buy an excursion? because I have a small d$^*
Actually, wife wants a boat, a small boat for now. I don't know we ever buy a boat but the best thing to tow something is a diesel engine; so I starting looking into diesel vehicles. I like to have the back seats reclined so my two kids can sleep a little more comfortably on long trips. The only two two trucks that has rear seats recline are Dodge Ram and Toyota Tundra. Dodge seats didn't recline much if at all, Tundra only comes in gas engine; that's if I wanted a truck.

Excursion is the only SUV that have diesel engine, so it came down to 7.3 L and 6.0 L. 7.3 L Excursion with less than 150K miles want as much as the 6.0 L with similar miles. Ended up with 04 Eddie Bauer 6.0 L. I had it for less than ten days and put in over $200 worth of diesel fuel. All my others cars and van are much nicer, and have more creature comfort than the Ex has. It suppose to be a toy hauler, and I have been driving it everytime we go out. wife ask why is this thing so noisy, smelly, move so slow, and heavy; can it really tow

Old 12-20-2011, 11:08 PM
BigLouEx
Junior User
Totaled my V10 F250 Extended cab. Hit guard rail sliding on my side at 50 mpg, flipped and landed on my wheels. Walked a way with a bruise. Had to start the truck so the tow truck could get on the rig. Started right up. Have V10 Ex now. Same drive train and frame. Why buy a Excursion? Simple Safety! All the other things mentioned are great. Great towing my boat and now I can drive when taking trips with friends. Only thing that will get me out of this truck is Illinois rust. Then I will get another one.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:43 PM
tsmall07
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjblair
I don't understand why everyone says a diesel is more $ to maintain.(so long as we are talking about the 7.3) $30 more per oil change? Big deal. You also dont have to change it as often. The fuel is more, but you get almost twice the fuel mileage with the diesel. Mine has 160 on the clock and sure I just put a new 4r100 in it which wasnt cheap(around $2000)but now the tranny should be good for another 100k.( and you would have probably replaced the gasser transmisson sooner) The other maintenance stuff is not that big a difference from a gasser. Imo. and the maintence interval is much longer on the deisel. To me I wouldn't even look at a gas engine with 100k on it.JMHO. But I would not have any problem about buying a vehicle with a diesel engine with the same mileage

To the OP you will not regret buying an ex. I would suggest finding a 7.3 diesel. Don't even look at the 6.0. They ARE maintenance prone.
Digging up an old thread here, but I wanted to add something to the above. I also don't understand the people saying the diesel isn't worth it because they cost more. That's true, but they will still cost more when you sell it, so you'll get that money back. I can't imagine I'll ever sell mine, but the extra money was definitely worth it.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:55 AM
Alex F
Senior User
The reason I went gas instead of diesel was due to the front end cost (it was literally 2x as much for a comparable diesel) and the fact that my 18 mile commute wouldn't even warm up a diesel engine before I was shutting it down.

Now, if I was a towing man, or had a long commute, it'd be more worthwhile.