1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove windshield rubber trim advice..

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:23 PM
HB_BD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remove windshield rubber trim advice..

Hi,

I have a 99 F250 that has some rust I need to address at the top of my windshield.

I plan to remove the black rubber trim on the outside of windshield, leaving the windshield in place until I'm finished then hiring a professional to come remove and reinstall the windshield with new rubber trim. I'm having the window reinstalled because it leaks at the top passenger side. While trying to figure out why the cab leaked when it rains I noticed my windshield seam isn't tight. When I pull on the rubber trim on the top passenger side I see the windshield move slightly.

Anyway, my question is about removing the rubber trim.

Can I just pull it out without dislodging the windshield? I think so, but looking for advice before I break something...

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice I should be aware of before I attempt this?

I'm pretty handy, but I've never done any body work or worked with windshields, so this is all new to me.

Thanks,
AC

Old 10-28-2010, 06:53 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
I just had my windshield replaced, and the guy took what looked like a saws-all with a special blade on it, and went all around the windshield. I believe the rubber is just laid down into the glue, but I can't be sure about that.

Guys?

Old 10-28-2010, 07:08 AM
RCKYMTN-PSD
Elder User
Just cut it off with a utility knife. I wouldnt try to repair the rust until the windshield is removed, most likely the rust is under the windshield also.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:27 AM
RCKYMTN-PSD
Elder User
Originally Posted by Krewat
I just had my windshield replaced, and the guy took what looked like a saws-all with a special blade on it, and went all around the windshield. I believe the rubber is just laid down into the glue, but I can't be sure about that.

Guys?
The molding on the SD should be already attached to the glass. It wraps the edge and usually will sit in the sealant so it wont come off.

Let the techs know youre concerned about rust in the pinchweld so they prime it properly. These newer windshields are almost impossible to remove without a few scrapes and scratches in the pinchweld. That sawzall tool or extractor will definately need to be followed by a good coat of primer. Some techs get in a hurry and skip the primer and that is the main cause of rust and leaks under the glass.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:41 AM
HB_BD
New User
Shoot! Not really what I wanted to hear, but I can work with that...

I guess I will just have the Tech come remove the window, I'll do my work and have them return to reinstall the window when I'm finished. Even though it may cost me more, it will should make my work easier without the window and I bet you're right about rust under the windshield.

I may also have them install a new windshield. I called yesterday and they quoted me $185 +tax to remove, reinstall same window with new rubber. They quoted me $220 to install a new windshield w/new rubber + lifetime warranty.

Hmm... If I go with a new windshield I may go a head and try to remove it myself because it won't matter if it gets cracked.

Thanks again,
AC

Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Futuresweets-10
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HB_BD
Shoot! Not really what I wanted to hear, but I can work with that...

I guess I will just have the Tech come remove the window, I'll do my work and have them return to reinstall the window when I'm finished. Even though it may cost me more, it will should make my work easier without the window and I bet you're right about rust under the windshield.

I may also have them install a new windshield. I called yesterday and they quoted me $185 +tax to remove, reinstall same window with new rubber. They quoted me $220 to install a new windshield w/new rubber + lifetime warranty.

Hmm... If I go with a new windshield I may go a head and try to remove it myself because it won't matter if it gets cracked.

Thanks again,
AC
Never reuse an old windshield... If one corner is loose like you say you should be able to get in the front seat and push it out with your feet very carefully with out breaking it. I would fold a large towel over a few times and put it between your feet and the window to kinda distribute the pressure. Dont push too hard, but you may be surprised how easy it comes out.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:19 PM
RCKYMTN-PSD
Elder User
Usually that will make a huge mess, if it breaks loose, great, if not dont force it so much it starts to break and fold out then you will have glass everywhere including down in your defroster vents.
If it doesnt come out easy then its a good idea to have it cut out properly. Ive seen a lot of disasters that people do to their cars trying to save a few bucks