Sponsored by: DP Tuner

More Power

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 09:02 AM
99sdpstd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up More Power

I have a 99 CC SD PSD. I have already done a Hypertech Power Programmer lll (what a differance), Is there any other things I could do to get a little more proformance???
Does the K&N air intake kit really make a difference?? Can I do anything with the wqaste gate???
Any info would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Old 02-25-2003, 12:01 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More Power

Do you have gauges on the truck?? If not get some gauges.

An intake like the AFE or Tymar will help out. As will a new exhaust system from the turbo back.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2003, 01:34 AM
Distinctive Dave
Senior User
More Power

You could actually go one step further and remove the programmer and get a computer chip. Some chips can be programmed all the way up to 150HP addition. I would recommend staying around 80HP if you dont want to break stuff. The programmer you have i think is adding around 50HP. You could also do stuff like a new turbo, banks housing, ATS compressor housing, injectors, propane, nitrous, ez edge box. Just to name a few.

Old 02-26-2003, 10:00 AM
lostbuckaroo
Senior User
More Power

I have a K & N intake kit on mine. I think it made alot of difference. I realy like the K & N becuase it is so easy to clean. I would suggest getting a spare filter though, so you don't have to wait for the other to dry after you clean it.

I'm still running the original exhast with the muffler cut out. Just straight pipe.

Hope this Helps.

Old 02-26-2003, 10:25 AM
99sdpstd
Junior User
More Power

Originally posted by lostbuckaroo
I have a K & N intake kit on mine. I think it made alot of difference. I realy like the K & N becuase it is so easy to clean. I would suggest getting a spare filter though, so you don't have to wait for the other to dry after you clean it.

I'm still running the original exhast with the muffler cut out. Just straight pipe.

Hope this Helps.

By cutting out the muffler did this change the sound?? (I am assuming yes) Is there any down falls to running straight??
Please enlighten me I appreciate it???

Old 02-26-2003, 10:31 AM
99sdpstd
Junior User
More Power

Hey Distinctive Dave,

What happen to the light over the cab??? Not STD in 2001???

Old 02-26-2003, 10:32 AM
Distinctive Dave
Senior User
More Power

It changes the sound. Some people like it some dont. I have a 5 inch exhaust with no muffler on my truck and love. I have also had only compliments on the sound. My buddy cut his muffler off of the stock exhaust. It also sounds good, just not as deep as a 5 inch exhaust. Also by cutting off the muffler you will lower your EGT's.

Old 02-26-2003, 10:34 AM
Distinctive Dave
Senior User
More Power

Are you talking about running lights? The little $55 option that they did not put on my truck. Only thing i wish i had, but i took the truck off of the lot for a screaming deal, so i had to grin and bear it.

Old 02-26-2003, 10:44 AM
99sdpstd
Junior User
More Power

yea that is what I was sayin. It kind of looks differant without the light but if you got a great deal I guess you will have to live without them.

In responce to the exhaust. What did you do to cut out the core?? This seems to be a cheap fix for my "beefy rumble" fix

Old 02-26-2003, 01:22 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
More Power

If you already have the programmer, I hope you have done the exhaust and gauges. The Tymar and AFE intakes will outperform and outfilter the K&N. If you like a reusable filter, go with the AFE. If you like the open element throwaway filters, go with the Tymar. Replace the turbo downpipe and get a 4" exhaust system. Most people would agree that if you run any kind of chip or programmer that gauges are a must. If you don't have gauges, intall them ASAP.

Old 02-26-2003, 01:43 PM
lostbuckaroo
Senior User
More Power

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Distinctive Dave
It changes the sound. Some people like it some dont. I have a 5 inch exhaust with no muffler on my truck and love. I have also had only compliments on the sound. My buddy cut his muffler off of the stock exhaust. It also sounds good, just not as deep as a 5 inch exhaust. Also by cutting off the muffler you will lower your EGT's. [/QUOTE

Ditto: Exactly what Dave said.

Dave where did you get your 5 inch exhast?

Old 02-26-2003, 08:09 PM
Distinctive Dave
Senior User
More Power

I got my 5 inch exhaust from www.hypermaxdiesel.com but the online store here also has a 5 inch exhaust system.

Old 02-28-2003, 01:44 PM
diezelonly
New User
More Power

be carefull if you use a k&n, they just don't seem to fit the air box right. OPEN AIR FILTER ONLY WAY TO GO.

Old 03-01-2003, 10:55 PM
hodgekuter
Senior User
More Power

I have the HyperTech PPIII in my '01 PSD and it really does all I need. I called HyperTech before loading the program just to pick their brains about larger downpipe and elevated EGT's. They claim that with the 50 hp version there is no definitive need for above extras. Should I go for the 80 hp version, then the guages and downpipe would be recommended.

Bill B. Luv my PSD