1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
What did I do to my truck today? Discovered this:
You are looking at the bed light and the associated gap 'tween it and the cab. Judging by the saw-toothed edge I'd say the truck didn't come out of the factory this way. And, I may have a clue as to why the carpet is rotten and there's rust showing on the rear corner of the cab.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 PM
MartyRayII
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good catch though I bet you will be happy to get that nuisance taken care of.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:30 PM
guindian28
Senior User
finally got a timing light and corrected the timing, the dang thing was set at 14 degrees btdc, so I rolled it back to 8. seems to be more responsive coming out of turns and from dead stops. also found a jy right outside town that my neighbor told me about having old ford truck parts, this guy's out in the sticks a bit, but he's got a ton of stuff. picked me up a set of black center caps for when I powdercoat my wheels for $2 a piece, unfortunately didn't have a whole lot of time to look around, but definitely going back.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 PM
6fifty_f1fifty
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swapped the rear end from the parts truck to the dd, not quite done yet though. Busted a brake line, cut another e-brake line because I couldn't get it off. Good thing I have extra parts...

Damn near busted three of my fingers when the rear end and springs slipped off of the floor jack they were on. My fingers were in between the main springs and the overload springs guiding the axle while another guy was pushing the jack. Needless to say my fingers hurt like a beeotch right now.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:04 AM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Myself and my uncle pulled all the fenders, doors and hood. We sanded them all down and primered and painted the vent cowl. It looks damn sexy in that Orange color! Next weekend have it painted and hit the seats with some rit dye and get ready to throw her back together.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cleaned and re-gasketed the pushrod cover yesterday on the '80 F-150 in an attempt to stop the persistent oil leak I've had.

Drove it to work today, and now it is sitting in my employer's parking lot where it will be evaluated for leakage after sitting for a couple more hours.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, if the driveway will dry off enough, I plan to get under my truck and track down the source of the ATF leak. At first, I thought it was the pan gasket, but I'm starting to suspect the cooler lines, as it seems to be getting worse. Kinda hard to get under the truck with all the snow melting off this fast, as there's a river/lake under the truck. Driving it to a drier location would cause the exhaust to heat up, and that's rather close to where I'll need to have my arms......
I'm thinking the lines have been rubbing each other. Prolly rubbed a small hole thru one of them, and it's getting bigger.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
RW - Are you sure you are looking at your truck not mine? The only, and its a major, difference is I have mine on the lift in the shop.

So, wanna bring it up? We'll take a look at yours and put mine outside. 859-7400 Call me.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
That's right, you're dealing with the same thing. A lift would sure be nice. Maybe we can solve 2 C6 leaks in short order.

Still waiting for my replacement phone to arrive, so I'll PM you.
Thankfully, the weather is warming up nicely....

Old 02-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Greyf100
Elder User
started picking up paint today, also the cab is under first primer coat / sealer.

Better pic of the hood:

Old 02-15-2011, 05:20 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Why didn't you pull all the doors and stuff bud?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:28 PM
okiepc1
Senior User
I see why ya got the new hood, mine is going to get that way if I don't get busy. You're making a lot of headway & lookin good

okiepc1

Old 02-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Greyf100
Elder User
Originally Posted by glovemeister
Why didn't you pull all the doors and stuff bud?
The inside just needs sanded and normal "high build" primer, this was an Epoxy primer we shot over the bare metal to seal it. The jambs will be sanded, but not to bare metal. Also the Interior paint is in good shape, just needs a bit of cleaning, it's also already black and grey so no need to waste paint or labor.
The windows will all be pulled once we're ready to paint (not until warmer weather), there will be a lag time in the next few months where i'll have to drive the truck home and get it out of my father in laws garage until we paint.

The previous owner (i know it was probably his son, since i bought the truck from the original purchaser) had walked or climbed across the hood and buckled it in a few spots, I picked this hood up for less then half the price of a gallon of bondo. Even if i'd have bondo'd the hood with the flexible nature of the hood and the direct heat from the motor there's a high possibility it would've cracked under the paint and ruined my fresh paint job.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
I took my truck to Gary's, and put it on the lift. Found the source of my trans leak pretty quick. The cooler line was loose.....
After that, we set about replacing the front brake hoses, as one decided to start leaking. I'm kinda surprised it lasted this long, or that only one was leaking. They were looking nasty.

Couldn't find any sign of a leak on his trans, though. But his truck also decided to start leaking brake fluid. Dern things must be in cahoots. LOL.

Gary, thanks again for letting me use the lift. Sure made it easier to see that loose cooler line, and certainly made it much easier to replace those brake hoses.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:32 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Had a headlight die tonight...not the one with water in it(go figure). Decided to just change em both, and went with the sylvania silverstars. Look pretty good. Have been thinking about the HID upgrade, but never sure about the cheap materials they seem to be made of. Got the y-pipe in the mail yesterday, and waiting on the Lokar throttle cable and bracket to come this week. Then doing the compression check this weekend so I can get to ordering the DUI!

Wish I was anywhere even close to you guys, I could sure use the ease of a lift! My truck is leaking some oil, and my brakes have been getting a little squishy. I would like to be able to lift it up and find it real quick, instead of laying down in the rivers of water one day, or the ice in frigid weather the next.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?