Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is this a CPS issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:11 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 202 Likes on 108 Posts
UPDATE:

It is NOT the CPS. Though the Excursion started up and ran smoother in the driveway this morning, when my wife got to the same point on the road down from the house, the engine started stumbling again, though not as bad as before. Letting it idle for a few minutes, shutting it down, and restarting resolved the stumbling.

Strange thing is that once the truck has gone through this cycle once, there are no other symptoms at all.

Given the "cold" characteristics, I am wondering about the glow plugs or GPCM, but there is no white smoke at all on initial startup. I've also wondered about the fuel system as well, but once the truck has run for about five minutes there are no issues at all... again, this is true for both a nearly full or nearly empty tank.

Right now, here are my weekend plans:

1. pull the valve covers and see what I can find
. - put my $0.50 into the harness clips for good measure while I'm in there
. - check torque on the injectors
. - and possibly toss in a completely new set of GP's that I have sitting on the shelf.
2. pull the ICP plug because I'm seeing oil residue on the driveway and know that there is a slow loss from somewhere.
3. replace the fuel filter
4. do an oil change.
5. pull all four wheels to check the brakes out (unrelated, but necessary all the same to make sure I don't eat another rotor with a worn out brake pad somewhere).

I may just have to start some of this on Friday afternoon.

Any other ideas, guys?

Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
"RKern" ... I am having good luck with the dark purple cps .. Ford p/n F4TZ-12K073-C (or International p/n 1876736c91) ... Got mine from the PartsGuy.. $20.44 + shipping.. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214072

Old 11-04-2010, 03:51 PM
RKern
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a bunch I will order this from parts guy today. There is also a thread all about CPS just above this one that is very interesting.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:05 PM
F250_JR
Senior User
Originally Posted by F250_
UPDATE:

It is NOT the CPS. Though the Excursion started up and ran smoother in the driveway this morning, when my wife got to the same point on the road down from the house, the engine started stumbling again, though not as bad as before. Letting it idle for a few minutes, shutting it down, and restarting resolved the stumbling.

Strange thing is that once the truck has gone through this cycle once, there are no other symptoms at all.

Given the "cold" characteristics, I am wondering about the glow plugs or GPCM, but there is no white smoke at all on initial startup. I've also wondered about the fuel system as well, but once the truck has run for about five minutes there are no issues at all... again, this is true for both a nearly full or nearly empty tank.

Right now, here are my weekend plans:

1. pull the valve covers and see what I can find
. - put my $0.50 into the harness clips for good measure while I'm in there
. - check torque on the injectors
. - and possibly toss in a completely new set of GP's that I have sitting on the shelf.
2. pull the ICP plug because I'm seeing oil residue on the driveway and know that there is a slow loss from somewhere.
3. replace the fuel filter
4. do an oil change.
5. pull all four wheels to check the brakes out (unrelated, but necessary all the same to make sure I don't eat another rotor with a worn out brake pad somewhere).

I may just have to start some of this on Friday afternoon.

Any other ideas, guys?
If I wasn't working this weekend I'd stay and help you then do the same thing on my truck. If you get off early on Friday though, I might be able to at least help with the Ex.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:05 PM
F250_
Hotshot
From the AE testing done by someone in the thread mentioned above, I would stick with the black units from Clay (that's why I just ordered two of them myself and my son "F250_JR ordered one himself this morning).

Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 PM
F250_
Hotshot
So no one has any further ideas?

Old 11-05-2010, 08:54 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a bump Pete. Waiting to see what you find under the VC.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:00 AM
IABill
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Had kind of the same issue replaced two CPS still stumbled got sick of it two months ago was going to check the UVHC Started the tear down got to the wire bundle over the driver’s side valve cover unbolted it flipped it up and seen a very small burn spot on top of the valve cover where the harness set. Inspected wires and found two worn through & exposing copper. Chaffed & shorting out on top of valve cover<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600" stroked="f" filled="f" oreferrelative="t"> </v:shapetype>.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Taped up each wire then taped up the bundle then had a chunk of the plastic conduit type stuff that the rest of the wires are run through put that over the repair and taped the heck out of that problem solved for me!!!
Hope it's that easy for you!!! Good Luck!!<o></o>

Old 11-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
My truck does the same thing, but it has it's good days and it's bad. My story is that my #1 injector is either dying or the harness is shorting out on the driverside valve cover. I'll check the harness in a few minutes, but I have a bad feeling #1 is gone on my truck...I'll keep you posted.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:44 AM
F250_
Hotshot
The only thing that bothers me about it being a UV harness wire is the fact taht it only does it when the engine is warming up, and no other time at all. If it were a shorting wire, it should be more random.

I'm digging into the VC's regardless, and I do hope I find something to fix.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
The only thing that bothers me about it being a UV harness wire is the fact taht it only does it when the engine is warming up, and no other time at all. If it were a shorting wire, it should be more random.

I'm digging into the VC's regardless, and I do hope I find something to fix.
Mine is actually quite random....sometimes #1 cooperartes and sometimes it doesn't.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:56 PM
F250_
Hotshot
OK... the problem is officially BAD now. I got a call at 12 noon from the wife, and the truck had stumbled (a little further down the road from the house), but it is now an official NO START victim.

I've got the Ex back to the house easily enough because it was slightly downhill all the way home. Now that we're here, let me tell you what I've found thus far.

Oil level was way low... over a gallon and a half. I have oil in the valley, and I've know that I had a slowleak somewhere for quite a while, but didn't make the time to chase it down. Topped off the oil... NO difference at all.

What it's doing now is turning the engine over nicely (plenty of voltage), but after letting it spin the engine ofr about 10-15 seconds, it starts a high-speed chattering noise that does NOT sound like a starter noise... more like a relay chatter. This could be due to voltage drop from the load of spinning the engine that long. Regardless, the engine will not start at all... won't even try to start.

I checked the fuel bowl drain with the pump running after initial key-on, and it spits fuel greatly, so I know I have fuel pressure. I'll change the filter anyway because it's due.

I hooked up AE, and found a low injection pressure and low injection circuit code. I cleared the codes. Still no start, and the codes have not come back even though the engine will not start.

I am still planning to pull the VC's, but I am also beginning to wonder if this sounds like an ICP sensor. I tried unplugging the ICP, but that made no difference, and I did not see oil in the sensor.

So... in summary...

I have voltage.
I have fuel.
Repalced CPS twice with no improvement either time, and both CPS units were verified good running units.
I have no tell-tale codes showing up.

Any thoughts at all?

Old 11-05-2010, 06:06 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Could it be a bad IPR ? here is a thread :
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...pr-sensor.html

Old 11-05-2010, 08:55 PM
F250_
Hotshot
That is what it is beginning to look like, Clint. I'm moving the discussion over to a new thread.... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ance-asap.html

Old 11-05-2010, 09:06 PM
dzldenny
Senior User

Mine never made it to a no-start issue, but I had the warm up cutting out you described. I did ICP and it fixed it. I've read to unplug it just to test it. It should run with it unplugged. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. Mine was leaking oil so bad it was running down into the valley.