6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Backup Camera for trailer - Ideas needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Y2KPSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backup Camera for trailer - Ideas needed

I have a KR on order w/Nav & backup camera.
I'm looking for ideas on installing a camera on my trailer and interface into the existing screen. Either wired or wireless..

Ideas.....

Since I've only seen mention of this on other threads, I think this deserves it own thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:10 AM
don.joyce59
Senior User
I would be interested in this also.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:35 PM
11350KINGRANCH
Senior User
There are a few options you can look at:

I have not looked at the back of my head unit, but I would check to see what type of inputs we have back there. I have also seen some A/V cable adapters on ebay that say they are for our trucks. you could possibly use them as a camera input.

If the above doesn't work, I would look for a PAC interface for our trucks and make it work. You would have to add a switch to designate which camera you wanted to use.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:53 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't have the stock nav in my truck, where does your tailgate cam image appear? mirror or the nav?

do you want the tailgate cam too? or just the back of the trailer?

I have installed a nav unit with backup camera display in mine, and have been researching how to do this for my trailer.,. I am just about to do something.. But, I know every inch of wiring on my truck, cause I put it there..

I am going to patch into the video and power feed lines at the bumper with a connector like these
Binder-USA | Industrial and Automation Circular Connectors

when not using the trailer, I will have a screw on plug to keep the connectors covered.

when the trailer is connected, I will attach a cable from the trailer to this plug bypassing the tailgate camera.

so the connector needs 5 pins

1. power to camera
2. ground
3. video signal to monitor
---
4. video from tailgate cam
5. power to tailgate cam.
(and if you power the camera all the time from some direct source on the trailer, then u don't need the power lead pins here)

then there are three sockets
1. female- mounted in the bumper with the 5 wires above
2. male stub, 2 wires looped between pins 1<->5 power to power, and 3<->4 signal to signal - used when no trailer
3. male, wired to trailer camera
3 wires (1,2,3), power & ground to camera, video from camera.

hook up the trailer, unscrew stub connector, screw on trailer cable.

this disconnects the tailgate camera when the trailer camera is connected.

the connector needs to be waterproof, removable and secure.

to make this work with the standard wiring, you will have to cut into the harness on the chassis side to find the 3 wires up to the head unit.
I also assume there is some connector at the tailgate so you can unplug it when you pull the tailgate off. the splice will have to be on the chassis side of that connector.

now.. if you want to toggle BETWEEN cameras.. then you will need a relay at the tailgate and some additional wire to control it.
there are waterproof relays (I use them on my 55, fuel pump, fans, air pump). the 5 pin relay have a not controlled setting (87a->30) and a controlled setting (87->30)
so you would use that behind the connector above to toggle which camera signal is fed up to the head unit.

My Pioneer head unit provides 2 ways to view the rearview cam input
1. backup light automatic
2. manual control menu item, this one assumes the camera is powered on all the time.

in my case, the camera is not powered on all the time, it gets power from the backup light wire (left taillight housing) or a second wire I ran.
the second wire connects to an upfitter switch.. with a minor change, I could power my camera all the time, and use this feed line to toggle a relay as above.

sam

Old 11-01-2010, 01:23 PM
tross
New User
You could try using a lockpick installation. They claim to support a 2nd camera in addition to the factory tailgate cam.

FORD LOCKPICKS

Old 11-01-2010, 01:49 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

and u still have to wire it from the back..

Sam

Old 11-01-2010, 01:55 PM
11350KINGRANCH
Senior User
Originally Posted by tross
You could try using a lockpick installation. They claim to support a 2nd camera in addition to the factory tailgate cam.

FORD LOCKPICKS
Anyone try this yet? I would like to be able to adjust the Nav while driving or throw a DVD in for trips with passengers.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Jcbuch
Junior User
I was considering doing a wireless camera for my travel trailer. Now if I towed a trailer daily I would consider a hard wired camera.

Just my two cents

Old 11-01-2010, 02:24 PM
KRSCHWEIZ
5th Wheeling
Any idea as to $$$$ for a wireless setup, any brand that would be better over another? What

Old 11-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Y2KPSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I don't have the stock nav in my truck, where does your tailgate cam image appear? mirror or the nav?

do you want the tailgate cam too? or just the back of the trailer?

