1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:39 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know. Don't have a tach. I have 255-70 15's though if that helps.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:53 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your right around 2000 rpm at 60 mph. for your truck, your 3.00 gear might just have you right at your sweet spot for 65-70 mph highway driving. i wonder if you might see the same or a little better mileage at 75-80. if you did, you might consider down gearin to, say, 3.31s.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:40 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave804
Went to the yard and found a very special surprise for Chris today.
Dave ROCKS and is now my lifelong buddy.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:43 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Dave ROCKS and is now my lifelong buddy.
So what was the surprise? A vintage dirty mag stuffed under the seat of an old f150? lol

Old 07-31-2012, 05:51 PM
siloketh
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RAY1986F150
So what was the surprise? A vintage dirty mag stuffed under the seat of an old f150? lol
Or was it a leopard print bra from the 80's? (Peg Bundy Edition, Married with Children)

Old 07-31-2012, 06:04 PM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by RAY1986F150
He's sending me a CCRM for my brother's 1993 Taurus SHO.

CCRM = Constant Control Relay Module, it has a bunch of relays in it that control the radiator fan, the AC compressor, the fuel pump, the ignition, the IAC and the computer.

I need one with an M on it, used only in 1989-1993 and Ford stopped making them years ago. Standard Motor Products (sometimes) makes one but they're backordered right now. Any parts store I ask says: Even when it becomes available, I'll pay shipping, it'll take one week, the part is not guaranteed and is non-returnable and costs about $150.

I had sent ours to a place in Texas to be rebuilt, they couldn't fix it as the parts ours needs are no longer available.

This car has been an adventure, I think I have more Ford documentation (shop manuals) on it than I do on any other vehicle I own.

I suspect the major cause of all its electrical problems was the voltage regulator no longer regulating, thereby sending 40V (?) into the system. (I don't know that number for a fact, it's just a guess based on my measuring 18V at idle. The alternator testing machine shut off within 2 seconds of testing it. ).

This being a "modern" vehicle has got all sorts of electronic doodads all over the place, many of which needed replacing.

But I'm growing to like this car despite it being a huge PITA to work on. I got it up to 70 MPH in 2nd gear today.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:19 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

Haha now I have some extra ideas for what to put in the box...

Chris- I hope this one works. There's a group of guys that slap $into palms and get into the yards before business and take any expensive small parts. I must have looked at 30 Taurus' and the only ones left were J. I found one SHO, but it was auto. Then I spotted this beauty in the back corner. Looked like a tree fell on it, car was flattened almost in half at the bottom. No one had been able to get the hood open. I looked up in there and sure enough, the CCM was still in place. Couldn't get to it from the bottom. So, I ran home and got a set of snips. Took a bit, but I cut a 12x12 chunk off that corner of the hood, broke the plastic with a battery and a bit of wire, and finally got to it. Man are those little bolts tiny! What is the size anyway?

Old 07-31-2012, 06:31 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
4mm heads on the plug I know, I have two vehicles with CCRMs, a 94 Taurus LX and a 95 Continental (sort of a Taurus SHO on steroids, 4.6L DOHC aluminum V8).

Old 07-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
He's sending me a CCRM for my brother's 1993 Taurus SHO.

But I'm growing to like this car despite it being a huge PITA to work on. I got it up to 70 MPH in 2nd gear today.
We test-drove an SHO back in '88 when we moved back from the UK. I'd read everything in print about new cars as what's available here isn't what's available there so we couldn't test until we got back. In spite of the wonderful Yamaha engine, it was still a Taurus. We didn't get out of the parking lot before deciding NO!

Old 07-31-2012, 06:55 PM
ctubutis
Haha now I have some extra ideas for what to put in the box...

Chris- I hope this one works. There's a group of guys that slap $into palms and get into the yards before business and take any expensive small parts. I must have looked at 30 Taurus' and the only ones left were J. I found one SHO, but it was auto. Then I spotted this beauty in the back corner. Looked like a tree fell on it, car was flattened almost in half at the bottom. No one had been able to get the hood open. I looked up in there and sure enough, the CCM was still in place. Couldn't get to it from the bottom. So, I ran home and got a set of snips. Took a bit, but I cut a 12x12 chunk off that corner of the hood, broke the plastic with a battery and a bit of wire, and finally got to it. Man are those little bolts tiny! What is the size anyway?
5.5 mm.

