1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Cap Choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:40 PM
TEAM HARD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Cap Choice

Alright guys I need your help...
I am in the market for a truck cap for my 08 F350 with an 80" bed. I have checked out LEER, Century, Jason, and A.R.E.
1. Does anyone know of any other manufacturers that have a good rep?
2. Im looking for something that has a HD roof rack, an interior overhead gear net, a tool box (not a must have) sliding/lift out windows in the sides and a removable front sliding window, and key-less entry (not a must have). Basically I want a lot of options and the roof rack has to be rugged, Im putting an over sized spare up there with a lift and some tools (axe, shovels, etc.)
3. Special Question here... does anyone know of or have cushions that work with a cap for when they put their dogs in the bed of their truck? My dogs are both large and high energy, they dont sit well on rides in the cab with me and often end up eating a window/seat/pillar/passenger when i make a turn or hit the brakes/gas.

All this and Im trying to stay under $2500 if possible

Any help/pointers/links you guys can give are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by TEAM HARD; 11-04-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: my spelling sucks
Old 11-04-2010, 02:42 PM
driximus
Posting Guru

Only one I can think of you havent check out is Leonard. But I think they also Own Leer or are closely related.

I have a big Carpet I put in the back in the bed of my truck. And just throw my dogs pillow bed thing back there for her.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:32 PM
spinella
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-04-2010, 08:44 PM
MARCUSO
Junior User
leers are still one of my favourites for sleek looks.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Originally Posted by TEAM HARD
does anyone know of or have cushions that work with a cap for when they put their dogs in the bed of their truck?
Check out the BedRug. Our 2 100lb. labs ride back there when we go camping. It's the perfect doghouse. If it's hot we stick a fan back there along with a water bowl without having to worry about either sliding around.

All this and Im trying to stay under $2500 if possible
The link in spinella's post is my truck. $2500 is right there but I don't believe that ARE offers a top rack on that model. You'd have to go with one of the more industrial looking lids.

Originally Posted by MARCUSO
leers are still one of my favourites for leaks.
Sorry... couldn't help myself.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:39 AM
spinella
Postmaster
i added rck to my ARE cap. i'm having a hard time remembering if its thule or yakima.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:00 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I got a Leer 180 a couple months ago. It is a great cap. I got the Wilderness package with the slider 50/50's on the sides, they don't tip out. Leer stopped making them due to leakage. You can get the solid windoors that open up, but no sliders that open. I would think hard about that one though. Something I didn't consider when looking in to the windoors was how high up they are. If you intend to use them for putting items in or taking items out you may need a step stool to do it easily, if that. I do have the front removable/sliding window option on mine. The removable option is a must have. My truck's back window has the electric sliding window so if there was a way to hook the two together that would be cool. I doubt I will use them much at all though.

The wilderness package comes with the carpet liner, rack, coat hanger, locking gun box, and lights (one 12v and one battery). I opted for both 12v hardwired lights for a bit extra and got the 12v power outlet. All in all it was around $2300.

I would reccomend getting one of the CC version caps. They are commercial duty - stronger than the standard ones. That having been said, I get up on top of mine and it holds me OK when I am bolting stuff to the rack (I use it as an antenna mount). That brings up a good point. If you are going to be doing anything other than tossing a strap around a conoe to tighten it down you'll probably need to climb way up there. The rear rack is a lot easier to get to standing on the tail gate, but the one in the front you will NEED to get some height to do anything with. Pack a step ladder.

Here is a thread I had with some pictures in it of the cap.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:03 PM
BerettaMan
New User
I love my LEER lid!

Old 11-25-2010, 02:19 AM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
I had a Leer on my 99' F150, and it was a good cap. I put an ARE on my 2002 F250, and I think it's a better cap. It has slider/windoor and a front sliding window that folds down. I installed two racks for carrying a kayak, but not the heavy duty rack you're looking to put up.

When I sold my 2002 after buying my 2011, the buyer couldn't afford the truck with the cap. So, I reduced the cost and kept the cap. I had it repainted to match the 2011 for $500. Only dif in the 2011 is the weird molded top on the tailgate that makes for a non-flat surface for the cap's door to close on. Don't know what your 2008 tailgate is like, but I'm told ARE makes the doors a little shorter so they end at the very top of the tailgate instead of hanging over them.

I adjusted for the tailgate difference by just moving the cap back ever so slightly, which is about 1/4", isn't very noticable, and keeps the cap from rubbing the paint on the back of the fender where it hangs over. This cap is 7 years old now and should last a long time still.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Lossoftraction
New User
I see you are from Pa. Jeraco is a company from Milton Pa. I have a Jeraco cab height cap I bought in 2005 and still works and looks as good as it did when new. They have a website Jeraco.com. Maybe you should check them out.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:40 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
I have had my A.R.E. for almost three years. I put an 18" tool box in the front and sat the tool box on three cut 2 x 4's so I could slide stuff under. It worked out great for me. I got the color to match the bottom gold color on my F - 350 KR. Many, many, many compliments on the overall look.

Also, I first placed a black painted 4 x 8 sheet of EXT. plywood finished on side on top of the Linex. Even with that I carry a pair of knee pads to get in and out after I get off the tail gate steps.

Probably would not need the above if you are under 50!

Old 11-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Since I didn't see anyone else mention it, I have a Raider Industries shell that seems to be very well built and fits nicely.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 AM
bigseadaddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by TEAM HARD
A
3. Special Question here... does anyone know of or have cushions that work with a cap for when they put their dogs in the bed of their truck? My dogs are both large and high energy, they dont sit well on rides in the cab with me and often end up eating a window/seat/pillar/passenger when i make a turn or hit the brakes/gas.
+ on the BedRug

I have this for my dog and he is rock solid in the back! I also use my truck for hauling firewood, dirt bikes, motorcycles and gravel at times. Nothing hurts the bed rug. Just use a hose, power washer or broom to clean it up.

To mention my buddy and I have slept in the back of my truck (with our dogs) on the last duck hunt. The BedRug made all the difference!!

Old 11-26-2010, 08:48 AM
spinella
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Sand_Man
Since I didn't see anyone else mention it, I have a Raider Industries shell that seems to be very well built and fits nicely.
i like your cap. it looks like the windows are bigger than most. is there any paint rub where the cap overhngs the bed rails?

Old 11-26-2010, 09:39 AM
counciller
Senior User
i love my Leer cap as well - now if i could just figure out a way to clean the outside back window and outside front window of the cap - id be really happy. i do have a slider but just cant squeeze anything in between the two windows.

Quick Reply: Truck Cap Choice