Church Van Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:42 AM
rufustoad
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Church Van Needs Help

Hello, We have a E350 with the 5.4l engine that we use to haul kids for bible studies and we have blown the spark plug out of the head. I did install a helicoil kit but to me it was like tapping butter. Well it also blew out of the head. If this was not under such heavy loads all the time and such a large van I may just put a new head on it, but after all the research I have done, it looks like there is also rod, piston, and many other problems with this engine. I would hate to put money into this head and have lots of other problems down the road. I am thinking of putting a 6.2l in it but not sure if it is a direct fit. If anyone has a good economical idea on what we should do I would greatly appreciate it and I am sure the Lord will bless you.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->

Old 10-30-2010, 02:13 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What year? Finding a low replacement 5.4L will be the cheapest alternative. I was in the same boat, launched a plug out of the same hole twice. Required a $1700 head fix if I had the shop do it. Instead I bought a newer 120K mile engine for $870 to my door. I will say it has to be even harder to replace an engine in a van, it is bad enough in a F150 can't imagine what it would be like in an E series, wouldn't be surprised if it would need to come out from the bottom or pull the whole front fascia off.

When I was looking I came across tons of E series engines, of course they did me no good since the intakes are different.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:41 PM
rufustoad
New User
Thank you

The year is a 1999. Were you not affraid that you will have the same troubles? Have they made any modifications to the after market parts?

Old 10-30-2010, 06:09 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Knowing the mileage of the existing engine might be helpful---I'm not sure if the '99's had any more issues with spitting plugs than other years, could be wrong though.

Typically spit plugs are the result of faulty installation by someone----I'm sure there are many instances of a spontaneous problem with plugs but for the most part it seems to user originated. Carefully following recommendations including use of an anti-seize compound AND maybe Motorcraft branded plugs seems to produce the best results.

Again the mileage figures in if you're considering installing another engine----the question why change it if replacing just one head will solve the problem? On the E vans everything directly in front of the engine needs to be removed; radiator, core support, etc etc. While not that difficult in itself it does consume a lot of time but is still necessary.

Also typically the vehicle from which you'd pull a known good working engine isn't all that important since you'll transfer so much of the computer controlled items which includes the complete intake system. The only problem here is what condition is this new-to-you engine really in? It could have as many or more problems as the current one.

Were I to spend the time and money changing an engine I'd find a reliable rebuilder perhaps a Ford OEM "long block" assembly. Jasper is a great supplier and includes a time/mileage warranty which includes labor to R&R any defective engine during the warranty period. Most good independant mechanical shops would charge up to $4500 for a complete swap, a used engine will only lower that price a bit and not include a warranty of the engine.

Not sure if this helps but simply replacing the head might be more economically wise, again depending on the vehicle miles and its past service records.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:23 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
Spit plugs are best fixed with the the Timesert process, parts, and tools. The repair is better than new.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:06 PM
rufustoad
New User
The milage is 140xxx and I have done some research that has said Ford has a big problem with these heads. One site said this would have been the largest recall in automotive history. This is why I am a little scared about replacing with another. I need this to last for sometime. You are wright it will be hard either way. If someone could say that maybe Napa other has changed materials I would possibly go that direction??

Old 10-31-2010, 05:07 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I'll have to agree that the Time Sert process and tools is the only way to go if doing plug thread repair yourself, engine still in the vehicle. Vans make this a bit more complicated due the lack of room. Re-doing the thread repair already done shouldn't be a problem if better tools and inserts is used---they've been doing this since these motors were first introduced.

My '00 E250 cargo van has 241K miles and seems to be as reliable as any other vehicle I've owned over the years. At 140K miles there should be plenty of life left in it and well worth repairing even if it means replacing one head completely. An alternative would be removing the head and having an automotive machine shop install all 4 of the Time Sert inserts. Of course if you'd go to that length have the same thing done to the other head----you'd already be half way to that anyway just removing the one head.

There are too many of these vans with the 5.4l motor on the roads performing reliabily everyday to fear putting some money into proper repairs. Whle they might cost a bit more in the beginning they're worth it if you can avoid these sorts of repeated problems in the future.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:33 AM
rufustoad
New User
I sure appriciate your reply. It makes me feel better knowing you have 241k on your van and not had any problems.