SAE 7/32 works, too.

I hope it works, too, but this one will only be a spare so it's not a real huge deal if it doesn't.

The night before me & you started talking, I was telling my brother about all the hassles I'd been having trying to buy these things online (places claiming they have it In Stock and accept my money but ultimately can't deliver).

And I got pointed to a site called SHO Source... Looks to be about 3 guys with a junkyard of SHO's, they also sell things such as brake upgrades and whatnot.

They know what an M is and THEY HAVE THEM! Used but tested and allegedly good but no guarantee. About $80 each.

My brother ordered some T-shirts from the place, just as a test to see how they as a business would respond to an online order. Oddly enough, they immediately responded and confirmed and all that stuff.

So, I ordered two of the things that night.

The next day, one of the guys over there wrote me and asked to confirm I wanted two because most people only want one.

I wrote him back, thanked him for responded, and told him yes, I want two, I have spent half the summer looking for this thing and don't want to go through this again the next time it fails.

They arrived two days later!!!!!

Didn't fix ALL of the problems but it *did* make the fuel pump error the computer was throwing go away.

As for the other problem - one last computer error saying it can't control the high idle speed or some such (DTC412) it ended up being tht I needed to install a factory airbox in place of the K & N thing that was on it. Used different MAF & ACT sensors at the same time, apparently those oiled filters foul the MAF sensor but I suspect the airbox had more to do with it.

It had been failing its Emission test with high NOx output.... usually the result of high combustion chamber temperatures, generally caused by a lean condition.

Lean condition... not enough fuel.... to much air... TOO MUCH AIR!!!!

Factory airbox fixed that, and it just today FINALLY passed its Emissions test!

I am so happy! That car has been an ordeal for around one year now, but it's now finally at this point.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

I thought about googling how to test this on there in the yard. But, it was raining pretty steady and I wanted to get home for lunch, so I just paid and left.

You can never have enough spare parts. If nothing else, it's $ in hand. I haven't owned a BMW in almost 4 years not () Earlier this summer I got a call from an old friend that was traveling through from ME to FLA. "Hey dave, you have an -883 casting head laying around?" "Yep, got two of them."

He got a tow to my house, we spent all night rebuilding his engine and hanging out. Gave me $300 too.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I thought about googling how to test this on there in the yard. But, it was raining pretty steady and I wanted to get home for lunch, so I just paid and left.

You can never have enough spare parts. If nothing else, it's $ in hand. I haven't owned a BMW in almost 4 years not () Earlier this summer I got a call from an old friend that was traveling through from ME to FLA. "Hey dave, you have an -883 casting head laying around?" "Yep, got two of them."

He got a tow to my house, we spent all night rebuilding his engine and hanging out. Gave me $300 too.
Yup, kinda nice when they ask and you say "sure". Just the other day someone said "Gary, do you have a trailer hitch to fit these trucks?" I said "sure". We bolted it on and he towed what was left of some poor grandfather's one-owner '80 back.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:17 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

Haha. I didn't realize that's the truck Ray brought home. Now there's two fellas that need a good smack.

I always wanted to be the good old boy growing up. Now that people are supporting themselves, I get tons of calls. "Should it cost $300 to change my locks..."

My cousin, my age, just got married. His wife was quoted $10,000 for a 16x16 patio. Got a call from him "I went to Lowe's, I'm pretty sure it should be like $500 in materials. Can the truck make it all the way up here?" Should have some nice pics of the truck doing work this weekend.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Earlier this summer I got a call from an old friend that was traveling through from ME to FLA. "Hey dave, you have an -883 casting head laying around?" "Yep, got two of them."

Dave,
After your tale of the mother/daughter in need of repair and this, you ought to get yourself one of these Blue Max badges in your sig.
Do a search and you will see where it started.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:30 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I get requests for truck recoveries all the time. My baby Ranger 4x2 is half the size of some of the trucks I've pulled from the mud, but those 4.10 gears are always ready to pull.

When I get my F150 going, I'll be using that for recoveries, since it will be much better suited for pulling, and mud use.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?