I have installed a nav unit with backup camera display in mine, and have been researching how to do this for my trailer.,. I am just about to do something.. But, I know every inch of wiring on my truck, cause I put it there..

I am going to patch into the video and power feed lines at the bumper with a connector like these
Binder-USA | Industrial and Automation Circular Connectors

when not using the trailer, I will have a screw on plug to keep the connectors covered.

when the trailer is connected, I will attach a cable from the trailer to this plug bypassing the tailgate camera.

so the connector needs 5 pins

1. power to camera
2. ground
3. video signal to monitor
---
4. video from tailgate cam
5. power to tailgate cam.
(and if you power the camera all the time from some direct source on the trailer, then u don't need the power lead pins here)

then there are three sockets
1. female- mounted in the bumper with the 5 wires above
2. male stub, 2 wires looped between pins 1<->5 power to power, and 3<->4 signal to signal - used when no trailer
3. male, wired to trailer camera
3 wires (1,2,3), power & ground to camera, video from camera.

hook up the trailer, unscrew stub connector, screw on trailer cable.

this disconnects the tailgate camera when the trailer camera is connected.

the connector needs to be waterproof, removable and secure.

to make this work with the standard wiring, you will have to cut into the harness on the chassis side to find the 3 wires up to the head unit.
I also assume there is some connector at the tailgate so you can unplug it when you pull the tailgate off. the splice will have to be on the chassis side of that connector.

now.. if you want to toggle BETWEEN cameras.. then you will need a relay at the tailgate and some additional wire to control it.
there are waterproof relays (I use them on my 55, fuel pump, fans, air pump). the 5 pin relay have a not controlled setting (87a->30) and a controlled setting (87->30)
so you would use that behind the connector above to toggle which camera signal is fed up to the head unit.

My Pioneer head unit provides 2 ways to view the rearview cam input
1. backup light automatic
2. manual control menu item, this one assumes the camera is powered on all the time.

in my case, the camera is not powered on all the time, it gets power from the backup light wire (left taillight housing) or a second wire I ran.
the second wire connects to an upfitter switch.. with a minor change, I could power my camera all the time, and use this feed line to toggle a relay as above.

sam

The backup camera displays in the NAV screen.
I would only switch between the 2 cameras when I was towing my 5th wheel. And if the trailer is detached for a day or so, no biggie.

I tow 6-8 weeks a year (1 or 2 weeks at a time).

Old 11-01-2010, 02:41 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
I like the lockpick idea... but their install instructions made it sound like you could not add a second camera unless the first one was also aftermarket. Since I have the factory tailgate cam, I'd like to add a second one to that... I sent their support address an email for clarification.

I think worst case scenario would be that I'd need to install a switch to substitute in the trailer cam input in place of the tailgate cam. Really shouldn't be too difficult. The lockpick device would just get me a few other features as well. I'll post once they reply.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:42 PM
machine62
Senior User
Originally Posted by 11350KINGRANCH
Anyone try this yet? I would like to be able to adjust the Nav while driving or throw a DVD in for trips with passengers.
I bought the lockpick setup and plan on installing it as soon as my truck is delivered (if it ever does). I will let you know how it works. I was told the nav system doesn't work on a DVD based system anymore so I am anxious to see what does / doesn't work.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:45 PM
11350KINGRANCH
Senior User
Originally Posted by machine62
I bought the lockpick setup and plan on installing it as soon as my truck is delivered (if it ever does). I will let you know how it works. I was told the nav system doesn't work on a DVD based system anymore so I am anxious to see what does / doesn't work.
Thanks. I'm interested in one if it works.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:06 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
the NAV doesn't rely on DVD for map data anymore, but it will play DVD audio or video. Without the lockpick, the video will only work in Park.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:10 PM
machine62
Senior User
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
the NAV doesn't rely on DVD for map data anymore, but it will play DVD audio or video. Without the lockpick, the video will only work in Park.
Thanks. That's the information I was looking for.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera for trailer - Ideas needed